Quantcast

Revue:Dish hookup via HDMI

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Fanfoot, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Fanfoot

Fanfoot New Member

So it sounds like Dish and Logitech have worked out a control scheme that works over the same HDMI cable that connects the Revue to the Dish DVR. Allows the Revue to control the DVR to initiate a recording, as well as to query the DVR for the shows it has recorded so they can be included in search. Stuff like that. Simpler to set up and presumably more reliable than the stupid IR blaster control scheme they'll be forced to use with other devices like cable STBs.

I'm wondering how this works. I know that there was some sort of addition to HDMI 1.4 that allows Ethernet over HDMI which sounds like it requires new cables with extra pairs. I presume that this then runs on top of IP over Ethernet. Again, no idea if there are any protocols in this area that are being standardized or if this will for example work between the Sony Google TVs and the Dish boxes. Can Tivo support it if they want to?

Another possibility would be to use HDMI-CEC which seems more likely. No idea what protocols if any are defined over these pins.

2. HamDog

HamDog Member

There was a discussion about this in the middle of another thread. Personally, I don't think control signals are being sent over HDMI, they are being sent through the network. Both the Dish receiver and the Revue box have to be hooked up to a home network. The only way to test this is to unplug the ethernet cable from the Dish receiver and see if the commands can still get to it from the Revue box. I'm betting it won't.

Signals being sent via a home network also makes more sense and makes further integration with other companies (e.g. DirecTV and cable boxes) easier in the future. We'll have to wait and see.

3. Fanfoot

Fanfoot New Member

Looks like Engadget has clarified the position. The Dish box WILL work with the Sony TV the same way the Revue unit does. Over IP over something. Whether its the HDMI cable or your home network.