Quantcast

Revue + Tivo Series 2

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by drweb, Oct 29, 2011.

1. drweb

drweb New Member

First post, sorry if already covered. I just got the Revue from Best Buy, but I didn't check my TiVo to ensure I could keep it active in the mix/setup, since I do love my TiVo. Turns out, it has NO HDMI ports on the back, so I can't put it into the setup array according to the instructions.

I did check the back of the TiVo and it has 2 unused USB ports. Could I get a USB cable with USB connectors on both ends, put one into the back of the TiVo Series 2 box, and put one into the Revue's USB port? Would I be able to use/see the TiVo via the Revue then?

Anyone tried this yet? IF NOT, I guess I'll take it back and return. I can upgrade the TiVo box to Premiere later on, and that box has a HDMI port on it.

Take care,
    DrWeb

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No, you will just need to use the two devices connected to different inputs on your display. If your display has HDMI input, I would recommend keeping the Revue. I use TiVoHD and Revue on two different displays now and love having that combination.

3. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

These are my thoughts,

I highly doubt that using a male to male USB will work at all for what you want to do. I would suggest keeping the Revue and upgrading to a Premiere as without HDMI ports you are short cutting yourself short in many areas including audio and video quality, as HDMI is the standard these days. I can tell you that the Premiere pairs very nicely with the Revue.

I have cut the cord several months ago and picked up a Premiere bundle (Premiere & Clearstream 2 OTA antenna) for $99 at Best Buy last week. Tivo only charges $9.99 a month if you only use the antenna OTA input which is really not bad at all. It also came with a 6 month sub to Hula Plus at no additional charge. I really like the Premiere as this is my first Tivo (I have had just about every DVR that D*sh put out from our beloved D*shplayer all the way up to a 722k)

The antenna also works well as I am 30 miles North of Atlanta and I am able get close to 40 channels and the majority are HD. Between OTA and using Googletv, WDLive and Tivo Premiere I pretty much now can watch anything I want without having a outrageous Cable Sat bill. Each is there own but I recommend the Premiere as it does pair well with the Revue.

I have attached two pics as one is my entertainment center (Premiere is on top) and the other is my ClearStream antenna set up on a modified bird feeder extender as I live in an apartment complex. Just my thoughts as usual.

Kev $Clear Stream Ant 002 resize (480x640).jpg $001.jpg

4. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

I bought a used Tivo HD for $60 and it has hdmi. I have it hooked up with my Sony GoogleTV blu ray player and it works perfectly.

Just a thought.

5. drweb

drweb New Member

Thanks, Chris. I think that's best, have to move to TiVo Premiere next. Right now, I still have TiVo via a different input onto the Sony TV Bravia, using the video connections instead of HDMI. I switch using INPUT on the TV remote between that and HDMI 1 for the Revue. Love it so far, but I look forward to that new update :).. thanx again, DrWeb

6. drweb

drweb New Member

Thanks, CB.. I have cable box with HDMI, so that's working ok. I just need to upgrade to TiVo Premiere for the HDMI setup that way. Take care, DrWeb

7. drweb

drweb New Member

Good deal and price, thanks. I'll have to move up to TiVo Premiere for the full show via HDMI. Thanks again, DrWeb

8. jlawou

jlawou New Member

How did you get the 9.99 deal? Can't find it anywhere on the website. Also if I get a HD Tivo can I use it without activating the DVR functions, basically not paying for service. I'm just looking to use it to get Google TV on my TV. We don't have cable, strictly OTA.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The $9.99 OTA service is actuated by using the "ANTENNA" promotional code when activating your Tivo. The special is often rotated on a banner ad on the top of this website. You can also use Google to find the specifics but the promotion is only applicable if you do NOT use cable cards. If you were to use cable card or using Tivo past 5 years then I'd recommend using the "PLSR" promotional code for the $100 Lifetime Service discount instead. Besides, Lifetime Service increases the value of the Tivo should you decide in reselling because a more advance unit came out at a later date.

As for using an unsubscribe Tivo, look up user ChrisG8. I believe at one point he was using his unsubscribed Tivo HD with a Revue.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. jlawou

jlawou New Member

Thanks for the help. I have a Logitech Revue and Tivo series 3 in the mail arriving 11/5. Can't wait to hop on the Google TV bandwagon. I'm hoping to use the series 3 Tivo unsubscribed.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad I could help and hope it works out for you.

12. ChrisG8

I have used the Logitech Revue with an unsubscribed TiVoHD with antenna for OTA and it works well. The added benefit over just the TiVoHD is the Google TV provides some guide and program data. As far as the TiVo, you can use both tuners and the 30 minute buffer to rewind live TV, pause one football game and switch to another, that sort of thing. I haven't used it with unscrambled cable channels so I can't comment on that aspect of use except to say it should work in some manner. I would still be using one of my Revues with an unsubcribed TiVoHD if I hadn't broken the HDMI input on the display in the den. I now use the unsubscribed TiVoHD with the component input on that display.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It's funny you mentioned that, as you're my "goto guy" for unsubscibed Tivos and I mentioned that earlier in the thread. :)

14. FA1321

FA1321 New Member

I have a Revue and love it so much I have been really considering cutting off my uverse service. I just put a antenna in my attic and get 100% signal on most of the OTA channels the picture is great but I really like the Uverse DVR. I want to pause, rewind & record my OTA signal I was really considering the Magnavox MDR515H I didnt really consider the TiVo HD because I though the service fee was $19.99 but if its $9.99 for OTA setup it might be worth it can you guys give an opinion on this? I see TiVo HD boxes for less than half of the Magnavox new and even less used on craigslist.

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You should consider buying a Lifetime Tivo Premiere. I know it sounds expensive but if you're planning on using it more than 3 to 5 years then you'll save in the subscription fees. I posted a table here for the cost structure: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...decline-fall-tivo-media-center.html#post13088. (Actually, it doesn't have the $9.99 offer but I can calculate that later). Anyways, a good thing about getting a Lifetime sub on the Tivos is that it raises the intrinsic value, especially if in the future you decide to sell it and replace with a newer model. You can also use the PLSR promotion code to get $100 discount on the Lifetime sub.

16. jncarent

jncarent New Member

Composite and S-Video to HDMI Converter from Monoprice.

17. jlawou

jlawou New Member

Got my Revue and TiVo ser3 setup today. No problem with the Revue but I can't get my OTA channels to show up through the TiVo. I have the coaxial going into antenna in and I'm getting a signal if I connect the coaxial straight to the tv but the Tivo shows nothing. I purchased the TiVo used and it almost looks like it is still programmed with the previous owners cable connection. I can't find a way to reset the TiVo nor to force it to antenna input. I have restarted the Tivo several times and also checked signal strengths under settings. It reads the correct channel but doesn't display any signal when checking signal strength. Any help would be most appreciated.

I very well could have missed something since I had a 3 year old tugging at me the entire time I was setting it up. Also I'm trying to use the TiVo unsubscribed.

18. ChrisG8

It sounds like you haven't bothered to set up the TiVo, you need to tell the TiVo what source to use. Hit the TiVo button>Settings>Channels and it should be self explanatory. Read the directions, a manual is available at TiVo.com if you don't have one.

19. jlawou

jlawou New Member

I reset all the settings, now trying to set it up but can't get past connecting it to the Tivo servers. Do I have to connect to Tivo servers even to use it unsubscribed? Doesn't look like I can get past that. I don't have home phone, running an ethernet line there is out of the question and I really don't want to buy a wireless adapter just for setting up. Nothing is ever easy.

20. ChrisG8

Yes, connect to the TiVo servers to get channel numbers, as far as I know that is the only way. Take it somewhere with an internet connection to set it up as you only need to do that when new channels are added. If you have an ethernet to wireless adapter and a wireless signal available, that will work. Maybe borrow an ethernet to wireless adapter if you don't have one, I have several, maybe you know somebody that has one. The TiVo USB wireless-G adapter is around $30 now if you have to buy an adapter.