Quantcast

RTL To Block Google TV access

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 4, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

RTL to block Google TV access (click for full article)

December 4, 2012 08.36 Europe/London By Robert Briel

"RTL Deutschland intends to block Google TV from accessing its online programming.

Google intends to launch its Google Play service in Germany following the availability of Sony Google TV devices in the German market. Google TV operates with Android software and allows viewers to access on-demand and live streaming television on the internet.

"We intend to cooperate with other television manufacturers,' told Google spokesperson Mounira Latrache to Deutschen Wirtschafts Nachrichten, "But so far, there are no concrete plans."

The German RTL group said: "We have a problem with third parties who try to monetise our content at our expense. That's why we will not make our content available on Google TV."

Fellow private broadcaster ProSiebenSat.1 is not worried about Google TV, "It is a niche service. In the market for hybrid TV applications it is not the technical service that matter, but the content itself," according to the group's spokesperson, Marcus Prosch.

Through its VOD service Maxdome German viewers have access to over 50,000 legal movies and episodes of TV programmes."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Can somebody explain to me how Google or the Google TV manufacturer is monetizing the RTL content if RTL allow Google TV to access their streaming site? It seems to me if RTL accept advertising revenue then blocks potential customers from viewing the ads, they have pissed away revenue, not increased revenue.

3. CatfishRivers

Here are links to a couple articles that give explanations as to why the networks block Google TV:

Why the TV Networks Blocked Google TV (It's About the Ads) | Digital - Advertising Age

From the article:

"The networks aren't blocking Google TV because it's Google. They are blocking Google TV because it is putting a web TV show, with web TV show economics, on a TV, which would be incredibly disruptive to their business. The reason the networks are blocking Google TV and Boxee (and Hulu is still PC-only) is about ad revenue: they don't get enough of it from the web. And letting you watch "Glee" on your TV, but via the web and Google TV, means substituting high broadcast revenue for lower digital revenue.

Let me explain: today all the broadcast networks and a good many cable networks distribute shows and clips on the web. Those shows and clips have a fraction of the advertising that they would have on television. Until recently, a typical hour-long show on Hulu would have two minutes of advertising, compared to 12 to 14 minutes on TV. While all the networks would like to raise that to parity, there are not enough advertisers willing to pay for the comparatively small web audiences and the networks are wary of turning off viewers who can easily click away."

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/28/googles-tv-strategy-is-doomed/

From the article:

"First, television broadcasters don't want to work with anyone who aims to make money off their content. Sure they'll sell a program here or there, but unless the set-top in your home is streaming out the unadulterated streams coming out of their satellites, they don't want any part of it. By co-opting search and discovery, Google looks to the broadcasters like a parasitic organism rather than a money maker. TiVo (barely) survives because it acts as a smart VCR. Apple TV and GTV are slow to spread because they are, at best, glorified media players and they will never be anything more without real broadcaster buy-in."

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have read that position before and it still makes no sense to me. I watch Hulu and all of the networks on the same HDTV I use to watch Google TV, I have to switch inputs from Google TV to the computer input. All they have accomplished is forced me to have a computer attached to an HDTV and I doubt very seriously if that is a rare situation for people using the internet to stream video, many will have a computer attached to a display, not relegated to computer use only.

I still don't understand how any of that means Google and Google TV manufacturers would be monetizing RTL content if RTL didn't block Google TV.

5. CatfishRivers

I came across this explanation from an online article about how Google TV monetizes content:

http://www.scribemedia.org/2010/11/16/google-tv-and-the-death-of-the-cable-mso/

From the article:

"For the right to dig up roads and lay miles of cable in communities around the US, cable operators have to abide by very strict consumer protection regulations, enforced by the FCC. Cable operators are not allowed to use household data and share that data with advertisers.

Google's hands aren't tied in the same way. In a Google TV world, addressable advertising is an unregulated reality. Google can collect personal information about people (and anonymize it of course!) in a way that is prohibited to the MSOs. The MSOs have talked forever about being able to deliver targeted advertisements to the household level. We're still waiting. Google TV, on the other hand, is capable of providing such a holy grail scenario to brand advertisers and the broadcasters that attract eyeballs on behalf of advertisers.

You can put money on the fact that at some point Google will start to integrate advertisements into the search process. For example, as I search for Burn Notice or Entourage, Google will display an ad based on what I'm searching for and who I am, in real time."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the more free online premium content that Google TV offers from network web sites and cable providers web sites etc. - the more it improves GTV device sales. The more GTV devices that are sold - the more Google will be able to sell content/apps from Google Play Store, have more viewers for You Tube, more people using Google services etc. IMO this is another 'indirect' way of monetizing GTV (by way of "piggybacking" on free network content).

This is in addition to monetizing by the content search results (as mentioned in the artcle above).

Bottom line in my opinion is that the networks feel GTV lessons the overall "value" of their content. I imagine the networks assume that a GTV device is easier to hook up and use for content viewing on a TV compared to a computer with an HDMI port. Thus they view GTV as making their content too easily available/accessable via the web on a TV - thus lessoning it's "value".

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012