Quantcast

Revamped Version Of Google TV ?

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Google Will Reveal A Revamped Version Of Google TV Soon

Matt Rosoff | Apr. 29, 2011

The first version of Google TV may be a dud, but the company is working on the next version and could show it off at its I/O conference next month. An industry source says the next version of Google TV has a lot more than today's version for three main reasons:

• [*]Performance. It will use a faster chip set.

• [*]Better user experience.

• Android apps.

Google has already said it will soon be possible to run Android apps on Google TV.

This source believes that Google will build a TV-specific version of the next-version-Android Market right into the Google TV interface, giving developers a lot of incentive to build apps for it.
    More generally, this person thinks that Android is slated for an explosion of new video content and apps, driven in part by the new crop of Android tablets as well as the merging of Android into Google TV.

Maybe. But history suggests that Google will have an uphill battle getting consumers to add an extra device to their TV just to get more interactivity. From Web TV through Apple TV and Google TV, every attempt to make TVs more like computers has failed to take off.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I own a Logitech Revue and this talk of a new Google TV with a faster chip concerns me a bit. Will the Revue still fully be supported? I'm wondering if this faster chip will be an Intel chip or could it be an Arm chip? At any rate I think it would be fair if Google, Logitech and Sony offer us early 'beta testers' (that helped them improve the product) some kind of coupon and/or rebate if want to upgrade to the new version with the faster chip. It's only been 3 months since I purchased my Revue.

3. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

It will work on the revue. When they say new version they mean a new version of the software .

4. Rickaren

Yes this is the first report I have seen and posted that said a faster chip would be used. Could this be the reason for the just announced list price drop? Are they talking about Google TV installed in new "Smart TVs" only? Lots of questions, so we will just ALL have to wait for the I/O conference next month. Stay tuned and I will post anything I find before that date that gives us a hint as to were present owners are in this "Revamping" of Google TV.

Still could be good news coming!

5. Rickaren

Will a cheaper chip set make our present Google TV units obsolete?

6. Rickaren

Google TV Version 2 In Production

03/05/2011

The first version of Google TV was a total dud leaving companies like Sony and Logitech with warehouses full of useless hardware. Now Google is having another crack at trying to deliver a telly that will run a new generation of Android apps and YouTube movies.

The new version, according to industry sources is faster, after Google rewrote the code for a new chipset which is believed to have been developed by Intel.

The new version will also allow users to download Android apps direct t to the TV from a new Android Market that is being designed specifically for a large screen TV.

In most cases apps for Smartphones and Android tablets are going to have to be rewritten to facilitate delivery to a larger screen. Google also wants to use the store to deliver movies and TV shows.

Continued Here:

7. CatfishRivers

Rickaren there appears to be conflicting rumors about this supposed new hardware for Google TV. This article states Google TV version 2.0 is already in production and will use a new Intel chip. From the article: "The new version, according to industry sources is faster, after Google rewrote the code for a new chipset which is believed to have been developed by Intel. Google TV Version 2 In Production - Smarthouse

8. Rickaren

Yes there are a lot of rumors out there for now that hopefully will be answered very soon. I just try and post what I find interesting ,and I'm sure one of them will be correct!

I still question if a cheaper chip set that might be faster would not have some trade-offs to our original first generation Google TV chips. Sometime cheaper is NOT better. Again, we may all know shortly.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  9. galfert

galfert Active Member

There could be some confusion of this new version of Google TV 2.0 and why it runs faster. I speculate that there isn't any new hardware, but rather the new software version of Google TV runs faster on the same new/current chipset from Intel (Atom). Meaning the currently used Intel Atom chipset is the new chipset from Intel. Remember Google TV came out in Oct 2010....is that to be considered an old chipset already???

Google TV runs on a branch of Android 2.1. When Android 2.2 came out for phones it offered better performance on the same hardware. And the same can be said for Android 2.3. And Android 3.0 for tablets is the first to truly exploit multi-core and hardware acceleration for graphics.

My Logitech Revue feels sluggish at times and I wouldn't mind a hardware refresh and sell my current Revue. But I bought in to this hardware and being promised the App Market in Spring 2011. I would be a bit disappointed if with the new App Market announcement also came an announcement of newer hardware. I was hoping that the Revue would find a moment in time to shine to its true potential without being rivaled by newer hardware. So I hope we get just the App Market and then maybe later in the year toward the Holiday Season or at least by Oct 2011 then see new hardware emerge.

Google only makes software and they make it fast. And that is a good thing. But then need to work closer with their hardware partners so that they don't cannibalize their own products. Case in point is the rumor of the successor to the HTC Sensation that will incorporate NFC. The HTC Sensation isn't even released for sale yet and there is already talk of it being obsolete before it goes for sale. There is always going to be something better around the corner ...and if you never buy in then you'll never have anything. But customers need to feel that their investment lasts and isn't immediately obsolete. I think 1 year product life cycle might be a bit long....and so a 6 to 9 month life cycle might be better for early adopters and also to help those people whom are waiting for the next best thing to not have to wait too long before buying in....but in this case current hardware for Google TV hasn't gotten a chance to shine and those that invested in it should get a least a few months finally enjoy their investment without feeling like they have outdated crap that never really worked.

10. Rickaren

Google TV Aims to Turn the Channel With New Release Later This Year

by Ina Fried
    May 4, 2011

Google TV may not have won over many critics or fans with its first season, but Google still thinks it could be a long-term hit.

Before renewing the product for another season, though, Google is making a number of changes to the script. In addition to trying to make it more approachable, the company is hoping to change the way Google TV is thought of in the market. Initially, many people saw the product as a potential way to get around the big TV providers by using Web-based services. However, Hulu and other mainstream Web video services quickly blocked access via Google TV.

[​IMG]
    This time around, Google TV will be pitched more clearly as something that can add to a traditional TV experience, both through a wave of new applications and by delivering video that even the broadest satellite or cable package doesn’t have.

Google TV debuted last year as an option on certain Sony TVs and Blu-Ray players as well as via a set-top box from Logitech. However, it was met with disappointing sales and ]lackluster reviews. Logitech, for example, said it sold just $5 million worth of Google TV products last quarter, far less than it was expecting.

But Google sees the marriage of Internet and the television as in its early days. And it imagines the first version of Google TV not unlike the G1, the first Android phone. While the phone offered hints at what Google’s phone would eventually become, it was itself not much to look at and more than a little clunky. Over time, of course, Android became a major force in the smartphone business.

The first glimmers of the new TV will come next week at the Google I/O conference, where Google will present a session for developers on creating TV-friendly Android apps. However, the next version of Google TV and the TV-centric version of the Android Market won’t be announced until some time in the coming months, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The goal, sources said, is to have a new version of Google TV ready at least in time for this year’s holiday season. The company is bringing on additional hardware partners, including Samsung and Vizio. Business Insider reported that new hardware will be based on faster chips, although sources told Mobilized that existing Google TV models should also be upgradeable to the new software.

Google is not alone in chasing this Internet-centered view of TV, however. Apple has made the latest version of Apple TV based on Apple’s iOS. Although today’s version doesn’t support running third-party apps, the company has certainly laid the groundwork architecturally to head in that direction. Microsoft, meanwhile, is attacking the living room both by adding entertainment features to its Xbox 360 and by making its Mediaroom IPTV platform more app friendly.

Nor is this the first go-around at this. The dream of marrying TV and the Internet has been around since before the dot-com bubble with companies like WebTV and Wink all chasing the goal of bringing interactivity to the television.

11. CatfishRivers

Thanks for posting that Rickaren. Based on that article it would seem as though the original Google TV products from Sony and Logitech will still be supported. The article also stated the new hardware will come around the Holiday season. That part is good. However what concerned me a bit was that the article mentioned the 'new version' of Google TV won't be available until the coming months. I hope that doesn't mean that we will still have to wait another few months for the android market? I can imagine a lot of current Google TV owners will become very restless if the app market isn't released at the Google I/O conference.

12. CatfishRivers

This article (and another one that I read) state Google TV 2.0 is coming later in the year - (and Google states "at least by the Holidays"). It's looking like the app market will come with Google TV 2.0 much later than the Google conference. In fact this article states we might catch a brief glimpse of Google TV 2.0 at the conference - but don't expect any major announcements much less any major upgrades. This is very disappointing to me as Google had previously promised the app market "early this year". Near the holidays could mean around Nov./Dec. -:( Google TV 2.0: Honeycomb, ARM & Android Market: Online Video News «

Thanks CatfishRivers[​IMG]

Since I came here to Post this article I just added it to your Post

Rick

Google TV 2.0: Honeycomb, ARM & Android Market

May. 5, 2011

[​IMG]

The next iteration of Google TV will be based on Honeycomb, the most recent version of Google’s Android operating system, NewTeeVee has learned from sources close to the project.

Developers attending the Google I/O conference in San Francisco next week may be able to catch a first glimpse of Google TV 2.0, but there won’t be any big announcements, and the overhauled platform won’t be released until later this year.

Google TV was introduced with much fanfare a year ago at Google I/O. However, there were early indicators that conquering the living room might be more challenging than the company had anticipated. The keynote that was supposed to show off Google’s vision of combining the web and TV content was plagued with technical problems, and Google executives couldn’t exactly say at the time whether content from the popular Hulu broadcast TV service would be available on the device.

When Google TV devices from Sony and Logitech were finally introduced in fall, the problems continued. Not only was Hulu not available, but virtually all major broadcast networks blocked access to their web content on the device as well. Most reviewers deemed Google TV too complicated, and consumer interest was lukewarm at best. Recently, Logitech reported that it only sold $5 million worth of Google TV hardware[/URL] in the first three months of this year

Google now wants to address these problems with a completely revamped version that will offer a variety of tweaks to make content easier to find and the devices cheaper. For example, Google TV 2.0 will have access to the Android Market, making it possible for users to install applications much like they can today on Android phones. Apps that bring additional services and content to

Google TV devices could be crucial to make the case for Google’s vision of its TV platform.
    Company representatives have long said that Google TV is not about replacing, but adding additional content and functionality to cable and other traditional TV services.

The company is also aiming to make Google TV devices cheaper by adding support for additional chip sets. The first generation of Google TV devices exclusively used Intel processors, which had some consumer electronics manufacturers complain about high costs. The next version of Google TV will almost certainly also run on devices with ARM-based processors, which should make it possible to produce significantly cheaper devices.

Using the Honeycomb version of the Android operating system seems to be the final piece of the puzzle in Google’s attempts to give its TV platform a fresh start. The operating system has up until now only been available on select Android tablets. Google hasn’t released the Honeycomb source code yet and hasn’t announced any smart phones running Honeycomb yet either, with company representatives saying that the platform was initially optimized for tablets only.

However, many of the key features of Honeycomb could also benefit Google TV. The OS utilizes a more powerful graphics engine for 3-D animations, something that could come in handy for developers trying to make their apps visually compelling on a TV screen. Honeycomb’s emphasis on smarter widgets also comes in handy on TV devices, and its handling of application fragments could help to combine information presented by apps and live TV signals in a more compelling way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  13. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

so for now it seems i just spent a bunch of loot to NOT watch Netflix on my Wii.

Pretty gutted, tbh.

14. galfert

galfert Active Member

That is all just fine regarding Google TV 2.0 and waiting for the holidays for it. But the App Market needs to be delivered as promised Spring 2011. If not then this is total BS.

15. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

At least it will only be a couple of days till we find out how much longer we get to wait

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

16. harley man

harley man New Member

I hope in the next few they blow lid off this gtv and show us who have been. Here from the start that it's the real deal.

17. StevenB

StevenB New Member

So I haven't necessarily been keeping up this past month, but last I read about the app market, the dev conference wasn't even going to be till july this year, which put me under the impression that the app market wasn't going to be available at least till then!