Quantcast

Revue is useless now

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by drdigital1, Sep 11, 2011.

1. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

I got the Revue in order to watch espn3 and international TV on my big screen TV with a friendlier user interface/remote control than a PC.
    In less than a month, the Revue is going back in the box and the PC is connected back to the TV. Reasons:
    1. as mentioned by many others espn3 cannot be watched anymore because of unsupported version of flash
    2. international TV is not working anymore either – possibly because of the same incompatibility.

Like all the rest, I hope that the HC update will fix these. If not, all I got for my $99 is a nice wireless keyboard!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Incidentally, the Logitech Keyboard Controller is currently selling for $99. So, either way... you got your money's worth.

3. FastKatt

FastKatt New Member

FWIW...
    The Revue does plenty without being what you hoped for, right now.
    I would think with the next update your issue will be resolved.
    Either way, I think it's a great $99 investment.
    Just my 2¢

4. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Not sure if you are into gaming but the XBox 360 has a fantastic ESPN 3 app..great video, far superior picture than what the website gives on google tv when it worked.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

/agree

6. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

wait it out before you throw it back in the box..more coming..honeycomb 3.1 on the way,and "ICS" is right behind it..hang in there.

7. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

One of Google's more creative names I heard of was Jellybean,a predecessor to Ice Cream Sandwich,down the line..makes me wonder why all their software has food names lol

8. FastKatt

FastKatt New Member

Because they are all high... Names come from the Munchy of the day =)

Swyped on my Droid Bionic, sent via Tapatalk. It's amazing what ones thumb can do!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

How does the XBox 360 result in superior picture quality when watching ESPN3, compared to other devices capable of accessing the site?

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Instead of programming for a generic Flash platform, the ESPN3 programmers took full advantage of the Xbox 360 platform. Take a look at the video...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  11. ChrisG8

Thanks, it requires a pay service, XBox Live?

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

As per ESPN3.com's FAQ for Xbox Live

13. ChrisG8

Thanks again, I am not going to get an XBox 360 or XBox Live Gold so I am not going to be able to take advantage of that service, although it does look like it works well. I tried to figure out if I have something other than Google TV connected to a display that can access ESPN3 since Google TV won't work for now and didn't find anything that indicates I do. The devices in my signature are connected to the internet but I don't think anything works today for ESPN3, or least if it does, I don't know how to do it.

14. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

As I mentioned in my original post, after the change by espn3 service, I went back to my PC which works just fine. It's not as wife-friendly as Revue/GTV but it works great!

15. ChrisG8

I don't have a PC connected to a display I watch sports on. I know I can watch ESPN3 on a PC screen but won't bother.

16. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

here's the article on "ics" and beyond if you're interested..it just arrived in my email

On Thursday, Google’s Eric Schmidt talked about the upcoming release of Android, code-named Ice Cream Sandwich. We first heard about ICS back at Google I/O earlier this year, and we’re hoping to get an official release of Google’s revamped mobile OS in the next couple months. The first pictures of the OS leaked out a while ago. Meanwhile, the Android team is already looking at the next release, which will be called Jelly Bean.

Jelly Bean continues the tradition of naming the OS after sweets in alphabetical order. According to an anonymous, but credible source from TIMN, Ice Cream Sandwich will be much more than just a slight upgrade. This will be a major release. However, Google apparently had some trouble squeezing in everything that they wanted. Some “major features” will be left out of ICS, and are instead slated for Jelly Bean. Jelly Bean is in itself a working title, but as there’s a lack of sweets starting with “J”, it’s a good bet that this will be the final name. You know, since Jello is a trademarked name.

At this point we know little about ICS, and even less about Jelly Bean. All we do know is that Jelly Bean is said to include “game changing features”. ICS will premiere on the upcoming Nexus device, currently being dubbed the Nexus Prime/DROID Prime/Galaxy Nexus, depending on where you look.

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't think that anyone doubts whether or not Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) is going to come out to specific Android devices later this year. Especially, since there have been prior reports that Google intends on having a "Nexus" device available to compete with the anticipated iPhone 5 release. Skepticism is targeted towards Google TV (GTV) devices being on the same update cycle as unreleased hardware. Past trends have shown that Google TV is at least one major update behind "the latest and greatest" Android device, like the Motorola Xoom.

It would be one thing if we had root access and the ability to deploy unsigned system software on the GTV boxes. This would allow us to deploy any version update on our own volition, as many people have done in the past when their mobile carrier or tablet manufacturer have not been so quick to adopt to the new operating system updates. However, we don't have this ability and have to abide by the trickle down effect of updates from Google to the OEM and then over-the-air to our GTVs.

Incidentally, I recently got an email from a "barrister" indicating that I am only the heir of a recently departed, long-lost relative whom I've not ever heard of before.

18. donatom3

donatom3 New Member

Just to let you know the new 3.1 update lets me run espn3.com. It has flash 10.2 but I would think they're going to let us keep up to date with flash since the market is available in it. The Xbox 360 is the superior way to watch Espn3. Worth it if you already have it, but not worth the expense unless you're hardcore about your sports and want the dual view customize able sports ticker, and better quality.

19. mrdavidpayne

mrdavidpayne New Member

wow, i would drool all over my Revue if the pulled something like this out for ESPN3!

20. Gutta624

Gutta624 New Member

Agreed. The revue would have me at its knees if it could do this. I hate that different devices each have a feature that the other does not. I love the fact that my wife can use it without switching inputs...easily worth the 99 bucks.