Quantcast

revue cannot "see" serviio

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by svtfmook, Aug 16, 2011.

1. svtfmook

svtfmook New Member

i have no networking knowledge what so ever. in fact, my network knowledge pretty much covers the extremely difficult task of "plugging ethernet cable into router".

anyhow, i managed to get twonky manager running on my pc, the revue sees it, everything works great.

however, it's not a free program, and before i drop $20, i want to try others. didn't like tversity, mezzmo couldn't display any of the files that were in the shared folders and serviio will not even show up in my list of sources on the revue.

i checked windows firewall and nothing for serviio is blocked. i can see the TM player for twonky when in the serviio console, and serviio shows up in twonky's console, but serviio does not show up in the revue's sources.

am i missing a step with serviio? i pretty much installed it, added the folders i wanted to share, and that was it.

2. floodx

floodx New Member

make sure you bind the servers ip address in the monitor app - below the section where you select the profiles. I missed that step...worked after I put the server's DHCP address in that box

3. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

PlayOn will let you have a 2 week trial as well.

4. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

Why dont you like tversity? It works really well and plays/streams videos to the Revue that the Revue doesnt play natively.

5. svtfmook

svtfmook New Member

i couldn't get it to transcode and it didn't show the box art in the media player like twonky does. i'm trying to find a free media server that will. so far, only twonky can, but i don't want to pay $20 for it lol cheap-o.

i'm going to throw a psu in an older machine that i have and try out running ubuntu and various servers on that too.

as far as the bind ip address, what ip do i use? the machine's ip didn't work. should i use the default gateway? it's all connected via ethernet, i thought dhcp was specific to wifi

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. floodx

floodx New Member

I put in the ip address that my router assigned the server. i.e for me 192.168.XX.XXX

If your running windows 7 you may have to setup the homegroup too. - google it there are some guides out there

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm actually using Twonky because the license came free with my Network Attached Storage (Qnap TS-409 Pro). I'm a little more energy conscious and didn't want to have a PC running 24 hours a day. So, I decided in investing in NAS which did more than just file sharing.

In any case, I realize you're being frugal but have you considered using PlayOn? They are charging a subscription fee or fixed one-time cost to use it, but they are offering a 14-day free trial. You should at least give it a try, since you don't mind running your media server on a PC. It operates as a uPnP server, so your media is currently inaccessible through Logitech and Sony Media Players. However, it also functions as its own web server which is fully functional through the Google TV's Chrome browser. You would access it through gtv.playon.tv which will redirect you back to your home computer. There you'll have a screen which you would be able to navigate through. In addition to being able to watch your movies through the Flash player, you'll also have access to the content which is normally blocked to Google TV, like Hulu, CBS, and SyFy.

$playon.jpg $playon-hulu.jpg

8. svtfmook

svtfmook New Member

i tried playon last night, i was looking into streaming tv, but, the interface seemed "clunky" (lol coming from me who's using the logitech media player) and the scrolling didn't seem to work very well. but, i didn't spend much time with it, i will run it some more to try. right now, i'm setting up my linux box to be the dedicated server for the revue to lighten the load of my main pc.

9. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

That has been my experiance with PlayOn so far as well - my biggest beef is the scrolling and plan on checking out the other options before purchasing anything.

10. svtfmook

svtfmook New Member

well, played around with different linux variants last night

first tried amahi hda and the amahi dlna app. after noticing it was $5, and no way to try it before you buy it, i purchased it with high hopes based on the multitude of positive reviews on it. easy setup, got it running, was able to connect with the revue, i can see and play the movies. worked really well. however, no dvd cover art! (and this is huge for me since this is how my 2 y/o picks out his movies). i have the conf file set to scan the folder for all the different types of jpg's, and it still didn't show. quite upset since i had to pay $5 to find out it didn't work.

removed amahi, installed ubuntu...

serviio, i was able to see and connect, configured it, could play movies, but again... no cover art.

linux twonky, worked fine, shows cover art and all. lol, but it's $20...

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Wait a sec, is the cover art embedded into the files themselves or do they reside in a folder along side your movie files? I seem to remember the old way of using cover art was to copy an image file as "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" along with the audio or video files. However, that can become a hassle if you decide to move things around or throw all of your files into a single folder. The current way is to embed the Cover Art directly into the video's file container along with the audio and video streams.

Since all of my videos are MP4's, I use MetaX which provides a simple interface that allows me to grab cover art from different sites as well as associate various relevant meta tags. You can get it for Windows or you can get the Mac version. Give it a try, it might open up more possibilities for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  12. svtfmook

svtfmook New Member

not all of my movies are mp4's. most are, but i also have a lot of avi's and the ones i've had to convert to work with the revue are mkv. with that said, i have run many metadata scripts to add the meta info to the files it could, plus every movie has a corresponding jpg for the cover, this is how the wdtv works with cover art. so each movie.avi/mp4/mkv has an accompanying movie.jpg. twonky first checks the metadata, then resorts to movie.jpg in the same folder, then looks for folder.jpg for movie art.

i am going to try tvmobili tonight on the linux server. tvmobili also uses the check meta, then movie.jpg, then folder.jpg like twonky does, so i'm hoping it will work. i will also try metax and see if that changes anything on any of the other servers.