Quantcast

Revue Media Player w/ TVersity. mpegs not listed?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by fromtheotherbay, Nov 30, 2011.

1. fromtheotherbay

fromtheotherbay New Member

Hi,

I am trying to stream media content from my PC to my Logitech Revue using the TVersity media server. (I read in a number of places that TVersity is a good choice wit Revue because it supports on the fly transcoding etc.

Everything goes fine and I can play all my mp3 files. view pictures and even play certain video files (flv etc). However, none of the mpeg files show up on the Revue. I can see all the folders, but when I look inside them, I do not see any of the mpeg files listed.

Quite interestingly, if I use the browser to open the web interface of TVersity, I can see and play everything and TVersity encodes on the fly just fine. But why would I need to go through the browser when I should be able to use the Media Player?

Can anyone help me figure out what I am missing here?

Thanks!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The problem with the TVersity application is that the developer didn't write the Revue profile. Therefore, the TVersity is representing the some of your files as the wrong format and therefore they don't show up in the Logitech Media Player. Apparently, nstead it was created by a user named, ekrunch, who partially modified a PS3 profile to have some compatibility with the Revue. So, if you're unable to see certain files blame him.

The workaround is to use the Chrome web browser connect to the flashlib URL for the TVersity installacion on your PC. The URL is http://<ip.address>:41952/flashlib where the <ip.address> represents the ip address of the PC that is running TVersity. You'll be able to watch your videos because at least TVersity will know how to transcode to the Flash format. So, until someone gets around to fleshing out a proper profile you'll have to connect via Chrome.

3. fromtheotherbay

Thanks eferz for your input, I was suspecting that TVersity might be the culprit. My Blu Ray player is using the same Tversity server and is able to play the mpg-2 files just fine. Of course the bluray has native mpeg-2 support, so TVersity did not need to transcode.
    I tried ekrunch's profile definition for the revue (copy paste that section in profiles.xml, right?), but I still can't view the mpg file listings on the Revue. The only stuff I see are flv, mov etc.

I was able to use Chrome from the Revue, and as you have pointed out, revue is then able to transcode to flv without issues. However, the video quality on the browser is not as great as that on the media player.

Are you aware of any media servers like TVersity that would have a dedicated profile for the Revue and I would be able to play my mpeg-2 files without having to use the browser?

Thanks again for your prompt response!

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, that's not going to work because that is the exact same profile TVersity is now distributing with their Media Server.

There's no difference between transcoding via browser or the DLNA player. They go through the same codec software on the Revue. The process of on the fly transcoding is what is reducing the picture quality of your movies.

You can try TwonkyMedia Server it has the Android profile which is closer but not an exact match. Honestly, you're better off using a multimedia conversion tool like Format Factory or AVS Converter to convert your media if you're worried about picture quality.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

5. fromtheotherbay

Thanks Eferz. I did try twonky, Serviio, TVMobili also. None of them worked with those mpeg-2 files. Sadly all my family videos are ripped to mpeg-2 format, and a conversion to mp4 etc will be a Herculian effort. I sure hope they come up with native mpeg-2 support, which is really a pretty common format that's supported by most media players these days :-(

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. Sorry, I couldn't though.