Quantcast

Ripped Blu-ray and DVD Playback

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by robneal81, Mar 1, 2011.

1. robneal81

robneal81 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I've been searching all over and was hoping someone could answer my question:

Can I play ripped DVD’s and Blu-ray’s that were saved in the original folder structure (‘Moviename\Video_ts’ for DVD and ‘Moviename\BDMV’ for blu-ray) on a network attached storage drive, on Google TV?

Please let me explain my question:

Up until a few days ago, I used Windows Media Center 7 and Archos Total Media Theater to play these on my TV and it worked FLAWLESSLY. I literally never had issues and playback was always perfect. Also, the movies with a .jpg in the root folder showed up in cover view and the ones without just showed up as the folder name. I was really happy with the solution, but unfortunately, the motherboard in my PC died and I am now looking for an alternative to play those movies on my TV. Microsoft seems to be making absolutely no progress with Media Center, so I wanted to use one of the newer platforms…and Google TV looks amazing!

I’ve tried using Boxee and XBMC and both were HORRIBLE solutions that barely (if at all) worked. I've seen other solutions like Popbox, or Western Digital's player, but I don't imagine they'll be around as long as Google TV. I want something I can buy and rely on for at least a few years.

Would anyone mind posting a reply with a more detailed description of the DVD and Blu-ray playback? Does it support title menu's? What do you click on to start playing, the folder, or the actual file?

Thanks in advance!

(for the record, the content that is ripped is either content I created, or movies I OWN! No piracy here!!!)

2. Derek

Derek New Member

There is no support for watching local movies. Maybe someday when the app store opens, there may be better support for it.

I have the Logitech Revue GTV box. I don't believe the atom processor in there would be anywhere near powerful enough to stream a Blu-ray. The 40-50GB network download/stream would be a major strain on the hardware alone. Future GTV hardware would undoubtedly get there but that is likely years away.

There is currently very little (working) support to even watch network streaming content. I believe the GTV software currently has no native support. The Logitech Revue has a pathetic Logitech media player that works through a DLNA media server. You can not simply "browse" your network. You have to explicitly setup a media library through Windows Media Player. If you are a tech geek (like me), you can get working content - it is just not convenient.

I think we are years away from being able to ditch our HTPCs, Blu-ray/DVD players.

I recommend getting a $500 - $600 laptop or net-top and use Windows Media Center 7. I have an Asus 13" laptop and it works great.

If you have a library of movies, I totally recommend using "My Movies" (My Movies - Home) software. It integrates with WMC7 and is simply amazing. You can get most of the functionality working for free but some advanced (cool) features cost extra. There pricing is progressive (strange) but I paid $50 for all the features that most people would possibly need. You can also try ALL features for free for one month.

3. qdewolf

qdewolf New Member

this is just not correct. if you ripped to a folder structure then it will playback the discreet files but no menus and it can be hard to findthe correct files to play. this works on my sony google tv. bluray uses vc1, h264, mpeg4 to encode the files at about 4.5MB/s so a clean 6MB/s (48Mbits/s) network (N will do) will playback fine. we are waiting on the store fore iso image support.

4. Derek

Derek New Member

A DVD folder contains many VOB files and yes you could "watch" these files one at a time. WOW, that would be a great user experience! Your indication that 6MB/s network reading will play fine is correct, but you missed my point. I did not assert that DVD would not read. I stated my opinion that Bluray would not. A DVD is about 6-8GB per movie (not a problem). Bluray movies are 40-50GB each. Good luck playing that back on an atom processor device, regardless of the network bandwidth. Don't forget that the CPU is also utilized when pulling data through the network. A simple file copy accross the network will consume half of that atom processor.

5. robneal81

robneal81 New Member

Thank very much for your replies. It seems promising that after the app store is released, we'll have an app like "MyMovies" available for GTV to solve my problem.

I replaced my HTPC and will stick with that until GTV makes more progress. My ideal situation would be to use a device like the Sony GTV blu-ray player in my living room and a device like the logitech revue in my bedroom. That way I can get the same UI on both TV's and have access to the same content (streaming blu-ray's, etc), but have the luxury of playing the physical disc's in my living room.

That's actually the same setup I have now, two media centers: One in the living room with a blu-ray player and a 2TB HDD, one in the bedroom with no optical drive and streaming all my movies, video files, music, etc. FYI, there has never been an issue streaming blu ray, even when using a powerline networking adapter (500MB, from netgear). Also, I use the built-in Windows 7 "Movies" player, as MyMovies seems like it does the exact same thing.

Derek, for the record, I have set up many Atom-based HTPC's (with a Broadcom decoder chip for 1080p playback). They all were able to stream Blu-ray's across a network without any problem or stuttering at all.

The truth is, Media Center is a GREAT solution...when it works. As my luck will have it, I could watch 100 movies by myself and it would never hiccup...but as soon as I have people over to watch a movie it'll crash 3 or 4 times. I'll stick with it for now, but will greatly look forward to moving to a more solid platform once GTV is a bit more mature.

6. Derek

Derek New Member

Good to hear that you have success with streaming bluray. I had many issues with it even on wired network. My laptop is more powerful than an Atom but the graphics might not be good enough. It is a bit old. I also suspect that the Bluray player (software) makes a big difference. Vista does not help either.