Quantcast

Samsung Chromebox As A Web TV Set-Top Box Alternative?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 3, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I noticed that recently Samsung refreshed it's Chromebox with a new sleeker looking white case. I believe the hardware is still the same as their intitial Chromebox:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebox.html#overview

I noticed that on Amazon this new version is currently selling for only $249.99. I believe the original version cost around $350. The new Chromebox on Amazon currently has an excellent rating of 4.4 stars (out of a possible 5 stars) from the Amazon Customer Reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE300M22-B01US-Chromebox/dp/B00B3R4W62/ref=pd_sim_pc_4

I noticed that in reading the reviews - many users mentioned that they have their Chromebox connected to a TV. Several users also mentioned that they used to use the MSNTV set-top box (the original Web TV device) that gained popularity in the 1990's. I am one of those and I read on this Forum of many former MSNTV users migrating over to Google TV.

I'm not advocating that a Chromebox is better than GTV - merely that it's different. IMO depending on one's specific needs and preferences the Samsung Chromebox could make an interesting choice for a TV box. Obviously if you are big into android apps the Chromebox probably wouldn't appeal to you. But if you spend most of your time in the Chrome browser - it would make more sense. I'll list a few pluses and minuses of the Chromebox. Please feel to add to the list and post your opinions and viewpoints.

Pluses:

1) Always will have the latest desktop Flash with the Pepper Flash plug-in on the Chrome browser. As such can access sites sush as Hulu, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX etc.

2) has Netflix

3) has tons of Chrome extensions from the Chrome Web Store. I refer to these as "web apps".

4) extremely fast boot time

5) Simple to use. Automatic OTA updates from Google. Google seems intent to offering good support.

6) No viruses or malware

7) doesn't use much power

Minuses:

1) currently no Skype support

2) currently no Microsoft Silverlight support.

3) no android market

4) this is probably a minor issue - but the Chromebox doesn't have an HDMI port. But the simple solution that everyone uses is to purchase a $10 Display Port to HDMI converter cable from Amazon.

5) overall probably not as fully functional compared to a full Windows PC - (but Chrome OS is evolving and getting better all the time). The trade-off is simplicity and fast booting. (Good for someone that spends most of their time in Chrome browser).

Please feel free to add to the list.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. guest

guest Active Member

On Amazon, one can respond to a review. I've never done so before, but someone needs to ask these reviewers how they are using the Chromebox with a TV. For it to be a Web TV alternative, you would need a remote or combination remote/keyboard. Does this Chromebox come with a detachable keyboard. It's about ease of use and Samsung needs to address the issue in its marketing materials. Perhaps include a remote in the packaging.

I, for one, am becoming disenchanted with the balkanization of "Google TV", what with the barrage of alternatives: Logitech, Sony, Vizio, Hisense and others. I visit GoogleTVForum, but don't generally read the subforums about Vizio, Sony or Hisense because the comments probably aren't pertinent to a Logitech user.

With the original WebTV/MSNTV2 forums, you would sometime get 1,000 posts per day - most would be helpful because WE WERE ALL USING ONE DEVICE!

So if Samsung comes around to simplifying the TV/Mobile experience with a Chromebox - "Use the Chromebox on the go as a laptop, when you leave home, or connect it to a large-screen TV at home or work" - then I'm ready to swear "allegiance" to Samsung. And to hell with the many faces of "Google TV".

At least we can be assured that there won't be a Vizio Samsung Chromebox or Sony Samsung Chromebox or Hisense Samsung Chromebox, etc. Lamentably, there will probably be a Vizio Chromebox and a Hisense Chromebox and an LG Chromebox, etc. and this same balkanization. Is this called technological progress? There's gotta be a better way.

3. CatfishRivers

The Chromebox doesn't come packaged with a remote/keyboard. You would need to buy an optional wireless keyboard to use with the Chromebox.

If you prefer a portable Samsung Chrome OS alternative - the Samsung ARM Chromebook is currently the number 1 selling laptop on Amazon. Keep in mind the specs will be different compared to the Chromebox (the Chromebox runs an Intel chip while the latest Samsung Chromebook runs an ARM chip):

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE303C12-A01US-Chromebook-Wi-Fi-11-6-Inch/dp/B009LL9VDG

* There is also a new Acer Chromebook that comes with a hard drive (and Intel chip):

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C710-248...dp/B00BB9OXK2/ref=amtcd_B009LL9VDG_B00BB9OXK2

4. guest

guest Active Member

One needs to maintain a spreadsheet just to keep track of the various brand spec's!

5. CatfishRivers

Since I would be using my Chrome OS device as a dedicated device for a TV - I would personally prefer the Chromebox over a Chromebook. The Chromebox has a dedicted ethernet port - which I think is a good thing to have for a device that is used to stream a lot of high quality videos.

The Samsung ARM Chromebook only has Wi-Fi (no ethernet port) - although one can use a USB ethernet adaptor with the Samsung Chromebook.

The Acer Chromebook C710-2487 has an ethernet port and an HDMI port. Although it is not rated as high as the Samsung models. There is also another more expensive Acer model that is rated higher. I believe some of the difference in the ratings is due to battery life.