Quantcast

Roku Box Outselling Apple TV

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Amazon: Roku Net TV Box Outselling Apple TV
    By Swanni

$41HHW14v8uL.jpg
    Washington, D.C. (February 15, 2011) -- Apple TV may be getting most of the media's spotlight when it comes to set-tops that can stream videos over the Internet to your television. But the relatively little-known Roku XD Streaming Player is easily outselling its highly publicized rival at Amazon.com.

In fact, the Roku XD set-top, which is priced at $79, is the seventh best selling electronics product at Amazon today. Only three Kindle e-readers, two Apple iPods and a Buffalo Technology wireless router are outselling the Roku box in the electronics category.

The Apple TV set-top, which is priced at $99, is ranked #13 in the best-selling electronics list.

The Roku set-top can stream movies and TV shows from such Internet services as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Video on Demand, the National Hockey League and MLB.TV. The box has a built-in wireless feature and purports to display 1080p HD video.

Roku says the device allows users to access up to 100,000 movies and TV shows from the various services. Amazon users have given the set-top a four star rating out of a possible five stars; 545 customers have reviewed the device at the site.

SOURCE

Attached Files:

2. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Reads like its actually capable of doing stuff...which kinda makes it better than google TV at the moment.

3. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

I have the roku box and yes currently it is 100% better than the logitech revue box.

Google tv needs a whole new GUI and better apps.

4. harley man

harley man New Member

i have one to and i love it but the revue with google tv dose so much more then the roku i just got done paying bills on line and watching tv at the same time and i am replying to this on my revue i can not do that with the roku or apple tv . when i got the roku over 2 years it only had a few apps on it now it full of new app . and gtv only has few now but soon will be over full . so far for me revue gtv has been 100 times more useful then my roku that i have had for years

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  5. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

All my bills are auto-pay! :p I hear ya, but Roku has simply (and I highlight SIMPLY) done it right...it's dead-simple, easy to nav, and simply works. Also has TONS of content (I spent OVER an hour just looking at the offerings on BlipTV's channel last night!) with episodic shows regularly updated...it's already got WAY more than I could ever watch, and it totally replaces the need for a dvr...recent episodes are stacked for on-demand viewing at your convenience. That is why I dumped satellite years ago, and never missed a beat. :)