Quantcast

revue newbie...few questions...

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by smttysmth02gt, May 20, 2011.

1. smttysmth02gt

smttysmth02gt New Member

Yesterday we got dish network installed and got the logitech revue set up. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a way for the STB power button to be programmed to actually power the STB (DVR) on/off?

2. The surround sound works when we're watching the DVR, but when I run netflix off the Revue, obviously it doesn't work since the RCA cable is plugged from the DVR to the Audio receiver. Is there a way to connect the surround sound to the Revue so it will work with netflix (and pandora - It's kind of pointless to even have pandora if you're just going to have it going through your tv instead of an audio system)? The only option I've come up with would be the spdif cable connection but those look rather expensive.

3. The install tech installed the IR blaster and set it right in front of the tv in front of the Wii wireless thingy. The only problem with connectivity of the Revue keyboard I've noticed is that the volume doesn't always want to work on it (tv volume). Does this sound like a connection problem with the IR blaster or possibly something else?

The tech also basically "hid" the unit up on top of my DVR box inside the entertainment center where it's jammed up in there out of view. He also put the little antennae for the STB remotes in the back of it and I've noticed that the 2nd tv remote doesn't work that great. I know that's not revue related exactly but should I pull the revue and the remote antennae out in hopes that it will improve performance?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. galfert

galfert Active Member

Your tech person is not very good. Lots of mistakes....

1) The Revue itself is an IR blaster too. Jamming it all up there out of sight on top of the STB is a bad idea. If relocated it will have line of sight to send IR power ON/OFF to STB. The way you have it you probably can't change channels either with the Revue remote...test it. If you can't relocate it the Revue has a port for a second IR blaster that you can purchase from Logitech. Set this second IR blaster closer to your STB. Seems to me like you also will need to possibly control sound volume on a receiver....so two blaster and the Revue itself makes three blaster if you really need this depending on where all your equipment is located. Most people can get buy without the additional IR blaster. In my setup I ended up needing the extra IR blaster.

2) You need to get rid of the RCA cables from the STB to the reciever. You don't need them. You do need an SPDIF cable it seems...and they are cheap if you look online....I suggest looking in Amazon (less than $10 I'm sure including shipping). One SPDIF cable will carry both sound from STB and Google TV to your receiver. A better solution would be to send sound out of HDMI to an HDMI receiver if you have that option. Then you don't need the SPDIF cable at all....but it sounds like you might not have an HDMI receiver.

3). Looks like you need to relocate the IR blaster so that it is closer to the TV's IR window for better consistent reliability.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. smttysmth02gt

smttysmth02gt New Member

I don't see how that would have anything to do with the STB power button. My main complaints are that the tv volume controls (specifically, everything else works fine) don't work sometimes (unexplained) and the STB power button does not work at all.

4. galfert

galfert Active Member

Well I explained it pretty well. You not getting my write-up explains why you needed a tech in the first place. My advice go find a better tech than the one you used before.

I'll try one more time.....I asked you to test changing channels....and you didn't get back to me on that. You said everything else works fine (but maybe you haven't tried changing channels yet or other STB feature like the Guide Button, or DVR button) and you give the example of the TV volume working...which is irrelevant because you haven't provided proof that you can control other matters with the STB. If you can't change channels (or other STB function like Guide or DVR list) then that means you can't do anything with the STB....and that probably the Revue's location is preventing the STB from receiving any IR signals. If you can change channels then that means your Google TV device does not have the proper STB configured in the Setup Wizard for input device. And it remains a possibility that your selection of Brand Model for STB in the Revue is wrong. So go to the Revue's Setup and see if your STB Model match what you really have.

Regarding your TV volume control sometimes working and sometimes not.....the answer is simple....move the IR blaster closer to the TV's IR window. It really doesn't get any simpler than that....and I can't think of any way to word this differently than I did before. Look for the location where your TV receives IR signals...place the IR Blaster as close to it as possible. On some TVs it is obvious and it may even be labeled. On some TVs the IR window is almost invisible unless you know what you are looking for. Often times the TV manual will point out where the IR window is on the TV.

Also... I leave my STB powered on all the time. So I don't see this as a critical issue if the STB ON/OFF is the only thing that doesn't work. It is a useless feature for the STB to even have a power button. Because it keeps running anyway in order to record your shows that you program. And powering it off does not make it consume any less power. Some STB have an electrical outlet that is controlled by the STB ON/OFF button....Only if you are using this functionality do I see the STB Power ON/OFF to be of any use.

But seriously.... I admire your courage to come to this forum and try and get help for someone not technical as yourself. That is what this forum is for. But sometimes a problem just needs another pair of eyes. If you are still lost, find someone more technical to go over these notes.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sometimes when I am streaming a video with my Revue the volume control on the Revue keyboard (for the TV) is sluggish. However my TV remote is never sluggish for adjusting volume when streaming a video.

6. smttysmth02gt

smttysmth02gt New Member

Thanks for the responses. Good point about the STB power button not being "worth having", in regards to the DVR staying on at all times anyway.

As far as being "technical", I'm an IT tech, so I don't feel that I need a tech. I mentioned what I saw as problems. So, obviously if I neglected any mention changing channels or the guide, it should be assumed there are no issues on that end. :) And there aren't.

I will go ahead and pull that sucker out of the entertainment center and move the IR blaster this next week when I get home from work. It sounds like that could/should solve my issues.