Quantcast

Reviews and opinions on the GTV100

Discussion in 'Netgear NeoTV' started by jschall, Feb 26, 2013.

1. jschall

jschall Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The SmallNetBuilder review got my attention, I had read the first review linked before. He doesn't give it a glowing recommendation but does go into great detail. One thing he completely doesn't get, he thinks Google TV is only good for combining a pay TV service with internet TV, primarily pay subscription services.

Utter nonsense, I use Google TV with free OTA and have no pay internet TV monthly subscriptions and find Google TV with OTA is the absolute best solution for watching what I want to watch when I want to watch it at a reasonable cost. His silly rant about not including an HDMI cable is absurd, I don't want to buy another HDMI cable when I purchase a streaming internet TV box, I already have more than I need and if it is included in the box, it must be added to the price. I understand some small percentage of the market wants to pay for an HDMI cable when buying a device like this but I don't think that means everybody should have to.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Here are the Amazon reviews, mostly dreadful, but very few have any idea how to use the device which in my opinion should prevent leaving a review.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Netgear GTV100-100NAS NeoTV Prime with Google TV

As far as the negative reviews claiming not much about the NeoTV Prime is an improvement over the Logitech Revue, I agree, the only improvement I can see is the NeoTV Prime can run the apps exclusive to the ARM based models. Of course that analogy holds for the other inexpensive current Google TV models when compared to the Logitech Revue. I do think the apps requiring the ARM processor makes the current models the most desirable so that improvement is an important one.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Thanks again Catfish for suggesting this forum. All the negative reviews are correct except for minor details like including an HDMI cable. But this unit is really, really bad. I simply can't believe how a unit that looks and feels so good on the big screen can have such awful software. The remote was wonderful until ya try to use the channel & volume buttons. In my lifetime I have never had to send back but one device. Now I have three returns. I've ordered 15 items from Amazon this month alone. The only returns are the GTV units. What is so strange is that I don't want it for the more complicated DLNA or USB features. I only wanted them as an adjunct to my 2nd TV! But I loved the setup. All the streaming apps are there including Sling Player & Avia. The Netflix, Amazon, Crackle & Youtube dedicated buttons were perfectly arranged on the remote. Even the small keyboard I got used to after a few hours. I loved everything about the device itself.

Geeze, I'm actually kinda grief-stricken, LOL! Well, maybe extremely depressed would be more accurate.

Vizio might have to do...

Carl

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. jschall

jschall Member

Here's my review:

The GTV100 froze at several points of the installation procedure. I had to pull/plug power each time. After eventually completing the installation, it froze at the menu screen. Pinhole reset did nothing. Online support could not help. What a waste of money and time. I have requested a return.

7. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Are you connected over wifi? If yes, I would suggest to connect it directly (at least for the installation) to a router and restart the router before the install. If it help to start the device then go under setting and do a factory reset. If you're device is alreafy wired, try factory reset... And finally if you don't like wasting your time on playing with beta product, just return it.

Sorry

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  8. Carlszone

Hi

I doubt that would help. I did all the above & more. But, unfortunately, this is only the beginning of sorrows for Neo Prime users. I reentered my channel line-up 10 times. If it were not for my being able to use the Logitech Revue's editing screen this would have been a very tedious task. I have over 100 channels. The HD & Analog channels make it particularly difficult to edit channels. Ya have to distinguish between the premium channels that are HD & the ones that aren't. Even so, coming back to a device after a few hours to find yer entire line-up gone is enough to justify a return of this unit. I'm still waiting for my return label.

Best advice, return it immediately...

Carl

9. 98clru

98clru New Member

Posted my experience with the Neo on amazon and Best Buy. You can read my extensive reviews there, they are basically the same, the amazon I posted 2nd so I'd read that if only reading one, added a few points I had forgotten for BB. In a nutshell, more stable for web video than my Logitech Revue (much more ram probably the big reason for that, go to setting > storage and the neo is showing total 2.00 gb). If it does crash so far a power button push on the remote has fixed, review I need to get up and pull the plug. That's pretty large, my revue is 520 mb.

I like the remote design overall, sometimes the touchpad stops responding but the cursor / enter on the KB works fine, so No big deal. If I'm impatient a battery pull fixed it. No problem with bluetooth, many of those complaints may be from interference or earlier firmware. Can't get the remote to adjust my channel on tivo and volume on tv. Revue has no problem with that. Can't get PrimeTime to populate, no prob with Revue. NO DVR button on remote. Might be part of the problem with the channel change/volume change issue I mentioned despite the fact there is programming info for it and it does work, but set up tv and it loses dvr...

Avia DLNA worked fine for pulling video off my usb thumbdrive and via picassa via web. Will try with a portable usb hard drive, may be worth it for that alone as I went off cable / OTA only 4 years ago.

Over all I like it, hope that netgear can get it's act together via updates. I paid a little over $100 with reward points via best buy and being premier silver status I get 60 day refund, so I'll give it a bit of time. I have open hdmi ports and extra cables hanging around (they have gotten cheap if you look around) so the pass thru is not that big a deal but irritating plus need another remote which I have too many now. I think at $140 it's about $50 overpriced. Love my Revue but it's crashing more than I 'd like with webvideos and I doubt there will be any more updates. And of course the roku3 just came out and my 1st gen roku does all I really need from GTV but can run Hulu. Using the android remote makes a roku almost as easy as the full keyboard remotes which are a major reason for my GTV efforts.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Carlszone

I finally got around to printing out & returning the Neo Prime. Your problem w/the controlling volume & channels from the remote is very similar to mine. But I did get the channel lineup & my DVR to set up eventually. But then I would go out & the whole lineup would be gone. Inputting over 100 channels each time can be very annoying. I never could get it to accept my TV altho it was listed.

Got a call last night from the Netgear Customer Service tech I spoke w/about the problems. Said he was doing a follow up. Told him I sent it back that very day. He didn't seem surprised. More like relieved to be able to closeout the order. Said there would be improvements. W/only 60 days of free support and no dedicated Neo techs I highly doubt the problems rank very high on their agenda.

Sure wasn't gonna stick around til my return date expired...

Carl

11. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

The NeoTV beats out the Costar as the worse GTV ever!