Quantcast

Revue seems to be better than the co-star?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by kllngtme, Nov 16, 2012.

1. kllngtme

kllngtme New Member

So, considering these are the second wave of googletv's out there, with a faster processor and such, I was assuming it'd just have more benefits/features that the logitech revue has.

I've owned a Logitech revue since it came out and just wanted to get this so I had a snappier googletv. What are there so many quirks to this thing? I'm pretty disappointed in my purchase, maybe someone can help me out?

Here's what I've noticed that's pretty annoying and backwards I feel and or different from the Logitech Revue:

1. I cant skip forward 30 seconds, you can only fast forward? Why?

2. When using PlayPoint for my local media, you can't type in to bring up what you've typed.. Don't know if that makes sense, but with the revue, I can goto my local media content, type in "The" and it will only show me everything in the list that has "The" in the title. So if you have a lot of media, with Playpoint, you have to scroll down to get to what you want, kinda annoying, not a deal breaker but why have the full keyboard readily available?

3. The other thing that's utterly annoying with using Playpoint is, you can't go back folders, if you hit back, it exits the app, and you have to open it up and start from scratch again to get to the folder you want and etc..

4. Every single mkv works on the Logitech Revue just about, only a handful don't, but not on the costar, the sound is missing?! What the hell is going on? Isn't this the next version of googletv's? What am I missing? I could've sworn I read that mkv's work on the co-star before purchasing it, and now it seems like the video works but the sound doesn't.. Is there a setting I'm missing or something? The mkv's that work fine on the Revue don't work the same on the co-star :/

5. Widgets. What's going on with this? You have to goto click on widgets in order to see the widget? How is that a widget then? Shouldn't the widget be up with the side bar? I'm confused..

I'm sure I can come up with other stuff but the first nights use with it, this is what I have been irritated with and now I feel like it's not as useful as the Revue, I've setup the co-star in my bedroom now, which doesn't have cable in there, so it's essential a dumb thing to even have now, only useful for streaming stuff off the internet which I rarely do(besides youtube)...

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I only own a Logitech Revue - so I can't make a comparison from my own personal experience.

However I try to read many of the reviews about all the Google TV devices - and I had posted this thread (see link below) that compares the consumer ratings (from Amazon) for all of the GTV boxes released thus far. Have you viewed the thread? I think that you might find it interesting:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...p-box-ratings-some-disappointing-numbers.html

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Give the Co-Star time, it is going to be updated and improved. I only own first generation boxes but with the faster processor and greater effort being made by Google and the various manufacturers towards improving the second generation boxes, those will soon be the product to own. I tend to believe the first generation is a little better as of right now but there is no way that will hold for long. If you need greater codec support than the Co-Star offers, that may be a reason to dump it and get one of the Sony models, particularly the upcoming NSZ-GP9, it should be the best to date, but even the NSZ-GS7 should handle a greater number of files properly than the Revue and Co-Star.

The Revue has been much maligned by members here and at various forums but my two are pretty darn good.

4. kllngtme

kllngtme New Member

I dunno how or what I'm going to use this for at the moment, I'm hoping they will have some updates soon to fix a lot of stuff that I mentioned.

Not that I don't like the sidebar as well, but I'd rather have the classic googletv look, with the bar on the bottom that only takes up one row of favorite apps, it takes up less space on your tv and feels more like an android. I dunno.. I'm pretty sad at the way googletv is going from getting this. I thought this would essentially fix all the dumb stuff with googletv and it certainly hasn't.

One other thing as well as I mentioned the processor. The processor isn't as fast as I'd to think it was.. there's certainly a stutter/lag occasionally and I have the latest firmware as well. I noticed also, when configuring everything on the sidebar and settings and stuff that the live tv in the background, the sound would stutter occasionally when ever I would configure and set something and stuff.. Makes me think it's not really true pass-through or something as the processor is somehow effecting the sound.. wierd. I'll keep posting stuff I have issues with, not to "*****" so to speak, but to ensure people know what I've noticed for their own reference and decision, and as well to possibly give me a clue on something I'm missing or didn't know about previously..

5. googlethis

googlethis New Member

I liked the Revue but I had a couple of complaints. It was kind of sluggish at times and the Netflix buffering/error thing pissed me off. I have a really good internet connection with 25 down and 3 up ( 30 down and 5 up with speed boost) and Netflix ran flawlessly until they updated the Revue and I started getting that 2 minutes of play then an error then having to hit play again and it would usually play fine for the rest of the show. The audio being decoded by the Revue and being sent to the receiver as 5.1 although it was stereo and thus not allowing the receiver to go into pro logic mode if it needed to didn't bother me a lot at the time and I forgot about the lower volume too.

I bought a Sony NSZ-GS7 and this thing is wonderful. The volume is back to being as loud as it was before the Revue was added to our system. I can bitstream through HDMI to our receiver and it can decode properly. Netflix never gives me an error and never has any buffering problems. It is very quick too (especially noticed in Chrome) and I noticed that the video looked crisper and sharper. I would have thought it was just my eyes playing tricks but my daughter's boyfriend said he thought the video looked nicer too, especially the blacks and colors.
    One complaint I had (seems to be solved now with latest firmware but still a little weary) is that the Sony sometimes loses the HDMI input from the Directv box. I reboot it and it is fine. I turned off the HDMI CEC which would turn off the NSZ-GS7 when the TV was turned off and it seemed to help after the update last month. After a couple weeks I turned the HDMI CEC back on and a couple days later the HDMI input dropped out on me so I turned it back off and then another firmware update came out this month. I haven't had another HDMI input problem since but still waiting to see.

One thing I love is that Sony has had a firmware update every month I've owned it. I bought it Sept 7th and after installing I got an update then later in the month I got another one. in October there was another update then this month I got another. Much better support than the Revue had in firmware updates.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  6. kllngtme

kllngtme New Member

Yea, the co-star did fix the issue of the volume being low which was thankful and I agree, the picture did seem better, even with the co-star. Revue is certainly laggy and sluggish, that's why I wanted to try and get away from using it.

Another thing I wanted to try and get away from with the Revue is the need to constantly reboot the thing cause live tv sometimes would show a picture but no sound and the screen would blink. Very annoying, I needed to reboot the Revue once a week or so.. random. I wish I went for the Sony but at the same time, I just don't feel the need to purchase something over $100 when googletv is still on that borderline of being something that gets killed at any moment. Though, I have the best intentions, I truly hope this is the best product for an eventual cabletv cutter.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

"I truly hope this is the best product for an eventual cabletv cutter."

-----------------------------------------------------------

IMO GTV will never be the ultimate cord-cutting device. This is because Google has specifically stated that their intention is for Google TV to be an adjunct to cable/satellite TV - and not a replacement for cable TV. This is why the GTV devices are designed with both an HDMI In and HDMI Out (to interact with the cable box). The stated purpose is to enhance the cable TV experience....

It's obvious that other companies such as Hulu, the major TV networks, and Comcast view Google TV as a potential threat. This is why I don't expect a Hulu Plus app anytime soon (if ever), deep integration with a Comcast cable box, and streaming from the network web sites to be unblocked.

In fact for pure cord-cutting purposes a HTPC, laptop, or even a Chromebook connected to the TV would probably currently be better - because that way you could stream everything from the Hulu web site and all the TV networks web sites (without having to go through hoops such as using Playon with a computer via DLNA).

Also the current trend is for TV web sites to require "authentication" of a cable/satellite subscription to view full episodes online. HBO GO, Fox, TNT, TBS all require "authentication". There is even talk that Hulu is in the process of eventually switching over to a model that will require users to "authenticate" to view much of the programming.

I do however feel that GTV used in conjunction with a Tivo, and with several subscription services such as Netflix, and combined with other devices/computers can be a useful tool to aid those that want to cut the cord. Just not the end-all device to accomplish it on it's own.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  8. googlethis

googlethis New Member

If I remember right the Sony has locked up where I had to reboot it maybe 2 times. The loss of HDMI input where I had to reboot it has been maybe about 7 or 8 times. Neither one have happened in a couple weeks though so hopefully it is resolved.
    To be continued...

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I will have to agree with Catfish, as things stand now a PC is probably the best single box for cord cutting. I cut the cord in 2009 and I use an antenna on the roof with TiVo; PS3 for Hulu Plus, Vudu, and Amazon Prime; a PC with PlayOn/PlayLater; and Google TV boxes. Google TV is obviously designed as a supplement to a traditional pay TV source but I see that as a red herring really, I think it is the best streaming box for cord cutters and Google designed it to blend internet entertainment with a cable or satellite TV source to make it appear otherwise. Since so many important sites block Google TV and there is still no Hulu Plus or Vudu or Amazon Video app it falls short of a traditional PC for the purpose.

Most of the shortcomings I see with Google TV are completely out of Google's control. If the various networks, Hulu and Vudu don't want to be available to Google TV, there is nothing Google can do to change that. I can access the Vudu movies I own with the Flixter app on Google TV but unless I am missing something, I can not view Vudu rentals with Google TV.

10. tommycat

tommycat New Member

You should have bought the Sony gs7 more money but less problems.I have revue and the Sony box i find the Sony is much better

11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Yep, I think Revue owners are going to be more happy with the Sony. Fact is they bought a $200 Cadillac (at least those who bought it before it was discontinued) when the Vizio is meant to be the GTV econobox. The $100 price point is great, but tradeoffs had to be made.

12. tommycat

tommycat New Member

i have never had the hdmi problem with my sony box maybe it is a hdmi wire problem

13. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Nope, switched cables a while back and that didn't help. It hasn't done it in a while since the last update and turning off HDMI CEC settings.