Quantcast

Revue HDCP Issue Comcast Cable Box Possible Tivo Premier Workaround?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by DrunkOnEgo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. DrunkOnEgo

DrunkOnEgo New Member

I just purchased an Onkyo HT-RC460 receiver. My Comcast cable box is a Motorola DCH-3200. I am getting the HDCP issue where I do not get a picture and choppy audio when the Revue is hooked up directly to the new Onkyo receiver. I know there is an optical cable workaround but I would rather run everything through the receiver via HDMI. I have read old threads on here where purchasing a Tivo Premier and getting a CableCard from Comcast will allow me to hook the cable set top box now a Tivo directly to the A/V receiver and get the picture and audio without any HDCP issues. I would like to know if anyone else is using this method. I have found old threads where people found their Tivos were also giving the HDCP error but one guy has posted that the Tivo Premier will get around the HDCP issue. If anyone knows for sure or has used this method please let me know. I would hate to buy a Tivo and still have the HDCP issue. My other option is to try to get a non Motorola set-top box from Comcast. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Get a dct-3412. One of their common dvr's, shouldn't be a problem for them to give you one.

3. DrunkOnEgo

DrunkOnEgo New Member

It appears there are HDCP issues with that box as well. From what I understand any Motorola box will have the issue and Comcast has locked down most of their boxes.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

That's the box I use. No Issues with it. why do you think I suggested it??

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    +1

Btw, Motorola DCH-3200 should also work, however the DCX-3200 (DCX-####) are better models.

You may need to replace all the old HDMI cables with new "High speed HDMI cables"- read this

also, give the following a try:

Good luck :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  6. DrunkOnEgo

DrunkOnEgo New Member

Yeah I am using high speed HDMI cables. Motorola boxes are limited to 2 HDCP handshakes. The Revue states this when you enter any Motorola box and additional information is provided on the Revue troubleshooting web site, a call to customer support netted the same answer. There are a great number of threads about the issue on the forum as well. I have given all the troubleshooting solutions a try besides using HDMI switching which is not something I want to do. Thanks for the help, but still looking for answers with those who have experience with the issue.

7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

You welcome - good luck :)

8. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

So then why don't you try the 3412 and be done with it?

9. Rick2010

Rick2010 New Member

Most ALL Motorola cable boxes only permit two (2) devices to be connected to the HDMI. So, Device 1 will be the TV-- Device 2--? the Revue or your new Onkyo receiver. When I upgraded my receiver to one with HDMI inputs, I had the same problem. It is NOT a handshake issue. I had to use a SEPARATE HDMI input on the TV for the Revue-- a pain the butt for sure-- extra cable to TV and a addition digital sound connection to the receiver.

Many cable companies can provide a different cable box from a different manufacturer even though their standard is the Moto box-- but you need to get to the cable company's "tech" support people to confirm this as many customer service reps will not understand what you are talking about.

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Could you provide a current list of those models you're referring to? (& ISPs)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  11. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Wow!

You guys have Dvrs that allow for two HDMI outputs? Is this w/out switching from one TV to another? Or am I missing something here?

TIA

Carl

12. lschroeder

lschroeder New Member

I had a comcast motorola 6412 phase III with the two (2) device issue. I had to use hdmi 3 all though all the other devices I had were using hdmi 1 through my Onkyo. I also had to use fibre for the audio to the Onkyo. This is just what you said. I smoked my 6412 phase III and it was replace with the DCX-3200. I used my original 6412 phase III hdmi 3 and fibre to Onkyo. All other devices used hdmi 1 for video and audio.

I used the 6412 settings in the Revue for the new DCX-3200. Everything is fine. I tried to rescan the Revue for the DCX-3200 but did not see it listed. Thought I was lucky to have had 6412 first so new Revue 6412 guide works great with my new 3200 box. Has anybody found a listing when scanning the Revue for the 3200? I guess I will not fool with what is currently working! Larry

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  13. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

What Onkyo AVR model? btw.

14. Carlszone

Wow, I can't believe that there are any Cable DVR boxes out there that allows for 2 HDMI outputs. How the heck is this possible? The HDTV is too simple to learn dual HDMI signals. Hell, my units & TVs have to be reminded of the HDMI connection from time to time. My HDTV learned to recognize my HDMI signals after a few attempts. Trying to descramble two HDMI signals on todays basic HDMI platform would be quite a feat.

Yer just asking fer trouble here...

Carl

15. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Carl, they're talking about 2 downstream devices. Not outputs.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Carlszone

LOL!

Thanks

17. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

This Link shows that there is no “two (2) devices limitation issue when those three (3) devices are connected into a single-hdmi-chain,
    (Moto DCX-3400 > Sony GTV > Denon AVR > Sony TV)

So, if you have hdmi connection issue with Onkyo, Revue & Moto box - post more details (it could be “hdmi handshake issue” ;)).

Hope that helps :)

18. DrunkOnEgo

DrunkOnEgo New Member

What in the world are you talking about? Nothing in that entire thread shows anything that refutes what Logitech, Google, Comcast, and Motorola all say themselves about the HDCP issue. We are speaking in plain English here. All four companies themselves say there is an issue and there is no way around it except to acquire one of a very few Motorola boxes that are only available in limited markets. The Revue tells you itself when you hook up a Motorola box via HDMI that it will not work and you have to use the optical out workaround. It is well documented on the Logitech web site as well. Why search around for a meaningless thread that adds nothing to the problem people are having instead of going to the official documentation? You obviously have some knowledge of how to use Google, Comcast and Motorola's tech sites will tell you the same thing about the Motorola boxes that by being HDCP compliant they are limited to 2 devices. This is not rocket science and the problem has been well documented on this forum for years. For anyone who is reading this with the issue in the future with the same issue, IT IS NOT AN HDMI HANDSHAKE ISSUE. Simply check the official documentation and the errors you receive for HDCP vs handshakes and it is self-evident it is not a handshake issue. DO NOT GO BUY NEW HDMI CABLES BECAUSE OF THIS PERSON'S CONSTANT FALSE ADVICE. I have all ready wasted my time and money on the off chance he had an idea of what he was talking about and the four companies and their tech departments were all wrong. Guess who was wrong, the so called "internet expert." This is a HDCP issue and if you have Comcast try contacting them and see if you can get a proper box in your market, I cannot, otherwise there is no workaround the Tivo is limited to 2 devices as well. Google sold it's interests in Motorola in large part because of Comcast's blocking it's Google TV efforts and this was a part of that effort. If you have this issue please do your own research, I came here looking for help and only ran into a couple people who knew much less about the issue than I did think they could provide any advice and effectively kill the thread for a month.

19. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

This Link shows that there is no "two (2) devices limitation issue when those three (3) devices are connected into a single-hdmi-chain,(Comcast Motorola DCX-3400 > Sony Google TV > Denon AVR > Sony TV)

So, if you have hdmi connection issue with Onkyo, Revue & Moto box - post more details (it could be "hdmi handshake issue" ;)).

Hope that helps :)

20. enviable27

enviable27 New Member

I have an Onkyo HT-R990 with a Revue and it works perfectly,with motorola DCX 3510-M. Iam also not using optical audio just hdmi. Hope that helps