Quantcast

Roku 3 Arrives But YouTube Is Still Nowhere In Sight

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 12, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Roku 3 Arrives, But YouTube Is Still Nowhere In Sight (click for full article)

By Sam Gutelle - March 11, 2013

"Roku, one of the leading names in digital TV, has now released the Roku 3, a new and improved addition to its line of set-top boxes. For just $99, the Roku 3 offers an impressive array of video streaming options, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, VEVO, and much more. One service, however, remains conspicuously absent, as YouTube is still unavailable on the popular device.

YouTube is available on other set-top boxes, including Roku's prime competitor, Apple TV, and Google's own Google TV product. The five million Roku users, on the other hand, must access the top video sharing site through a sketchy third-party application. Roku CEO Anthony Wood blames YouTube's programming for this, noting how "Youtube insists on using HTML5 for its UI. When you put that on our [old] Rokus, the picture didn't move." Wood's answer seems like a dodge; in addition to any technical difficulties, YouTube still has not provided an official Roku channel.

The Roku 3: Walt Mossberg Reviews:

With the Roku 3, Wood claims any technical difficulties are cleared up, so YouTube could be on the way to the new devices soon. Google would love to keep YouTube scarce in order to hype the unique features it offers to Google and Apple TV users, but not a lot of people are buying Google TV and everyone and their mom is buying a Roku.

Roku's new generation is undeniably powerful, and given it's utility, it shouldn't be long before YouTube caves in and allows cord-cutters to watch all their favorite cat videos."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No official YouTube is certainly one of the big shortcomings with the Roku boxes and rumors abound the new Roku 3 will get it but there is nothing official yet.

3. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

One really nice feature is the headphone jack on the remote. Wish Sony GTV had that.

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hey Catfish

Thanks for continuing to keep us up to date on all the internet news. I now have the Win Media Center that I thought would be fun for Netflx, etc. $99.00. I hate it!!! I'd love to add Roku to my modest entertainment system. As soon as the Roku 3 is updated w/youtube, if ever, I'm game...

Thanks

Carl

5. CatfishRivers

Roku 3 Review: The New Best Streaming Box (click for full review)

by Sam Biddle - March 22, 2013

"How many Roku models are there? Like, twelve? But it doesn't matter: the newest one is here, and thankfully (predictably?) it's the best one yet. So good that you'll stop using other crap you own. So good you'll use your cable box less. That good.

The Roku 3 is very, very simple. It's more or less like every single other Roku: a little black thing you plug in to your TV that'll deliver streaming media (Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Spotfiy, et al.) on demand. The Roku 3 is still very much this same thing-but it's reached a critical mass of how much stuff you can stream and how easily you can stream it. So much so that it really feels like an entirely new Roku. So much that it'll make your TV fun again."

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, this youtube thing.

Has it been resolved. No streaming device that does not include youtube can ever be taken seriously as the ultimate streaming device.

Just asking...

Thanks

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChrisG8

Roku definitely needs YouTube in my opinion but it is a really easy to use box for the channels it does have and that makes it worthwhile for me. The Google TV YouTube app is my favorite way to access YouTube so I won't switch to Roku for YouTube if it is added. No direct access to ESPN3 and Internet Archive are other shortcomings but there is a rather long list of things I do with Google TV that can't be done with Roku. I see Roku as a supplement to Google TV now that I own and use it, before I just considered it very weak competition.

8. CatfishRivers

I wonder how this new PBS app for Roku compares to viewing PBS with the GTV Chrome browser? Chris any thoughts on this?

Roku Adds PBS and PBS Kids Channels To Its Streaming Boxes In the US (click for full article)

by Nick Summers - May 8, 2013

"Roku has launched a new app for its range of streaming set-top boxes today that gives user the ability to stream full episodes from television shows aired on PBS and PBS Kids.

The company revealed the news over on its official blog earlier today, highlighting the availability of popular PBS programs such as NOVA, American Experience, Masterpiece, Nature, Frontline and Antiques Roadshow.

The app will be updated daily and feature not just primetime shows, but those that are also broadcast through users' local PBS station across the United States.

PBS Comes To Roku!

A number of original shows exclusive to the Web and produced by PBS Digital Studios, such as Blank on Blank, will also be available to Roku users at anytime.

PBS Kids, meanwhile, will tailor to the growing demand for children's television shows on other streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. These "junior streamers" can access full episodes from series such as Curious George, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, Dinosaur Train, Super WHY! and The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!

The new app can be downloaded right now under the Movies and TV section of the Roku Channel Store. PBS is a non-profit public broadcasting television network in the United States and as such, is only available for Roku players in this region."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  9. ChrisG8

I added the Roku PBS channel and briefly looked at it. Nature and Austin City Limits are the only shows on PBS I watch and there are four episodes of ACL and five episodes of Nature currently available with the app. I know previously when I have used Google TV for those programs, I was able to find a large number and choose whichever I wanted to watch but I didn't check now to see if that is still the case. I use TiVo and OTA for both programs already and don't really need an internet TV source. I almost always choose to avoid using internet bandwidth for programs I can get with an antenna.

The Roku PBS channel has a lot of other shows available but I didn't check to see if those also offered only a few episodes but I assume that is the case. As with most everything I use Roku for, it was easy and worked well enough so I might use the PBS channel some. I don't doubt there are other PBS programs I would like and I might use Roku to try something else.

10. JonWillieNelson

JonWillieNelson New Member

I got one of these like a month back due to the deteriorating state of the GTV Chrome browser. A few of the sites I frequented quite often (MLS, FoxSoccer, HBO GO, etc.) lost compatibility and they had Roku Channels, so long story short GTV needs to get a shot in the arm from developers.... or atleast a browser update. Just kind of baffles me how a small company like Roku can get so many developers on board and Google is seemingly just spinning their wheels.

11. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The Roku3 is much better than the previous Roku's. The headphone jack is neat though it's something that has limited appeal. Roku has done a really good job in knowing what it is. In reality only the ATV3 and Roku's are selling well. The Roku is a bit more open but is not as powerful as the ATV3 nor does it have AirPlay nor does it have access to the iTunes Store which accounts for 65% of video downloads. On the other hand it does have Amazon and Vudu.

The Sony GTV is an excellent player but Google is basically killing the GTV platform. We use all three of these for different reasons and a PCH- A400 for local playback. The A400 is just way better for local playback than any of the others.

Unfortunately there is no one device that does it all. The closest may be a NUC running XBMC under win8. It is an excellent solution and very easy to maintain. Of course, it is far more expensive than the other players, more in the range of the Mac Mini.

I don't feel any of the media hardware companies have a clue what to do with the living room. Perhaps they simply see no way of getting around the current content contract mess.

Philip

• Like Like x 6
  12. CatfishRivers

Roku survey hints at YouTube channel, but Roku says it?s not quite there yet ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - August 2, 2013

"Roku sent out an interesting survey to some of its users this week, asking them what kind of content they watch on YouTube and how often they use the Google-owned video service. That’s notable, because Roku is the only major smart TV platform that doesn’t have an official YouTube app.

Roku users were for some time able to access YouTube through a third-party channel — as apps are called in the Roku ecosystem — but the company was forced to shut these down on YouTube’s request. One example: VideoBuzz, which offered access to YouTube videos was kicked off the platform earlier this year. But with this week’s survey, Roku specifically targeted former VideoBuzz users to find out how they used the channel, and what kind of YouTube content they accessed with it.

I asked a Roku spokesperson whether this means that the company is close to launching a YouTube channel. Her response was more or less the same that Roku has given people over the last few years whenever the subject came up:

“We are (…) talking to YouTube to bring a YouTube channel to Roku but have not reached business terms yet.”

In the absence of a deal with YouTube, Roku is now apparently looking to get some of the content that’s popular on YouTube without all those other strings attached. Roku team members had a booth at Vidcon, the yearly gathering of YouTube creators and their fans, in Southern California this week. Their goal: Get more YouTube publishers to launch their own channels on Roku. “We actually have many YouTube channels already on Roku,” the company spokesperson told me, citing Vevo, Machinima, CollegeHumor and IGN as examples."

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  13. ChrisG8

If YouTube is added and it is a good implementation, this will make Roku a lot better and it is already really good. Based on past performance, I would sure expect a good implementation.

14. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Youtube is something that benefits quite a lot from a keyboard and the ability to cast it from another device to share.

15. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I have the old private youtube app om my Roku's.As long as we don't delete the app youtube agreed to let those users keep them.It's nothing fancy but it works great.It's sad that a big streamer like Roku can't work out a deal to have an official youtube app!When you go to the big stores and look at all the streaming choices on the shelves all of them have youtube plastered on front of the box.BTW Roku does have the I Tunes Podcast App it's not in their store but a private channel.All someone with a Roku has to do is go to their Roku account and add the ITPC code and enjoy what it has to offer.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  16. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I missed the original Youtube channel, but there were a couple of channels since then (might have been private) that could be used to watch Youtube, and they were both shutdown.

17. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013