Quantcast

Roku Adds More TV Partners, Looks Beyond The Set-Top Box

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 7, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Roku Adds More Streaming Stick Partners, Eyes Future of TV - Lauren Goode - Product News - AllThingsD (click for full article)

JANUARY 7, 2013 AT 12:01 AM PT

"Last year, when Roku first announced plans for its Streaming Stick - which compresses the features of a Roku Web TV box into a thumb-drive-sized, wireless dongle - it came with a major catch: The MHL-compatible device didn't work with many TV sets.

Roku can finally add a few more to the list. At CES the startup is showing off six "Roku Ready" TV partners, including Coby, Harmon Kardon and Westinghouse Digital. Basically, "smart TVs" from these manufacturers are certified to work with the Roku Streaming Stick, joining Roku's existing partners, including Hitachi and Best Buy's Insignia brand.

But even as Roku is arranging more hardware partners, it's looking beyond the boxes and the stick.

"It's part of a bigger strategy to integrate Roku into more hardware, and in many cases it will be the stick bundled with a smart TV," Anthony Wood, Roku's founder and CEO, said in an interview. "We could get to the point where Roku is integrated directly into TVs."

Roku sees itself as not just as a set-top box maker, but as the content platform provider for a wide range of smart TVs - which is why its app offerings, or "channels," as Roku calls them - are just as important as its hardware partners.

The company just added TWC TV, the Time Warner Cable authentication app - the first time that TWC TV is coming to a streaming device - Dish TV, Vevo, iHeart Radio, Amazon Cloud Player and Spotify to its list of 700-plus channels that already include Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, MLB.TV and Pandora. (But still no YouTube!)

Roku has also added a few more casual games to its roster. Newer Roku devices, the 2 XS and the Streaming Stick, already come with Angry Birds built in and have a motion sensor remote for these games.

Wood claims that Roku streamed more than a billion hours of video last year, making Roku the No. 1 set-top box for apps like Netflix and Hulu.

To be clear, when it comes to non-gaming set-top boxes, Apple's "hobby" has the edge. Roku likes to point out that it splits the market 50/50 with Apple TV, but Roku has sold just under five million units, while on Apple's last earnings call, CEO Tim Cook said the company had sold 1.3 million units in the fourth quarter, and five million for the 2012 fiscal year.

Also, Roku has put itself in a kind of awkward phase by going with the MHL standard for the Streaming Stick, an interim device that could well serve those looking for cheap TV upgrades. More MHL-certified TVs will hit the market this year. And the technology does allow for: a) wire-free charging; and b) a universal remote, two excellent features. But until this standard spreads further, the market is limited for the nifty stick.

Lastly, Roku faces another competitor on the OEM side: Google. The search giant made some embarrassing missteps in its early attempts at Google TV hardware, but it keeps throwing different devices at the wall to see what sticks, and it is working with electronics companies to have the Google TV platform installed right inside TVs - beating Roku to the punch, at least for now."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Interesting. My favorite Blu-ray/DVD manufacturer Oppo has a Roku stick as an option for its recent Blu-ray player, the BDP-103 despite the fact I requested Google TV be the Oppo smart TV platform, guess Oppo didn't like my recommendation. Roku is a great little smart TV platform, up until now nothing I would consider very ambitious, not like Google TV. Apple claims to have sold 5 million Apple TV boxes in 2012, hard to believe since I sure haven't seen one in anybody's home. I have seen several Roku boxes and a few Google TV boxes in homes other than my own.

3. CatfishRivers

CES Report: Roku Gains Time Warner Cable, 300 Live Channels - Streaming Media Magazine (click for full article)

By Troy Dreier

Posted on January 7, 2013

"Cable doesn't require a cable anymore. In a surprise CES announcement, set-top box-maker Roku announced that Roku owners can begin streaming Time Warner Cable content (with an account, of course) probably later this quarter. The move will bring 300 live television channels to Roku owners. For a company that needs to be seen as more than an inexpensive way to stream Netflix, this is an important release.

Time Warner Cable content will be accessible to owners of Roku 2 models, Roku HD (model 2500R), Roku LT, and Roku Streaming Stick. This is the first time that Time Warner Cable is providing television streaming.

While that Roku's biggest CES announcement, it's not the company's only announcement. Roku announced that it now has over 700 channels available on its platform. Channels new to Roku include Blockbuster on Demand, Dailymotion, DishWorld, Flingo, Fox Now, PBS, PBS Kids, Syfy, Vevo, Amazon Cloud Player, iHeart Radio, and Spotify."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Wow, Roku is starting to look veery interestin' lately. I'm tired of waiting on Amazon Instant Videos to allow HD streaming to GTV. The biggest drawback for me was the limitations of this device. But adding cable content would be the deciding factor.

5. ChrisG8

Today only deal, refurbished Roku 2 XS for $55 shipped from 1saleaday.com.

Main Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day

6. ChrisG8

Oh yeah, register the Roku on Amazon and Vudu, for $5 and $5.99 credits for rentals to make the deal even better.

7. CatfishRivers

Updated Aereo app adds improved live TV streaming to Roku | Internet & Media - CNET News (click for full article)

"The Aereo app on Roku boxes just became a much more potent alternative to traditional cable TV.

Aereo -- the Barry Diller-backed online video startup that streams local TV channels to multiple devices for a monthly fee -- had previously been available on Roku boxes, but it required an iPhone or iPad to use as a remote. But the updated app, which went live on Roku earlier this week, allows viewers to use an onscreen navigation with the standard Roku clicker."

8. ChrisG8

I got bored reading about Aereo and don't have the full picture yet. Here is the Aereo site.

https://www.aereo.com/

For $12/month users in a few select cities can get live TV is about all I understand but that is a good start.

9. CatfishRivers

Aereo has several payment options explained here:

https://aereo.com/plans

The broadcast networks sued and tried to get it shut down. But thus far a court ruled in Aereo's favor. There's still some ongoing litigation I believe. It's rolling out to 22 cities later this year (currently it's available in NY).

There is also a $8/mo plan. And an $80/year plan. The $8 plan includes the live TV service plus 20 hours/month of cloud DVR storage. The $12/mo plan includes 40 hours/month of cloud DVR storage.

10. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

From looking at the available channel list, they seem to be channels that would normally be available via OTA.