Quantcast

Revue losing network connection problems?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by jjenson, Jan 23, 2011.

1. jjenson

jjenson New Member

I have a problem where while watching netflix or using pandora the revue loses its connection. If I go to settings and turn the wifi off then back on it works as normal.

Is there something with the WPA2 settings that let the revue lose its connection randomly?

2. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

There has been very mixed stability around using Wireless. My guess is that something in your home is causing interference with the WIFI signal and causing your interruption. I stopped using the wireless from day one because of the bandwidth needs of the Revue. I've been happy with my network connectivity ever since.

3. galfert

galfert Active Member

The problem could also be some of these new WiFi routers that do automatic channel selection and when they sense interference they automatically change channels. Some WiFi routers that I've seen do a poor job of automatically switching channels and I've often resorted to just setting a channel manually so that it dosen't change and I've noticed better connection retention. I recommend you install inSSIDer on a laptop to scan the frequencies in use around you so that you can make the best channel selection manually. Of course you should periodically depending on your envirornment recheck that no neighboring WiFi access points have been introduced into the picture, as you may want to manully change channels again if you feel is required.

4. JeffreyRMiller

JeffreyRMiller New Member

I'm having same issue, if Revue sits idle for a while, I have to go and turn my router on and off to regain connectivity. I used inSSIDer and found channel 3 to be empty, switched to it and it has made no difference.

5. jjenson

jjenson New Member

I will try those options and Jeffrey mine is different I don't have to touch my router at all. I just go into settings and turn the wireless off then back on and it works perfectly.

6. JeffreyRMiller

I have tried just about everything with my router setting - but after experimenting, it stays on fine while in use, but after idle time it disconnects, am I missing something in settings, or will a future firmware update solve this issue? I have my router in the basement, so wiring isn't an option, or I would have done that from the beginning. Frustrated!

7. harley man

harley man New Member

you should look at this from logitech its easy way to hard wire your revue HD Powerline 200a Starter Kit or bestbuy has this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR...2460995&skuId=9700669&st=power line&cp=1&lp=5

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. galfert

galfert Active Member

Check that the Revue isn't overheating where you placed it. If it is sitting on top of other stereo equipment or DVR for example it may be too hot and causing it to act messed up. Proper cooling is critical as that Atom processor in the Revue gets pretty hot itself.

If you have any 2.4 GHz cordless phones throw them way. Get new DECT 6.0 cordless phones that use 1.9 GHz. No interference. (I love my Panasonic DECT 6.0 with talking Caller ID).

You might also want to check that you don't have two devices on the network acting as DHCP servers. I've seen networks where there are two wireless routers or a wireless router and a cable modem or DSL modem that are also doing DHCP. In some cases the problem could be a wireless router that is connected to the Internet via the LAN port instead of the WAN port and both the router and cable/dsl are doing DHCP.

Another problem could be the Wireless network name you are using (SSID). If the name of your wireless network is "Linksys" and a neighbor also didn't configure their router and left it too as "Linksys" then your Revue could be having a hard time distinguishing between your wireless network and your neighbor's and it might be going back trying to choose one signal versus the other. Good practice on a wireless network is to give the wireless network a unique name (non-descript) and use WPA2 encryption.

But the problem you are having could just really be a really weak signal. You might just be too far from the wireless access point for it to work reliably. Newer Wireless N devices have greater range than older Wireless G devices. So if you don't have a Wireless N router then this might be a worthy investment, and go for a good one which will have more antennas and more speed. I really like the Cisco Linksys E3000 or the soon to be release if not out already E4200. I also like changing the firmware on the E3000 to DD-WRT where you can have more options like increasing the db level of the wireless signal. The E4200 probably will not support DD-WRT for a few months so go for the E3000 and put DD-WRT on it. Don't increase the wireless db level too much as it will have adverse effect and introduce more noise and affect performance so go up little by little and test.

Another option is to get a second wireless router like the E3000 and put DD-WRT on it but it becomes a second access point on your network and you keep your original in place (remember to shut off DHCP ont this second device). There is a special configuration you can do with an E3000 only wirelessly on the network with no Ethernet runs to it. It can act as a WDS (Wireless Distribution System) esntially repeating the wireless signal. Although this may solve your problem realize the implementing WDS cuts your wireless bandwidth speed in half because it needs to be repeated.

Better yet may be to get the second wireless router and perhaps maybe you can run an Ehternet line to it from the main router and get closser to your Revue that the first wireless router. Then you turn off DHCP. Connect this second one via LAN port. use the same SSID but different channel. And now you won't have the disadvantages of a WDS repeater. Essentially in this configuraiton you don't set up WDS.

One more option is to set up an E3000 with DD-WRT and configure it as a Client Bridge. You connect it to the Revue via Ethernet and you can get as close as you can to your wireless router. You said a direct Ethernet run was not possible but maybe this way you can just go wired from the Revue to get a little closer. When you configure the E3000 as a Client Bridge you enter your wireless SSID to match your main wireless router and the same encryption. You do all the configuration with a PC or a laptop and then after it is setup you can run Ethernet from the E3000 LAN port to the Revue. The Revue will think it is using a wired connection but at the end of that wired connection is the E3000 converting to a wireless connection via its Client Bridge configuration.

If you do choose to test any of these solutions that use a second wireless router on the network the imporant things to remember are to change the static IP of the second router from 192.168.1.1 to something else say 192.168.1.2 so that it doesn't conflict with your main router. Secondly as I said turn off DHCP because you don't want two DHCP servers on the same network.

Harely Man's suggestion of a poweline networking might make things more simple than anything I've discussed here. Unless you do have two DHCP server on the network which could be affecting your other network devices wired or wireless and you just might have been so lucky that it doesn't seem like it has affected other devices, but it could.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  9. jjenson

jjenson New Member

I switched to WPA2 Personal, Turned DMZ off and everything seems to be working perfectly now. It has not had this issue since I made teh switch.

10. MikeRoberts44

MikeRoberts44 New Member

I had the same problem when I first set up my Revue, and when I previously used WiFi with a Wii to connect with Netflix. It actually turned out that when my wife parked her car in the garage (close to straight line between the router and Revue), the WiFi got much worse. I ran a Cat 5e cable between the router and the Revue and couldn't be happier. My best Speedtest results with WiFi were about 2.5 mb/sec and less than 0.5 mb/sec with my wife's car in the garage. With the Cat 5e cable, I routinely get over 10 mb/sec and no drops!

11. JeffreyRMiller

Thanks everybody! I decided I'm just gonna hardwire it. I can get all the equipment I need from MonoPrice.com for under $15.00

12. ppang1968

ppang1968 New Member

Hey u all, I had the same problem. Tried everything to no avail. Went and ordered some powerline ethernet adapters but now I don't need them. Damn, now I either have to return ship them or just keep them. I simply unplugged the power from the device and plugged it back in. The damn thing haven't lost connection for over half a day now. It was losing its connection like every 30 mins or sooner before. Should have tried unplugging before ordering them powerline adapters.

13. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

I'd just go ahead and use the powerline adapters - your connection will be 1st rate and everything is going to be quicker and with a top notch picture for Netflix

14. MikeRoberts44

MikeRoberts44 New Member

+1 on the Cat 5 connection.

Also, for the occasional reboot of the Revue, Ctrl Alt Del works just fine.

15. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

That's always the best idea if you can do it. I bought the Review a week and a half ago. Decided up front that I would hard wire.
    Had to get up in the attic in the heat, etc., but it works great. Was worth the effort.
    For anyone else who has considered running a Cat5e (or Cat6) cable, but you think there's no way, look again and think.
    Took me two weeks of thinking, "how can I run a cable from my router to my living room where my AV system is?"
    Finally hit me.

16. mkiker2089

mkiker2089 New Member

I have the same issue. I turned off channel selection in the router and set it to the one with the least interference. The only other things in the area on 2.4 are the remote for my PS3 and the Logitech keyboard itself. It's not a normal interference issue anyway since it doesn't come back on it's own. I fear that it's a hardware issue but of course I can't prove it. I even flashed the new Honeycomb on it just to see if it was something in the 2.1 software, but no avail.

I have found the fasted way (with Honycomb anyhow) to get it back is just to ctr-alt-del it since it reboots faster than I could go through the menus.

One advantage to Honeycomb at least is it tells you on the notification menu that the wifi is dead. On 2.1 I only found out when I tried to browse and it would start failing to find the servers.