Quantcast

Revue 3.1 honeycomb update problems

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by dirwin85, Dec 12, 2011.

1. dirwin85

dirwin85 New Member

Whats going on?

So this morning i finally got the update notification to update to 3.1 so i excitedly hit download and lets do this! everything runs smooth till it gets to the updating controller part (i use the standard keyboard), then it gave me a could not connect to server error, i then hit help and it showed that i had a solid wired connection and connection to the server but no WiFi (which is fine, i have wifi but no reason to set it to run on it).

so i then went to the menu to check out all the new features but it would not let me download any apps, after reading on here i logged out and logged back in with my Google ID, then the apps worked. Then i tried to watch tv and change the volume on my stereo receiver with no luck. I went into settings to try to do the same thing with my directv top-box remove it and add it again so that it would register up with the new OS, and no luck after showing the picture in the side display and hitting next it gave me another cannot connect to server error (while my internet is working perfectly).

so as of now i am able to download apps but have no control over my tv or sound. any help would be greatly appreciated as i have been on hold with Logitech for over an hour and counting now.

so far i have tried
    soft power reset
    restore factory settings (using rear button, not sure if that worked as i was still logged in after the reset)
    remove and rehookup directv box (unable to readd it)
    log out and log in under google id

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. BurstingVeins

BurstingVeins New Member

I probably would have registered eventually anyway, but I did just now just to answer your question. This problem is actually the biggest irritation I have for the Revue and has made it obvious to never buy anything involving networking from Logitech ever again.

All you have to do to get it to work is continually hit retry until it works. Really, that's all you have to do, there's no tricks. Sometimes you get lucky and it only takes a few retries, usually its worse and takes a couple hundred. Sometimes if you back completely out and try again it seems to give it a boost and work better, but usually just keep hitting retry and eventually it will work. I've even tried having both wired and wireless running at the same time in case it was hitting oddities on one of the connections and that didn't change anything. I think what's happening is Logitech screwed up some part of the programming and has network checks timing out too soon or timing out immediately randomly without even trying to connect. It's one thing that I can't believe they didn't fix in the update, because I highly doubt that they would setup a single windows 98 machine on a 56k connection to serve all revue users.

So just hit retry connection until it works.

3. dirwin85

dirwin85 New Member

on the part where i to add the directv topbox?

4. revueInPlay

revueInPlay New Member

@dirwin - what did you do to fix this issue?

I also received an update notice, so followed the instructions and it did update successfully to 3.1 but the controller update failed. It quoted the same reason - wifi not connected ( i have used direct connection). Now I have enabled my wifi connection but I don't know how can I update the controller?

I am able to browse 3.1 interface but some of the features from the keyboard not working - for example selecting any movie which is playing on tv, guide button, channel switching etc. Home button, back button etc is working fine.

5. dirwin85

dirwin85 New Member

revueinplay, i have the exact same problem as you do, and i have not yet found a solution..... let me know on here if you do! i have this same thing posted on the logitech forums but 0 replies there

6. revueInPlay

revueInPlay New Member

I have posted a message there too. Waiting to get any reply from logitech folks. Lot of backlash there by the angry customers

7. dirwin85

dirwin85 New Member

this explains why we had such long wait times to get the update

8. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

heh..indeed..and perhaps the update should have come later to get all of the bugs fixed. :eek:

9. thedude

thedude Member

I installed mine cleanly after a factory reset.

Naturally, this required me to reconfigure the STB and TV, and relink the Google account, but it ensured that there wasn't an issue importing old config to new.

I use the wired connection, no issues so far.

The original Revue software didn't permit both wired and wireless to work at the same time. It was one or the other. Perhaps the two network interfaces are fighting for status within the device? Try enabling just one.

10. dirwin85

dirwin85 New Member

how were you able to do the factory reset? i dont think it worked for me as i did not have to setup any of that stuff again

11. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

this happened to me too, here's what i did to get everything to work finally. first as far as the market apps that's just a time thing, happened to everyone i know. At first it will say they're not compatible and then I think Google's servers finally receive the signal that your account has a revue on it.

As far as the keyboard I had the same issue. I hit retry over and over, but it never went through. Hit cancel and it no longer controlled my cable box. All I did was go into settings un-paired my tivo, went through the setup again and everything is working fine now.

12. dirwin85

dirwin85 New Member

after i did that it would not let me readd my directv box, it tries to connect me to the server and then it says the server is unavailable

13. lafe

lafe New Member

Hopefully someone will respond with a fix. It's quite annoying getting "The server is unavailable" every time you try to assign a device (of which I can no longer do) I wish I didn't have the update, or at least had the option to go back to the previous version. So far, 3.1 update is a fail.

14. RedBank

RedBank New Member

Amen to that...at least give the option. I'm rollin with my Sony box for now...

15. calemr

calemr New Member

I was able to get the "The server is unavailable" to go away by deleting my google account then re-adding it. Now I am also stuck on the no TV control issue...Logitech must have the worst software engineers in the world!!

16. BurstingVeins

BurstingVeins New Member

Any connection error that comes up through doing any kind of setup you just need to hit retry until it goes through, eventually it will go through. If you get a connection error while you're doing normal functions like internet or show searching, then you probably have a real problem with your connection. The official Logitech response to this problem is, 'you're trying to do this during primetime when everyone else is so try again later'. This is of course not true because it happens at all times. The problem is most likely, like I said before, incorrect packets or timeouts being sent and received. The message in connection help saying your wifi is disconnected doesn't mean anything, it's just a basic suggestion. The updates to the Revues took so long for some people because the updates get tapered to devices just like phone companies do, it's to prevent server overload and bad downloads. This process is done by device ID and not by location, which is why people with multiple Revues probably won't see the update on both devices at the same time unless their IDs are within the same range of the current push.

I know it's hard to be patient with this stupidity, but it really will eventually work if you keep hitting retry. My setup of my devices, both on the previous update and this one, took about an hour to two hours total by retrying each time a message came up until it worked. And it does seem to work faster if you retry a bunch of times, then cancel and try again, sort of like it was trying the wrong connection the first time you went through and then it fixed itself faster the second time. Restoring the device does nothing to fix this problem, though oddly enough for the last version it increased the actual speed of the software immensely. Having both wifi and hardwire connected at the same time doesn't improve anything, and I'm pretty sure if you connect both it puts preferential treatment on the wireless connection.

So again, the solution as painful as it might be, make sure you have a few hours to spare and sit in front of the tv going through all the devices you need to set up, hitting retry each time that dreaded box comes up. It will work. Be careful machine gun clicking the retry button area though, I did that and it got through the error and popped up another setup box that made me accidentally cancel the process.

Just be patient.:eek:

17. calemr

calemr New Member

Sooooo, finally I got everything to work! Sweet sweet nectar. Bottom line was to just factory reset and start over!!

To factory reset: Hold down the tiny little pairing button on the back of the Revue for 45-60 seconds (NOT ONLY 15-20 sec). The box will shut-off and just keep holding the button until the googleTV box which looks like a download icon shows up, when in doubt just hold it for a long time. Then you can just go through the setup, annoying I know but at least it works...kinda...I did get the "Server Connect" issue when updating the remote, hit "RETRY" once and it worked the second time. Then everything was good-to-go.

If you don't want to reset to factory, I got the volume working on theTV by simply removing it and adding it back again, but it looked like it wasn't centered on the screen. This is found under settings.

Also, for the market stuff, just remove and add-back your google account. Also, found under settings.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Same here..after factory reset all is fine. Although it should not take this when applying an update. Get this right next time google/logitech!

19. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  20. revueInPlay

revueInPlay New Member

Finally update worked for me successfully. I did a factory reset and then followed the instructions on screen and it updated firmware successfully to 3.1 Now controller works correctly.

Before doing factory reset, I have kept both wired and wireless connection.

All other attempts to fix the controller failed - tried unpairing and adding it again, removing and adding set up box and tv (well it didn't allow me to do either ).

This update was so "beta" and logitech failed completely. This could have been a smooth ride for everyone but ....