Quantcast

Samsung To Launch Smart TV Converter Kit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 9, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Samsung to Launch Smart TV Converter Kit | PCWorld (click for full article)

"Samsung on Sunday showed a device that converts standard televisions into smart TVs, providing high-definition Internet access, Skype video conferencing and a small wireless keyboard remote.

The world's largest seller of TVs, which will launch Internet-enabled models this year based on the Google TV platform, aims to offer a low-cost product that doesn't require purchasing a new set. TV and electronics manufacturers are racing to find a winning formula for so-called smart TVs, which add Web content to traditional programming.

Samsung displayed the InTouch device at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. It resembles a Web camera and is designed to be perched atop standard TV sets, hooking into a household's existing wireless Internet network. It will debut in the U.S. in April for US$199.

"We're trying to focus on people who can't afford smart TVs," said Henry Kim, a lead project manager for the device at Samsung. "We want to give them the experience of connecting from their living room."

The InTouch runs Android version 2.3, with a modified interface that runs a limited set of pre-approved apps, including YouTube, Skype, a standard Web browser and a photo sharing program. Its hardware includes a front-facing camera, dual microphone and HDMI output. A main focus of the software is its custom Skype interface, which is featured prominently and billed as hassle-free to set up.

The device also comes with a QWERTY keyboard-equipped remote about the size of a mobile phone.

Kim said the InTouch will also be offered abroad, though the U.S. is the main focus."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Here is a link to a nice picture of the new Samsung inTouch Smart TV converter (with the camera) and also the controlller:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...w/2012/01/09/gIQALhEZlP_gallery.html#photo=11

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

I was really hoping that Samsung was going to release a GTV set-top box - which they still might - however I hope they didn't decide on this Smart TV converter 'instead' of a GTV box. Samsung isn't scheduled to show off GTV products at CES - so I'm still crossing my fingers. I'm sure they will at least have a full GTV television. Thus far the LG GTV products announced are all full televisions.

3. vetvito

vetvito New Member

Comcast will have Skype and other Apps on their new cable boxes. I'm hoping Google gets GTV inside Motorola cable boxes, so we will only have one box.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

4. CatfishRivers

Not everybody that wants to use GTV wants to have to rent/use a cable box from the cable company. (I get my cable TV by directly hooking up the cable to the back of my TV (without cable box). I don't have the full GTV integration this way - but that's not something I'm interested in. Thats why I like a GTV box such as the Logitech Revue. And I prefer a GTV box instead of purchasing a full TV with GTV baked in.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  5. CatfishRivers

Samsung inTouch TV Hands-on - SlashGear (click for full article)

"Just a short bit after we first reported on the Samsung inTouch camera we also got our first chance at a close-up encounter with the little beast.

This camera is a Wi-fi enabled webcam-like device that allows you to turn your gigantic home television into a 720p conferencing station, fully integrated with Skype. This little device also allows you to browse the web and use YouTube on your television with ease. And what's best? It's doing so with Android!

That little creature is finding his way into everything this season, Android here and Android there, Android everywhere. This Samsung device isn't the first and isn't the last to use a heavily skinned version of the Google mobile OS, with other examples existing inside the same show we got to see this device in! How about that?

You just connect this device to your television with a single HDMI cable and wham, you're well on your way to creating a chatting station for you, your son or daughter, and your grandmother. This device will go on sale in March and will be priced at the low low spot of $199.99. Sounds like a fabulous deal of a grab to us, especially since it comes with such a radical remote control as well!"

Samsung inTouch camera hands-on:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014