Quantcast

Ridiculously slow app data/installing&uninstalling speeds.

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by retroben, Jun 7, 2013.

1. retroben

retroben Active Member

Whenever I need to clear the data of an app,it takes a ridiculously long time to compute its data size,making it impossible to clear said data.

And yet my STB runs extremely fast when doing stuff like navigating menus,browsing with chrome,and using apps.

I have 100+ apps.

Can anyone explain this oddity,and how to fix it.

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Try to, reset GS7 (hardware "reset", not a factory reset) - see steps here.
    If not, try factory reset - here.

Also, avoid installing all 100+ apps after factory reset, just install what you need & add as you go (to eliminate the possibility of incompatible Apps).

3. retroben

retroben Active Member

I already tried normal reset with no luck,but makes it even faster.

I am not going to try factory reset for such a "minor" issue.

4. retroben

retroben Active Member

Bump with info.

I think that I just found out what's causing it,I unplug my STB after finished using it.
    This is funny,I left it plugged in over-night,started using it today,and now the uninstalling and cache deleting is working fine again.

That means you should only unplug it once in a while (if you are having lagging problems) throughout a long period time when not using it.

5. retroben

retroben Active Member

Sorry for triple post,but I found the real source of the problem.

When I went to manage applications,I force stopped Package Access Helper and Package Installer and it gave me a speed up.
    The consequence on doing this is that install/uninstalling or clearing cache takes an extremely long time and can fail.
    To fix this,leave your STB plugged up and shutted down for several hours.

And the next time you turn it on,apps data speed should work like normal again.

6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Here's something I've been looking into:

Most of these so called app cleaners are geared for phones. Our system works quite differently and also quite well w/out them. The Chrome browser is the exception. If you go app crazy like I've been known to do, then Chrome will load sluggish and drop many sites. No task cleaner can change this. Our browser is limited. The memory is connected to not only how many apps we have open at any one time, but also what apps we use. It can't be fixed by any of the task masters and other app closers/cleaners I've heard used. The memories are separate. Task managers can only kill the apps. But, unfortunately the browser is still limited as far as cache memory is concerned. So while using apps deplete Chrome's cache memory, the app and task managers can only clear app memory.

The only way to restore Chrome to full capacity is by a reboot. And honestly, I think this is much simpler than all the various ways users of all GTV and even other unrelated small client device users, have tried. This is not a computer. Which simply means that Chrome cannot auto-dump cache. It is just this simple. App memory while not restored is used as needed. The very idea of using an app is that it does not need to drop cache in order to work efficiently. The memory is replenished the moment the app is either closed or stops radiating.

When Chrome is advanced to the level of the computer version, the need to restart the unit will become more obvious. We have seen this w/MSNTV 2. The IE 6.0 browser, altho a bastardized version of Internet explorer. still required more Reboots per session than Webtv ever required.

The Chrome browser is the only feature that developers should be seeking to find a way to auto-dump cache. Not Apps...

Think about it...

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Good points Carl. The task manager apps don't clear Chrome cache.

Sometimes I get stuck (such as my Revue freezing) and then I need to reboot. (Occasionally when I get stuck on a web page - I can get unstuck by closing the window for that page. But not always because sometimes when stuck it just shows a blank window).

Often I find that going to Chrome settings and clearing cache and history - as well as closing any other open windows will keep me going without having to do a reboot.

8. retroben

retroben Active Member

You can fully force stop apps in the apps list or system settings applications--->all apps by going to their info/management box.
    This means when you are done using it until later,you can completely close every non-crucial app for improved performance.

Let's say I have 10 different basic apps closed/not stopped.
    If I completely close them within their info/management window,my performance should get at least a minor boost.

Also,you can force stop chrome every time you finish using it for the day so it will run a bit better on the next day.

I have a RAM boosting app with tiny widget for app killing,and whenever I have speed issues with chrome,I close it,then I long press it in the widget to kill off the process and re-open it.
    Sometimes I do that,force stop it,and when I re-open chrome,it runs much faster.

9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Retroben

You are completely missing my point. App killers simply do NOT clear Chrome cache memory. But all apps use Chrome in some way I still can't quite figure out. What I'm trying to say is that clearing apps, closing them or otherwise shutting them down does absolutely nothing to restore Chrome to its pristine and internet friendly estate. All yer doing is needlessly closing apps that our units have more than enough memory to support.

Force Closing Chrome after each session is not the wisest thing to do. It will cause the unit to run erratically when interacting w/internet sites. Besides, it will clear all memory and you'd end up spending more time to try and remember all yer passwords rather than enjoying surfing. If ya wanna have the needed amt of cache memory at yer disposal each time you open Chrome, I'd suggest ya reboot the unit every few days. I do it once a week...

Rebooting, restarting and Soft reset are all synonymous with the CTRL+Alt+Delete procedure. A simple restart clears all cache and corrects problems to our browser.

The simplest solutions is always the best troubleshooting step.

KISS...

Carl

10. retroben

retroben Active Member

I only clear cache and browsing history so I don't lose passwords.

Chrome never glitches out with me after force stopping it.

I never really have trouble anymore with chrome browser,other than that crappy RAM limit where any page with enough pictures/animated gifs on it,even if the gifs are small resolution,causes the RAM to run out almost instantly.
    It even happens when I have access to 400+ MegaBytes of RAM before opening chrome.

The RAM boosting app long press clear technique works well for clearing that extra cache.
    All you gotta do is exit chrome,long press it in RAM boosting app,and click the app killing widget icon afterward and you can get up to 400MB free RAM space.
    This does not "clean" the app data,it does not log you out either,and I've been using this method for weeks.