Quantcast

Roku adds WatchESPN, Disney to follow

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course most of the WatchESPN and the Disney channels will required a qualifying paid TV subscription but ESPN3 should work for everybody with an ISP that provides ESPN3. I have added the ESPN3 channel to my Roku boxes and really expect it to be an upgrade over the Google TV web browser version I have used for over 2 years now.

ESPN, Disney Channels Land on Roku Internet Set-Tops | Variety

2. ChrisG8

The Roku legacy models, N1000, XDS, etc. won't get the new channels. I have already seen whining about that but I think that is silly, Roku updates these cheap little boxes really well and those models are several years old and may not meet the new DRM requirements or may not have the horsepower. So far, the Roku 3 hasn't gotten channels the Roku 2 boxes didn't get as far as I can tell but I would expect at some point, the Roku 2 models will also be left behind. I sure can't complain about a company that keeps its products up to date as timely as Roku has. I can't even guess how many new channels have been added since I picked up my first Roku less than a year ago, but it has far exceeded my expectations.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

From the Variety article:

** "We're anticipating the biggest quarter ever for streaming to the TV and we are excited to add these great new channels just in time for the holidays," said Steve Shannon, Roku's GM of content and services.

Separately, this week Roku kicked off a $12 million advertising campaign ahead of the holiday shopping season. The TV spots feature a Ukrainian character named "Moxkat Grvida," urging viewers to treat themselves to a Roku **

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roku has big new channel announcements to spur sales during the busy holiday shopping season. Google TV? Nada. No Jellybean update seems likely for any of the GTV ARM boxes for the holiday season. Another opportunity missed for GTV while the competition increases sales smartly. -:(

When was the last time you saw an ad from Google for Google TV? Google leaves it to the manufacturers - and I haven't seen a GTV advertisement since those weird Logitech Revue ads with Kevin Bacon. IMO Roku seems very well managed in comparison to GTV.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  4. ChrisG8

I watched the "Moxkat Grvida" commercial on YouTube, it is pretty funny. It is also sort of funny that you can't watch that ad on YouTube using Roku unless it is through an awful third party channel like VideoBuzz which I won't mess with. I just played ESPN3 on Roku, not a live sporting event just clips, it worked great. If live sporting events work as well on Roku, I won't be using Google TV for ESPN3 anymore until Google TV gets a comparable or better app. I do like Netflix on Google TV better than Roku and haven't been using Roku much but the new ESPN3 channel will change that with basketball season, all of a sudden Roku will be used much more often.

5. dtlove129

dtlove129 New Member

Yes, I just realized my roku has the WatchESPN app, but my GTV blue ray player is as old this year as it was last year because they don't update it. So I spend $50 on the roku and have better channels than I do with this $200 dvd player. I'll sell this and get another roku for my living room now.

6. ChrisG8

I also have the Sony NSZ-GT1 and disagree. YouTube, web browser, better Plex and PlayOn apps puts it way ahead of my Roku for my needs. I have been using Google TV for ESPN3 for years, it wasn't available with Roku but I do like Roku better for ESPN3 now that is available. Overall, I use Google TV far more and like it much better but no one box does everything I want so I have both and I like both really well.

7. dtlove129

dtlove129 New Member

I tend to use my GTV more for streaming movies using plex, and very seldom use youtube. My browser I use about once a month, and even then the browser doesn't run the way I would like (so it easier for me to use my tablet on my couch for browsing). I'll just say I'm disappointed in the product especially after getting a roku and seeing it has espn3. I need to switch my roku to my big screen and put the GTV on the spare tv since I like watching sports and streaming movies.