Quantcast

Samsung's HomeSync Android TV Box Hits Stores October 6th For $299

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 3, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Samsung 's HomeSync Android TV box hits stores October 6th for $299 (click for full article)

by Sarah Silbert - Oct. 3, 2013

-- Samsung gave us a look at HomeSync at Mobile World Congress earlier this year, but the Android TV box is just making its way to market now. Starting October 6th, the HomeSync will be available for $299 at Best Buy, Amazon and several other retailers.

The Jelly Bean-powered box lets you use Galaxy phones or tablets as a remote control, and it offers 1TB of storage for up to eight user accounts. Naturally, you'll be able to sync and share content from your mobile devices to your big screen, as well as surf the web and stream your content wirelessly. To get connected, your TV needs an HDMI connection -- and that's about it. Check out our hands-on for a closer look.

2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

WTH $299, who do they think they are?...Apple.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

There may be some small market interested, I know I am not interested, that video will likely be the last time I spend looking at the product. I can't imagine someone thought calling the 1TB HD the home cloud was a good idea and if that catches on, I will be very surprised. With Chromecast, Google TV, Samsung HomeSync, Archos TV Connect and all of the various "Android TV" devices, I would think Android will have a pretty big share of the market. I think Archos TV was really DOA but I mentioned it anyway and it wouldn't surprise me if this Samsung product is DOA.

I thought it was interesting that there was no mention of Netflix, Vudu, Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime. I also couldn't tell much about the browser, what it is capable of.

5. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I actually quite like the concept and may suit my needs as most of the family have Samsung Mobiles/Tablets already. Given that we will continue to use Samsung in the future, I think we may consider it.
    However I would have put a minimum 2TB HD to start off, and relook at the $299 starting price.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Trying to create an eco system like Apple and doing it at 3x the price sounds risky. Of course this should appeal to a Samsung customer, but they'd better nail the integration so content can be shared, viewed, and stored seamlessly among the Samsung devices.

7. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

The video shows it done well, but who knows what it's like in the live environment.