Quantcast

Safeplug - $49.00

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Dec 10, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

This is VPN-enabling. Our GTV's don't have an embedded setting to allow for the use of a conventional VPN. Might be a good solution!
    Edit: It plugs into your router.

Linux-based Tor gadget protects IP identity*·* LinuxGizmos.com

Pogoplug announced a $49, Linux-based security device called the Safeplug that taps into the Tor network to hide your IP information when using the web.

The Safeplug is a router security peripheral that addresses growing fears about cyber-snooping by anonymizing your web browsing sessions and hiding your identity and physical location. The device protects against unwanted traffic analysis by running all Internet communications over the open source Tor network. Originally developed by the U.S. Navy, and widely used by journalists, dissidents, and others attempting to cover up their cyber-trail, Tor generates a complex network of virtual tunnels that hides one's IP address.

2. guest

guest Active Member

From the FAQ:
    Can I use ad-blocking software with Safeplug?
    Safeplug has ad-blocking software built-in out of the box. No need for extra installations or downloads.

3. guest

guest Active Member

This will do what it's advertised to do, but it won't meet my objective. Which is to access geo-restricted sites in the U.S. by someone not physically present in same. In response to a query to the company, they wrote:

"Please note that the SafePlug will represent a geo-location not identical to your actual geo-location (since the IP address presented to the site is not the same as you actual IP address), but you cannot select which geo-location will be presented."
    There are other free methods, though, to accomplish this objective (which I've not tried), such as tunlr and the DNS-changing sites.