Quantcast

Revue + ViP722k - Power Button on Revue keyboard won't turn off the STB

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by SpyderMS, Nov 21, 2010.

1. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

As the subject implies, even though integration is largely advertised with the Dish/GoogleTV setup, apparently I can't turn off the DVR with the button that is clearly labeled as a power button for the Set-top box on the Revue's keyboard. I can turn off my projector, and my audio receiver, without issue, but if you go into the keyboard customization page, you'll see that you can customize functions only for those devices that have been 'synched' (for lack of the correct word while at work) with the Revue, and apparently my DVR isn't one of those devices... even though every other advertised function works without a hitch. I can even turn on the STB if it's already off, just by hitting the TV button.

I'm probably one of few who would have this issue, as most people probably don't need to turn off their set top box, but I use an audio receiver that does not have any digital connections, so I have all of my audio from my DVR, PS3, and HTPC routed into the same input, so I never need to change inputs. The biggest downside to not having this button work is that I have to keep my old remote around for the sole reason of turning the thing off :(

Anyone know why this doesn't work?

2. Izzo01

Izzo01 New Member

Had the same problem and I just fixed it about 30 mins ago I had everything set up but the Keyboard could only control my TV and AVR... basicly what it is was the IR receiver on my Dish Box was set to receive a different signal you can check by opening the panel on the front of the Dish Box and hitting the system info button at the bottom of the info List there should be box with a number in it it should be 1 mine was on 3. How I fixed it was the following (you need your Original Dish remote and have your dish box on the System Info screen)

1. Hold Sat Button til all the Input Selector buttons light up (~ 3secs.)
    2. Press 1 and then # (Sat should blink and then all lights will go out)
    3. Press the Record button
    4. The number on the System info screen should switch to 1 (Steps 1 thru 3 must be done fairly quickly you can't let the process time out just like programming a Universal Remote)
    5. Go down and click on DONE and get out of Menu screen and back to a channel
    6. Try to power your Dish box Down with the STB button on the Keyboard

That should fix your problem and then all your Dish Power/DVR/Guide Features should work now.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  3. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

Awesome, will definitely try this when I get home. Just to clarify, all my features do seem to work right now. The 'only' thing that doesn't is the power button... but if you got it to work, then it must be possible :p

4. Izzo01

Izzo01 New Member

Ya just give it a try you never know my main issues where that the live TV and the volume would work but I couldn't get the Guide or the Menu to come up then as I was trouble shooting I found that the power button on the Keyboard for my Dish Box didn't work either and that what prompted them to go through the process above and now everythings fine. Our problems seem similar enough I hope everything works out for you once everything is working its a pretty fun little gadget.

5. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

No luck :( Mine was set to two, and following your instructions set it to 1, but still am unable to turn the STB off. I also tried setting it to various other numbers, but still no luck :( It doesn't really make sense. The ViP722k is Dish's primary HD DVR... seems like it should 'just work'

Edit: Well, I found a work around. I went into the Harmony command editor, and assigned the STB power button as a custom IR signal, using the Dish remote. Unfortunately to do this, I had to tell the software that this was for my Sony audio receiver... and thus, lost the ability to turn off my audio receiver. I never actually turn it off though, so it's really no loss. Now I can finally get rid of every remote :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  6. Revue

Revue New Member

I am also having the same issue. As a matter of fact the System Info shows that my Primary remote address is already on 1.
    Interestingly when I go to Input Devices (under Settings), I see only 2 devices, my TV and the AV receiver. Dish Receiver is not an option at all. Hence the power/input settings for STB is blank. I cannot even customize it. Not sure if this is due to the "Full Integration" of Dish receiver with Google TV option.

7. Revue

Revue New Member

I tried the Basic Integration and guess what, now Google TV shows my Dish Receiver as a device and hence the power button works, but of course, I lose the functionality of accessing my recordings, Queue etc.,

8. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

Man that's a pretty big oversight on Logitech/Dish's part... I think I'll post something on Logitech's forum and hopefully it gets fixed in an update. If you can bare not being able to use the power button on your AVR, I would go the same route I did and customize the button. If you can't figure it out, I can write up a step-by-step for you.

9. Revue

Revue New Member

I have noticed certain times when Revue loses network connection (I am on WiFi) I have to manually go to Network settings and connect back to my router. Similarly I also see that sometimes Revue cannot connect to my Dish receiver and I have to go to Dish Network settings to refresh the DHCP settings. This shows that Revue is connecting through Ethernet and hence in Full Integration this may not treated be as a device.

10. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

Does anyone know if there is a point to connecting your DVR to the Revue via Ethernet? I don't seem to get any additional functionality than I did without Ethernet connected. Could this be because I had both connected to my router anyway?

11. Revue

Revue New Member

To get the Full Integration with which you can search you DVR and your recordings will show up in Queue, you need to connect the Revue to your Dish Receiver through Ethernet. With Basic Integration where you don't need to connect through the Ethernet, you can manage the Dish Receiver through Revue Keyboard and even power off but cannot perform searches on DVR.

BTW, in Full Integration to turn the power off of STB, I found the following workaround through customization. This is why you gotta love Harmony technology.

1) Go to Settings -> Input Devices -> Customize controller keys.
    2) Pick up any letter (I chose P for Power) and click on it.
    3) It will show that you can customize Fn+key.
    4) Select the Device as your TV or AV. In the command, select the option -AssignIRCode-
    5) It will show you options to customize the controller by Adding a command. Select the Device (TV or AV)
    6) Enter the name of the command to show up. I gave "STB Power".
    7) Now you have to use the Dish Receiver's original remote and press the Power Button.
    8) Once it recognizes, you can enter the command "STB Power" on the Fn + key customization (as in step 4).

Now, to power toggle the STB, press Fn+P.

Unfortunately I don't see an option to customize the power key of STB the same way. If you try to do the same for the STB key, it will revert the power of your TV or AV receiver to that of Dish, which you don't want. That is why, I had to choose Fn+key option.

With the Fn+key, you can customize lot more.

12. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

Yes, I actually discovered this same work around in one of my previous posts in this topic :)

Also, I had Full Integration 'without' connecting the DVR to the Revue via Ethernet. At first I thought I was getting this functionality through the HDMI connection, but now I think that, since both my DVR and the Revue were connected to the same home network, they were communicating that way.