Quantcast

Revue: WiFi or Ethernet Cable Which is better????

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by ltmorale, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ltmorale

ltmorale New Member

Not a big Tech guy - But just ordered a Logitech Revue 2 days ago. Please excuse this question. Which is better or does it not make a difference??
    When I redid the House 4 years ago - my friend insisted on running Ethernet wiring everywhere the cable was run to in the house. The house is also wifi'd.
    I had figured on just hooking up the Revue to the Hardwired Ethernet for the faster speed - but someone told me that it wont make a difference because the Revue is not working fast enough to exceed wifi speed ??
    I cant see how it would not be faster if hardwired. Please let me know the truth

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Hardwired should always be faster unless you're using a much older standard of Ethernet. Wireless Networking is much more susceptible to distance and radio interference. I actually tested the wireless radios of the Revue with a wireless access point inside of a Faraday cage. This scenario eliminates any possible outside interference and even under this condition the the Revue would not transmit any faster than 65Mbps. The question of the limitation was posed in this thread, "Re: Logitech Revue speed on Wireless N300 Router - Page 3 - Logitech Forums."

As an alternate to wireless network, I always recommend HomePlug AV Powerline Network. This allows one to connect network through the electrical lines of you home. It is a much faster standard with far less latency than wireless networking. However, the best connection will always be hardline connection using Ethernet cables for home networking.

As the standards are now Gigabit networking is capable of a 1000 Mbps and Fast Ethernet 100Mbps bits per second. Where as most Wireless G Network uses 54Mbps as opposed to be rated for 108Mbps and Wireless N is rated for 300Mbps but usually transfer around 130Mbps. HomePlug AV are rated for 200Mbps or 500Mbps depending on the version.

3. ltmorale

ltmorale New Member

Thanks for the quick response.
    Again I'm not a tech guy. . . . .
    The person was insinuating that the Revue device is not capable of uploading internet content at high speeds - that is why he says it does not matter if you use wifi or ethernet - he says the device itself is limited.

Is there a maximum upload speed that the Revue can handle - so I can set this doubter straight. He doubts that for the $90 i Paid that it would handle High Speeds.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I've already indicated answers to your question in my original response. I don't know how to otherwise explain to you the answer.

5. donc13

donc13 Member

The BIGGEST factor is what speed you have coming in from your ISP. No matter what you do inside your house, if you only have [for example] 7mbps coming it, that is your limit.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

6. ltmorale

ltmorale New Member

Sorry I didnt read correctly. Revue has a maximum speed of 65 Mbps. I did a speed test through Time Warner Cable - on Hardwired Computer my Speed was 48 Mbps and on my wireless laptop the speed was 17 Mbps (tested at 5pm on weekday). So the answer is obvious.

Thanks for your help

• Like Like x 2
  7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. But for clarification sake, 65Mbps over Wireless and 100Mbps over Ethernet. This is the relative speed limitation based on your local area network. As donc13, pointed out, the internet speed is bottle necked by the quality of service provided by your ISP.

8. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Another point to consider is that most Android devices don't have ethernet connections, and only have wifi and cellular connections. As a consequence, there are some apps only capable of using wireless on the Revue, because they so not support ethernet..

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Since the wireless stack is just considered just another network interface, I'm surprised that there are developers that would specifically write apps to discriminate between them. Can you name a few of those apps?

10. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I prefer ethernet since I will be streaming possibly TBs of data via video as there are no reports of the effects of that much data to the body.

11. elandy

elandy New Member

I have apple TV 3. How does the revue speed via wireless and wired, compare to it? Is the Revue 100 ethernet or gigabit ethernet?

12. donc13

donc13 Member

10/100 ethernet. 802.11n wireless

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

13. elandy

elandy New Member

I tried Netflix on both, connected to ethernet and by wi-fi. The Netflix app is better on Revue - it is more flexible in terms of going back and forth in a controllable way. It is also faster on the Revue. Except for the large keyboard of the Revue, which is onerous if you are just watching a movie and wanting to go replay a section every so often, the Revue would be preferable. Although the Apple TV was MUCH better and faster than my Samsung DVD player with built in Netflix app. Using the same ethernet connection that was impossibly slow.