Quantcast

revue very slow

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by ru42112, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

Revue is very slow. I know I have enough internet speed. My question is this normal because it's not a computer? Is there not enough cpu or something like that? I watched a demo on hsn yesterday for lg new tv with internet and it also was very slow. My phone is faster why?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The apps take up too much of the available RAM. Also over time I have found that the Revue tends to get bogged down. I was able to improve the speed significantly by doing a factory reset and then installing the "Smart Ram Booster" app from the Google Play Store. This was explained in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...tech-revue-run-faster-improved-stability.html

3. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

thanks for the tips. I downloaded the smart booster. After clicking boost and leaving the app and getting on the internet the apps just start up again. I'm assuming by the little indacator at the top of the screen. I'm thinking this boost is for when you are having trouble with a page load up then you hit the icon to boost the page download. I have an app killer on my phone and it does the same thing they start up as soon as you put your phone down. I use this on my phone to save battery life.

4. CatfishRivers

Yes and the way that I prefer to use Smart Ram Booster app is to set it to boost RAM automatically. I also prefer to make the indicator invisible. I set the app to the maximum boost levels and shortest time between boosts. I also set mine to boost if RAM falls below 300MB. You can experiment with all of these different settings from within the settings menu inside the app.

5. CatfishRivers

I noticed that going to settings on my Logitech Revue and then "manage applications" - and then force stop and clear data from the Chrome app every once in a while speeds things up just about as good as doing the full factory reset (without the extra hassle of the full reset).

You will lose your GTV bookmarks when clearing all data from the Chrome app UNLESS you have synced your GTV bookmarks to your Google account. There was a special procedure for doing this that was mentioned on another thread. When your GTV bookmarks are properly synced to your Google account then they are automatically restored when you do a factory reset or clear data from Chrome.

Thanks to Carlszone for the following explanation on how to sync your GTV bookmarks to your Google account:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thanks to a poster in the Web-nuts GTV group, I think I can explain the problem. As Norbert explains it in his excellent post, we actually have two Bookmark screens. If your account is properly synced you should see a bookmark screen that has an "Other Bookmarks" folder. Many will remember that when we first logged on this is the Bookmark screen we saw. But w/Factory resets and upgrades, this screen reverted back to the unsynced bookmark page. Remember, the Logitech Revue bookmarks are not saved to Google Bookmarks.

From Chrome>Settings>Google Chrome Sync>checkmark (Sync browser bookmarks w/your Google Acct)>Google Account (Select an Account to sync)>Choose Acct.

The obvious missing link has been clicking on each acct you want to sync.

Now you will see the screen that has the Other folder. You can now save sites to this page. Just go to sites and add yer bookmarks as you normally would. The other folder you can use for sites that you want separate from the main folder. For example I use it for Movies and Videos.

Now, you can also go back and forth from the synced bookmark page to the unsynced w/out loosing any of the synced sites. This is great for retrieving saved Favs and adding them to the synced page. Just remember to repeat the steps in settings.

So to recap: we have two Bookmark pages. One we will only see if the account is properly synced. Our bookmarks are NOT stored on Google Bookmarks! And you can use both pages as long as you make the necessary changes in Settings."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  6. guest

guest Active Member

On the keyboard, our GTV bookmarks are accessible by depressing the starred key. I copied all the GTV bookmarks to my main Google Bookmarks page, to be on the safe side - about 25 bookmarks. I did the "sync bookmarks" instructions, then cleared data/force stopped Google Chrome. My GTV bookmarks didn't reappear. Fortunately, I saved them "offsite". My main objective was making the Revue run faster. Hopefully, that will be accomplished with this procedure.

PS - After the force stop/clear data, the sync bookmarks was unchecked. I rechecked it and hit alt/ctrl/del, but they are still not showing up.

7. CatfishRivers

First you need to click the folder that says "other bookmarks". You should see the "other bookmarks" folder when you press the star key for your GTV bookmarks. It's in there with your other GTV bookmarks. Then you need to add all your GTV bookmarks to that "other bookmarks" page.

Next after you cleared data from Chrome and checked the sync bookmarks in settings - you need to then be sure to click on your Google Account (right below where you check to sync bookmarks in settings).

8. guest

guest Active Member

I'm not seeing "Other Bookmarks", just "Add Bookmark".

9. guest

guest Active Member

O.K. The Revue is definitely buggy regarding this issue. I have two gmail accounts; you can sync with one or the other account. So there are three possibilities to check/uncheck: 1) sync browser bookmarks and 2) one or the other gmail account. After checking/unchecking each a couple of times, the "Other Bookmarks" page showed up. It was empty. The page rendering, though, seems to be faster after the force stop/clear data procedure.

10. CatfishRivers

OK now you need to add your GTV bookmarks one by one to that other bookmarks page.

Click on other bookmarks. Then go to the other web pages that you want to add to the other bookmarks page - and press the star key and add them to bookmarks in in the usual manner. They should then show up in your other bookmarks page.

11. guest

guest Active Member

So I'm on (one of the ) favorites pages, the one showing "Other Bookmarks". When I add Favorites, they don't get placed in the "Other Bookmarks" folder, they only get placed alongside the "Other Bookmarks" bookmark. Am I right in concluding that this page is the one that will be sync'ed? When I click on "Other Bookmarks", it remains empty.

12. CatfishRivers

Yes that's right. Make sure the box in settings is checked to sync your GTV bookmarks to your Google account. If it is properly synced you will see the "other bookmarks" folder in your bookmarks section. Now just add all your bookmarks again one by one in the usual manner. They will show up beside the other bookmark folder (not in it).

Then when you are finished adding all your GTV bookmarks - go ahead and clear data from Chrome app. Then re-check the box in settings to sync your bookmarks to your Google account - and then click on your Google account (right below where you checked the box in settings to sync your account). You should then see your GTV bookmarks in your bookmark section that you synced to your account.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Catfish, I'll never understand why Logitech made this feature so confusing. The bookmark syncing is a great feature but way too complicated. But glad to see ya hanging in there.

Carl

14. guest

guest Active Member

I notice when I force close Chrome and clear the data that my bookmarks are all in blue; each bookmark contains a blue circle. I find that to restore the normal background, I have to open each bookmark. That's a tedious process when you've bookmarked 50 sites. Is there a faster way to restore the background image for each bookmark after clearing data from the Chrome app? (Is this just a Revue issue?)

15. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Not really. Bookmarks usually retain the last cached image of the page. Deleting Cache or force closing Chrome erases that image. But on Google TV devices all bookmarks show up in the Chrome browser under the first two letter of the bookmark. Perhaps this is an easier way?

Carl

16. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

Can these revues be modified with adding more ram?

17. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No, at least not in any practical manner. I can't say for certain it would be absolutely impossible to remove the motherboard, unseat the existing RAM chip and solder a newer larger chip in its place but I can say I wouldn't do it, best case results might be something like 1 out of 100 attempts successful but maybe not, the result might be 0 out of 100 successful. The magicians capable of hardware upgrades where no such upgrade was designed for can probably give us a good answer whether or not it is technically possible but very difficult to do. In this case whether just impossible or very difficult, the difference tends to be meaningless and we can just accept impossible as the real world answer.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

Is the future buying a ipad or similar device that connects wireless to tv. That way you got your speed and keyboard. I like the keyboard idea.

19. guest

guest Active Member

If Google doesn't mandate speed improvements when it licenses the platform, Google TV is just going to become another WebTV. God knows how many millions are still using WebTV. Of course, Microsoft doesn't mind. And neither will Google mind.... Connecting iPad's to our TV's may be our future.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

I only got like 4 extra apps besides the ones that come with the revue. I seem to only have one third left of ram. Some apps I can't get rid of.