Quantcast

Ripping DVDs for Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by enutz, Dec 14, 2011.

1. enutz

enutz New Member

I finally got the update for the Revue & I'm loving it. I started using PLEX and love it for the few .avi files that I has on my computer. I wanted to rip my DVDs to my computer to play through PLEX & first tried Handbrake, it worked well my only issue is it took a little over an hour for one movies & I wanted to add my whole collection. I then tried a MKV converter which worked alot quicker but the file only played the audio so I'm not sure that a compatible video file. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Zman1001

Zman1001 New Member

Try Wondershare DVD Ripper Platinum. I had tried a few including Handbrake. Handbrake would take about 1 hour per DVD, but I was able to rip quicker with Wondershare, and also got smaller files. I was ripping them for my Xoom, but it allows for multiple file types, so I assume it would allow for formats compatible with Google TV and Logitech Revue.

I emailed Wondershare to ask how their software could rip quicker and smaller and got a quick response, but I was unable to really understand it./ I just know that the quality was great from both software packages, and with smaller files, it was better.

3. Hefe

Hefe New Member

I've got DVDs ripped into MKV files that work, but the key is that the codec inside the MKV has to be Google TV compatible. I've ripped mine with H.264 MPG4.

I am having an issue with Plex though, that my 480P DVD content is not scaling to fit the screen. It is shrunk a little in the center of the screen, with a black border all around. I don't know yet what the issue is...maybe the anamorphic setting or something...

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The typical problem is usually due to the original format. Some movies stored on DVDs imposes a 4:3 video frame while a widescreen film is being played inside of it. Playing these videos in Google TV will force it to acknowledge the original letterbox bars of the video. This will butt up against the vertical edges of the screen before it can scale the horizontal edge which causes the pillar bars on the left and right of the movie. If you do not adjust the scaling prior to converting the movies then that's what you will see.

That's one of the reasons I started using AVS Converter. The advance options in the app has an intuitive aspect correction control panel. This shows the actual move and allows me to adjust the scale to remove the letterbox effect from the original movie.

5. Hefe

Hefe New Member

But the videos have no letterbox bars, they're anamorphic. When I view them in the Plex client on the PC or with VLC they look fine, and have no bars encoded into the frame.

Now, the Handbrake picture settings for anamorphic content are certainly less than intuitive, and I could be doing something wrong, but my understanding is that it keeps the original resolution and indicates a pixel aspect ratio for display. I'll give a try to another tool and see if the results are any different though.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Many video players will ignore the black space of the video and scale the video beyond the boundaries. However, Google TV will respect the video frame. Download AVS Converter and load one of those videos for conversion. Before you start the process go into Advance > Aspect Correction and you'll see what I mean.