Quantcast

SBRGTV Choppy HD, Skipping Frames and HDMI

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by ctgtvuser, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

Hi all - new to the Forum but I've been tracking since I brought home my Sony Blu Ray GTV box a few weeks ago and you're a good bunch! I'm pleased to be an "early adopter" and all that goes with that. Now ... for the choppy HD and apparent HD image skipping frames. I've read a few posts on this but couldn't find the explicit post, so I wanted to post a new thread.

I'm convinced the image chop is not associated with my cables, the DVR or cable connection, the DVR or the HDTV. Rather, I believe its associated with background processing in the Sony or GTV affecting the HDMI output (its a feed thru system) that occasionally overflows (given the problem seems intermittent and tends to reset). Noting this particularly when watching HD sports (b-ball or f-ball) on HD/720p, the live HD video will occasionally appear to skip frames and comes across as choppy or staggered ... quite annoying and hopefully doesn't set anyone into seizure. Is GTV and/or Sony aware of this and how do we get them to take some action, soon!? Can a GTV technician please repost your plans on this?

2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Does it stay choppy, and you do a reset?, or does it clear itself up and do it sporadically??
    I've seen issues with some of the Sony's having those problems.. but, some of them do a reset, and it is fine for a long time..

3. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

I noticed you had involvement with the choppy TV discussion in other threads ... so here goes. It clears itself or by reset in several ways but it always comes back: 1) I simply let the channel play on and it seems to go away after a minute or two, but will come back several minutes later; 2) I switch out of TV via the Home function then I switch back and sometimes/usually it goes away, but will come back several minutes later; or 3) I hard shutdown (power reset) everything (SBRGTV, DVR) and then turn on and it usually comes back after several minutes. This is a fairly regular and expected phenomenon since I've hooked my SBRGTV box into the system - but never saw this before with direct DVR to TV via HDMI. I only really notice it though during HD sports programming - which for me, this time of year, is quite a regular watch. I'm thinking its software or process/time management - but that's the limit of my expertise kicking in. Other threads have made reference to similar occurrences noted especially when watching sports programs. Any thoughts or ideas?

4. sparkyscott21

Humm, have you tried a different hdmi cable?? If you got one lying around, give it a try.. of course make sure it's plugged in all the way, of which you probably tried already....
    Maybe try moving the hdmi to another input on the TV and see if it follows when you change the settings.. I'm not certain enough to know if it's a handshake issue or not..

5. palms

palms New Member

I just wanted to say that I am having the exact same problem as you described below. It is a serious issue that needs to be resolved some way. This started happing after the big update last month.

6. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

I have DirectTV and have the same problem here. I have only noticed it during sports but it is ultra annoying. I agree with palms that it only started after the big update last month (and was not fixed in the micro update last Sunday). The good thing about that is we know it is a software problem that can be fixed. I have done some experimentation and can confirm it is not an hdmi cable problem.

ctgvuser, I know I have mentioned this a few times within my various replies on this forum but I am very surprised to see that there was no specified post for it. Good idea to formalize it.

As for a GTV technician, I for one have seen no substantive signs of life from Sony. They did fix the sound issue in the big update last month but even that lacked any acknowledgment on their website. It would be really great (i.e. give confidence that they have a real team working on making their product better like Logitec clearly has) if they had a blog of some kind where they listed the substance of each update and identified known problems they are addressing. If anyone knows of such an info source, please let me know.

7. sparkyscott21

Humm..
    I have Direct TV as well, and have not seen any issues what so ever...
    Looking at post after post in different sections of this site, it generally seems to be related to Sony's..
    Not all.. Just in general.. As long as we all keep posting the issues in the right sections of this site, there are GTV people that go thru some of the issues..

8. dsweet21

dsweet21 New Member

Just wanted to let fellow suffers know they are not alone. Whenever I am watching HD sports, the image will sporadically become slightly choppy, lasting anywhere from several minutes to half an hour. Changing the channel, resetting the box, etc does not seem to help. Also, when i run the hdmi cable straight from cable box to my TV, the feed is fine.

A call to Sony tech support was fruitless. The rep told me it might be a problem with the box itself. But after reading this thread, it appears (and i hope) that it is a software issue that can be remedied with an update.

If anyone has any fixes it would be much appreciated.

9. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. Its important that we keep this thread alive and active. Problem is still out there and there is nothing we can do to fix it until Sony or GTV get the message this is a system problem and not a user configuration problem. Or, at least research it and tell us how to fix it if it is. If anyone knows how to get this thread into the right hands at GTV or Sony, I think it would be a good idea. Otherwise, just keep using the forum and see if we can get others to actively let us know if they're having similar problems. So, to sparkyscott21's suggestion, keep posting!

10. ntranch@earthlink.net

ntranch@earthlink.net New Member

I have sony NSZ GT1 google. I noticed that the sony tv with built in google have only a 60hz refresh rate. can the set top player be the same and could that be the problem with the choppy picture?

11. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

I'm not expert here regarding the point you raise; however, since the choppy image is seemingly random and sometimes self corrects, it doesn't sound to me like a condition related to a constant frame or refresh rate. The symptom seems to line up with something more of a processor or memory element hitting some kind of limit ... and causing the image output from the box to be impacted in some way. No expert here though and that is why someone from Sony/Google should let us all know what we might be dealing with. Put the attached link in your browser and this will give you the finer details on frame versus refresh rate for HDTVs. That said, if someone who is more versed in this than me wants to weigh in, I'm all eyes.

Video Frame Rate vs Screen Refresh Rate - What You Need To Know About Video Frame Rate and Screen Refresh Rate

12. hakabo

hakabo New Member

i have posted another thread on here somewhere, and had numerous replies about this same issue. as with the rest of you, i had no problems when i first got the box and never before the purchase. it is VERY frustrating. do we have a general idea if it is certain sony boxes or all sony boxes?

13. scottbridges

scottbridges New Member

Same exact problem as everyone else. Choppy video that's extremely annoying and noticeable while watching sports. Comcast Motorola DCX-3400 + Sony Blu-Ray Google TV + Sony 46" Bravia KDL-46XBR9. So frustrating. It is definitely NOT the cable box or the television.

14. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

This is such a huge problem I just can't believe they didn't fix it within days. They created the problem with an update so I just can't believe it would be that hard to fix it.

Does anyone have a Sony box that has not seen this problem? That would be an interesting data point to know about.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  15. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

So I watched several basketball games today in HD on CBS and the experience is frustrating. Since I started this thread a couple of weeks ago, we have confirmed a consistent problem with the Sony devices running Google TV. I'm sure many users may either not watch HD sports or simply aren't thinking its anything unusual and further aren't familiar with this forum. However, WE know better. If there is a GoogleTV person on this forum and/or someone can point me to Sony support, I will gladly take this up with them and I suggest those that have responded to this link do the same.

16. ntranch@earthlink.net

ntranch@earthlink.net New Member

I have the problem with regular TV in addition to live sports. Everything points to the Sony player. I am going to return it but I will keep an eye on this post.

17. scottbridges

scottbridges New Member

Just removed my Sony Google TV Blu-Ray as a "pass-through" and set it up as a separate input on my HDTV. THE SONY GOOGLE TV BLU-RAY IS THE CULPRIT!!!! I now have a smooth video signal from cable box directly to the television. Unfortunately, this eliminates most of what makes Google TV unique as a seamless integration into my existing television and cable box. I am SO disappointed. If an update is not available soon, I will begin the complaint process and demand some type of compensation or refund from Sony.

18. pls1223

pls1223 New Member

I continue to have problems with choppy picture. Instead of friends coming over to watch the game yesterday, I went to their house to watch in on their TV (without HD).:( I will bypass the box for the superbowl. Is this a problem with all of the blu ray boxes? If not then maybe I will return for another box, If yes then maybe I will just return it. Somebody please come up with something!

19. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

I don't want everyone to return their boxes, rather to demand a software update ASAP from Sony and/or Google. I think we need to start a mass email/phone calling and trouble reporting campaign to Sony. I would be certain to reference this Forum, this thread, and do not let them tell you its the cable box or the TV set. This problem is most definitely inside their box. I would also let Google know (anyone have their access info??) as this is affecting their product reviews as well. I really like the end product, but this problem has got to be resolved.

Here's the web link to the Sony email support (cut/paste this in your browser):
    https://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/contact-email.pl?

Also, here is the phone access info for Sony tech support.
    1-800-222-7669
    Hours:
    Mon-Fri 8:00AM-12:00AM (Midnight) ET
    Sat-Sun 9:00AM-8:00PM E

20. Rich Williams

Rich Williams New Member

I have the Sony NSZ-GT1 Google box...
    Whenever I am watching HD sports, I too experience the staggered choppy frame rate during football and basketball live games...it's intermittant and lasts for a few minutes, then returns to normal, say after a commercial LOL. Then returns again later on....ugh.
    -Rich