Quantcast

Roku For Android Updated With 'Play On Roku'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 20, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Roku For Android Updated With 'Play On Roku', Allowing You To Stream Music And Pictures To Your TV; Now Available In The UK, Canada, And Ireland (click for full article)

Posted by John Thompson

"Competing with the likes of Google TV and Boxee isn't an easy job, but Roku seems to be coping well, thanks to a low price point and a free mobile app that is frequently gaining new features.

The latest update to the Roku app, which is available from today, introduces a new feature called 'Play on Roku', that allows you to stream music and images from your phone straight to your TV. If you wanted to, you could even do both at once, playing a slideshow of images with a backing track of your choice."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^^^
    They also added Vudu App.
    Now they got native Apps for, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, HBOGo & Vudu. (no YouTube )

3. CatfishRivers

$100 Roku Streaming Stick brings 600 internet media channels to your TV - Liliputing (click for full article)

"Roku has been offering small set-top-boxes that let you stream internet video and audio to a television for a few years. Now the company is offering the same features in an even tinier package.

The Roku Streaming Stick is a $100 USB flash drive-sized device that you can plug into the HDMI port of any TV that supports MHL (which allows the stick to draw power and output video from the same port. It will be available in October."

4. CatfishRivers

I own a Logitech Revue. I have no interest in the Roku primarily because it has no web browser and no YouTube. I don't find Google TV difficult to use (although it is somewhat buggy with occasional Shockwave crashes, Aw Snap messages, freeze-ups, etc. - it's slightly annoying but not frequent enough to be a deal-breaker for me). I can find find plenty of content to watch with Google TV. So all the hoopla about 600 channels on Roku means nothing to me. I'm sure that there is plenty of content that GTV can access that Roku can't.

Within a few months I'd like to buy another internet device (and connect it to my TV). If Google steps up to the plate and releases a new OS for GTV I'll probably buy one of the second generation GTV boxes. Also tilting me in this direction would be if an optional full sized GTV keyboard was made available for second generation GTV boxes.

Other possibilities that I'm looking into are the Samsung Chromebox and the UG802 android TV device. I read that the UG802 can be used with a USB to ethernet adapter and this supposedly improves performance. I wouldn't buy an android dongle/box with less than 1Gb of Ram.