Quantcast

[Rumor] Security Update for GoogleTV Coming Soon; Honeycomb Not Far Off!

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Sep 22, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

According to a new tweet from @googletv, there is a new security update coming soon to GoogleTV. The exciting part of this news is that they hint of "a bigger update" coming soon. Rumors in the industry seem to suggest that this will finally be Honeycomb for GoogleTV! We will keep our ears to the ground on this one for you guys. Sound off in the forums as soon as you hear anything.

Source: AndroidCentral and @GoogleTV

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I wonder exactly what qualifications they're using to determine which Google TV devices will get the update, since this doesn't seem to be a universal roll out. Hopefully, this won't affect the Logitech Revues with the Developer's Leak. That would be a shame after all that effort in getting it to work.

3. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

That's make me think the update is not so close... Why don't just switch them to Honeycomb instead of creating this patch. Also, why not all units will receive it is something related to HW ?

4. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

Maybe this update is in anticipation/preparation for the larger update? Kinda like how you need to install the first 3.1 leak to be able to run the second?

/glasshalffull

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

No patches out for my Sony Google Television :) So does that mean you Logitech users got the patch or maybe it's just not pushed out to me yet.

6. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I have the revue and received no patch..unless it was a silent one.

7. George

George New Member

I got an update this morning - said it was for updated google chrome - Facebook still not working on it...

8. superdave

superdave New Member

George,

If you are using a REVUE...go to your Facebook home page and zoom out (fn -) 3 sizes
    and then zoom in to however big you want it (fn +) works fine here even if a small pain.

No update rec'd here yet

9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

What version of google tv do you own george? I assume it's the logitech one.

10. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Did you get a prompt? Did it reboot after update? I still have not gotten it

11. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Got my update this morning (Camby IN).....Updated Chrome Browser, but just a under the hood update not cosmetic.

12. mwphelps

mwphelps New Member

I turned on my Sony 32" and it told me I had to update, so I accepted and went to make breakfast. No idea what it was. Sorry. But I do know that it wasn't the long-awaited GB.

13. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Where is the GTV security update for the Logitech Revue?

Does Anyone here have received this Update?

Any NEW Changes or Improvements over the V2.1 R1?

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I didn't get an update on my Revue but my Sony Internet TV got an update. Though I didn't even notice it being installed.

Sony Internet TV firmware 2.1update1
    Build: ogm_2.1_2011091301ON.165187

Logitech Revue firmware 2.1update1
    Build: KA1X-201106200.164503.user-b54202

15. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Thanks eferz,
    I am looking at the new patch now for the sony tv and it says this release contains an updated version of the Chrome Browser.

I finally got it :) Looks like they added NPR and some other things as well under the spotlight area - Really like the Anime app or boom marklet or whatever it is :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  16. Buzzny

Buzzny New Member

Prompted me for an update download 9/24 a.m. Chrome and Spotlight app's.

Sony NSX46GT1
    Sony Internet TV firmware 2.1update1
    Build: ogm_2.1_2011091301ON.165187

Kinda wishing it was something bigger. I think my wife was too since she saw me opening a nice bottle of wine and watched me jumping up & down in joy while the download was in progress...

Thanks anyhow Sony/Google. It is at least something more.

• Like Like x 2
  17. chig

chig New Member

I saw some update last night (Sony 24"), said it was ready to restart and install but initially I just pressed the back button, cause I read it was some update for chrome and I was trying to watch Netflix. Did it this morning, went to the updates section and installed it.
    What I'm wondering is, I thought updates were pushed to devices automatically and we had no choice but to update. This one I could still be using the TV if I chose not to..

18. dalepa

dalepa New Member

Got the update tonight on my 46" Sony Googletv... What a bummer... Why a minor update now? Errrrr....Also picked up a Logitech revue today, and it plays several avi files that my Sony says that their corrupt... The update didn't fix that problem :(

19. gtaguy

gtaguy New Member

Ask yourselves why bother with a minor update. If you ask me i say some boxes needed an update to be able to update in the future.
    The rest of us with boxes are just waiting for the hc conversion. We know updates are coming, lets hang on a few more weeks.
    summer for silicon valley is not over just yet.. lol.

20. docsch

docsch New Member

All these promises are getting old. Each release is less reliable than the last.

Sony support has deteriorated to the point of being useless. The TV guide function is totally unreliable and What's On doesn't work and Sony doesn't even attempt to fix issues any more. Google Chrome seizes multiple times a day, making it necessary to reboot. Sony's only trick is to reboot. Sounds like DOS.

There is no unified source of internet TV. Amazon is upbundled and too expensive. Netflix is going down the tubes. Google can't get out of their own way making a deal or deals for content.

By the time Google get it's act together, GoogleTV will be DOA.

I am converting my GoogleTV to a computer display and waiting for a successful inplementation of internet TV.