Quantcast

Rockchip RK31xx 28nm Dual Core Processor In The Works

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 10, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Rockchip RK31xx 28nm dual core processor in the works - Liliputing (click for full article)

"The Rockhip RK3066 dual core processor just started shipping a few months ago, but Chinese chip maker Rockchip is already working on a follow-up.

Like the RK3066, the new RK31xx processor is a dual core CPU based on an ARM Cortex-A9 design. But it will be able to run at 2 GHz or faster clock speeds, and while the existing chip has a 40 nanometer design, the new model uses a more efficient 28nm process. That should help reduce power consumption and the cost of producing the processor.

Like other Rockchip CPUs, the new RK31xx is designed for smartphones and tablets. It could hit the streets before the end of the year.

Rockchip also plans to launch quad-core RK32xx chips this year.

EE Times has an extensive interview with Rockchip vice president Feng Chen about steps the company is taking to remain relevant in the highly competitive Android phone and tablet space.

Earlier this year Rockchip was poised to be one of the leading chip makers in the Chinese tablet space, but Allwinner has taken the market by storm with its low cost Allwinner A10 ARM Cortex-A8 processors."

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. guest

guest Active Member

catfish, have you considered starting your own gtv forum? You certainly have a lot of information to offer. And then there is that ad revenue to think about! How hard is it to start a forum!!

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

These inexpensive, apparently powerful ARM chips must be the reason Intel decided to drop out of the competition and sold its ARM division. If I was going to buy one of those Android TV mini computers, I would wait a little longer for the new chips to get in technical people's hands to evaluate. Allwinner and Rockchip competition is going to be fun to watch. I am not sure whether these chips are as good as chips from Marvell or Qualcomm or the other well known chipmakers but competition is great for the consumer.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The one thing about these android TV sticks - is that all that I have seen thus far only have 1GB of RAM (or less) - this includes GTV devices also. While 1 GB of RAM is fine for streaming videos - ideally if one uses the device for a lot of internet surfing - I would prefer at least 2GB of RAM (to better handle all the over-bloated web sites with Flash).

Granted the android TV boxes/sticks primary purpose isn't supposed to be heavy web browsing - so in that regard it makes sense to keep the devices at 1GB and keep the cost down. Also the small form factor of the dongles/sticks might be a factor in keeping those devices at 1GB of RAM.

I personally use my Google TV for a lot of web surfing - which is why I'm also considering a Chromebook:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/how-much-ram-do-i-need/17491

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I also use Google TV for web browsing and if 2GB RAM would make it perform better, I would pay the necessary price. I am not unhappy as it is but better performance would always be welcome. I have an HP TouchPad with 32 GB storage but again only 1GB RAM so that certainly seems to be the norm for this type of device, only actual computers seem to come with greater RAM.