Quantcast

Samsung Has Acquired MOVL To Build Out Better Multi-Screen Mobile And TV Apps

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 7, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting. I was wondering why the MOVL GTV Spotlight apps were removed. They included "Kontrol TV", "WE Draw", "Poker Fun", WE Teli, Trivia Fun, plus a few others.

Samsung Has Acquired MOVL To Build Out Better Multiscreen Mobile And TV Apps | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Ryan Lawler - May 6, 2013

"Over the last few years, Samsung has been working hard on building technology to improve the communication between its connected TVs and mobile devices, whether they be iOS or Android phones or tablets. Well, the company has acquired MOVL, a startup that should provide even more help in that category.

MOVL is the maker of the Kontrol.tv API platform, which lets developers create apps to connect TVs via the cloud, as well as mobile phones on home networks. The platform was fully launched last fall, after a year-and-a-half that the MOVL team spent building the system."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had made a thread about those apps on GTV about 6 months ago:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...v-we-teli-2-new-google-tv-spotlight-apps.html

Hopefully GTV can get them back???? It's time For Google to Open Up the Wallet to Samsung -;)

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Most of these apps from MOVL are available as android downloads (apps) from the Google Play Store (see link below) - however those apps are not compatible with my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1). The MOVL apps that were removed from the GTV Spotlight section were "web apps" (specially designed web sites for TV that work in the Chrome browser).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WxsLDEwMiwiY29tLm1vdmwud2V0ZWxpLmFuZHJvaWQiXQ..

So apparently the way it worked was the user downloads the MOVL android app to their mobile device and uses the mobile device as a controller - in conjunction with the corresponding MOVL GTV web app (that used to be in the Spotlight section)......

and

now if you have a Samsung Smart TV my hunch is they (Samsung) will have an app to make it work on their own smart TVs. It might even come preloaded (built-in) on Samsung Smart TVs.

Last edited: May 7, 2013