Quantcast

Retiring the NSZ-GS7

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by googlethis, Feb 5, 2014.

1. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Well I finally got tired of the lip sync issues in Netflix with my NSZ-GS7 Google TV box. The Apple TV upstairs never has that issue. I decided to try the Roku 3 since it was $10 off at BestBuy and the verdict is I love it.
    I love having the profiles in Netflix now and also no lip sync problems. The interface is really nice too.
    I love all the useful channels on the Roku and HBO Go works too. I got the Lifetime, History and A&E channels working even tough I have Directv and when you go online to authorize the Roku for it the don't list Directv as a provider. I found out that if you select that you are authorizing an xbox instead of he roku then Directv is listed and you can select it and get the channels to work.

Anyways, I'll probably check out theNSZ-GS7 again some day if it gets the update but in the meantime I am loving the Roku and enjoying Netflix again.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Roku is a great simple smart TV box, I like mine but never use them for Netflix, I like a keyboard to search. I was not aware of an inherent Google TV lip sync problem with Netflix, I sure don't have that with mine and like you wouldn't use them for Netflix if I did.

3. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Yea, I gotta get use to not having a keyboard now. I also miss the Youtube interface on the google box since I was so use to it. Also the new Netflix interface doesn't have a play from beginning button anymore which isn't a huge deal but would be nice to have instead of having to rewind.

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

I use the Netflix app from the GS7 box, and it has always worked perfectly, and it has a "Play From Beginning" feature. The problems mentioned can't be inherent to the GS7 box.

5. googlethis

googlethis New Member

The only problem I mentioned with my GS7 was the lip sync problem in Netflix and I never said it was inherent to all GS7 boxes but it sure happened on mine all the time. I thought the problem was with Netflix for a long time but the Apple TV upstairs never had the same problem. The Roku has been perfect in that regard so far and it is so nice watching Netflix and not having to feel like we are watching an old kung fu movie.

Yes the GS7 Netflix interface does have the play from beginning option and as I said I do miss it. The new Netflix interface I was speaking about not having it is the brand new and latest Netflix interface on the Roku which I feel is superior to the Google Netflix interface (except of course it doesn't have the play from beginning feature)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I get the same on my GS-7. But it is random. Sometimes it is in sync & other times there is a definite lag. I don't get it on my PC so I'm thinking it may be a router/ISP problem. At one time a lot of media content was out of sync. I usually reboot both my modem & my GS-7 and that seemed to work. Btw, it also happened occasionally when I had a Cox DVR connected. And I wouldn't recommend adjusting the audio syncing on the box as this will mess up everything else that plays normally. I'm trying to remember if I had the same problem on the Revue but can't recall.

7. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Rebooting our GS7 never helped. It was odd, if you continued to watch whatever you were watching then maybe a quarter to halfway through whatever show you were watching then it would finally catch up and the lip synch issue would resolve itself.
    The one show I can remember it always happening, no matter what, was the first episode of The Walking Dead. That was the first show I tested on the the Roku and it played fine.

8. Travel

Travel Active Member

The reports from those with Chromecast seem to be very positive with regard to the streaming quality of Netflix.

Season 2 of "House of Cards" starts February 14th on Netflix. All episodes available at once.

• Like Like x 2
  9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that... thanks for the info.

10. ChrisG8

I haven't watched "House of Cards" yet and don't know if the entire first season was available when it premiered last year or if an episode at a time was released until all episodes were available. I do know when I subscribed to Netflix late last year, all first season episodes were available to me. I would expect like any series on traditional TV, the episodes will be made available periodically, most often weekly, until all have made available. If the Netflix model is release an entire season instantly, I will be surprised.

11. ChrisG8

I do understand that TV series rights acquired by Netflix after broadcast on traditional TV sources, OTA and pay TV, might be made available in multiple episode packages. TV productions funded by Netflix ahead of time are not likely to be handled in the same manner unless I miss my guess.

This is way off the thread topic of course.

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

Netflix produces the "House of Cards" series and they release all episodes all at once per season. They released all episodes of season 1, all at once, and they're releasing all episodes of season 2, all at once. It's an innovative concept and Netflix advertises the fact that they provide all episodes all at once. A little research would have revealed this fact to you.

At the end of the Netflix official trailer it states for season 2: "All episodes available February 14th."

I watched "House of Cards "season 1 from the day it was available on Netflix, and all episodes for that season were loaded, ilsted and ready to view.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  13. ChrisG8

It is a new concept and I wasn't aware Netflix did this since I haven't yet watched any of the Netflix original series although I plan to watch this one and probably a couple of others soon. I think Netflix is making a mistake from a business perspective and an overwhelming majority of new TV programming will not be released in this manner but it isn't a critical mistake. The traditional method of releasing a new episode each week will remain the norm.

The Netflix method means spoilers will be posted and accidentally seen or heard at the water cooler or talk show before many have a chance to get involved in the story line. The hype surrounding the next episode for many won't happen and if a series or season ending episode is a disappointment, some won't even bother as a result of that news. The great series like Sopranos, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad benefit(ed) from that anticipation each week and fans must maintain an ongoing subscription to keep up. If House of Cards generates that kind of interest, it won't generate many long term subscriptions, a free trial catches the entire season, in this case the entire first two seasons the day of first episode of the second season release. I don't know that Netflix original series will ever be a driving force for subscriptions but that must be the hope and I think this means it won't happen.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  14. Carlszone

I disagree, Chris...

The series is so well done, it will not need hype & the traditional cliffhanger approach. As for folks spilling the beans, I doubt that will happen often. When I'm around other viewers the first question asked after whether I follow the show is always, "which episodes have you watched?" Then they discuss the plot leading up to the next episode I'm watching. People have a strange way of acting loyal to shows they enjoy. If they like it enough they will not want to spoil it for someone else.

As far as network TV is concerned, the overuse of any device like the cliffhanger becomes mostly annoying. Watching CNN or my local news trying to find out a breaking story can be very frustrating when they say, "More at 10," when it is 6 o'clock. Or that other device where they say the story is coming up after the break only to spend the next 15 min on other stories and finally get to the story of interest right before the next break.

The Netflix approach is new & refreshing...

Carl

15. Carlszone

Btw, I was just watching live tennis on ESPN 3. They showed a commercial for an Amazon produced movie. So there is a platform for advertising for what they are now calling Digital Stores. Besides Netflix sends out personalized ads to all subscribers. I was in this forums when I got the notice that a new season would be available and was able to click on it and add it to my queue.

16. ChrisG8

I think Netflix is a terrific service, if the original series turn out to be terrific as well, it will likely be a long term subscription for me eventually. Right now after 5 months of Netflix, I plan to end it in a few days when my month is up and start a Hulu Plus free trial, then an Amazon Prime free trial. I already know I like all three services but will decide which to keep after finishing the trial periods. I expect to go back to Netflix and stay with it after exhausting the free trials but I could change my mind. I don't know anything about the Amazon original programming but I have seen there are a few series being produced for that service also.

17. Carlszone

I always use the gift certificate to purchase a yearly subscription for Netflix through PayPal. My Amazon Prime just expired this month & I have no intention of renewing it. Amazon Prime is too disorganized for me. It's too hard to follow series esp when only certain seasons are free.

But back to the topic... Has anyone noticed that since Netflix's last upgrade the audio will continue while the picture will freeze for a few seconds and then fast forward to catch up. At first I thought it was my DSL. But I've switched back to Cox's Preferred and it is still happening. I've also noticed occasions where I get only a green screen w/no picture or audio. This happens on both the website (Silver Light)and the app (Flash).

18. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Another cool feature about the new Netflix on the Roku 3 is that at the end of a movie when the credits start to roll, it will shrink the movie up into the upper left corner and show you some recommendations on the rest of the screen and give you a chance to rate the movie you just watched.

19. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

it might be the hdmi cable. i just got couple of the new Apple HDMI cables to try, they seem HQ .... what is the topic btw? ;)

20. Carlszone

Lol! Hell if I can remember. But a great thread, nevertheless, if the moderators will remain generous. I luv Netflix, while I did enjoy Amazon Prime. But cost is everything as we move on into an internet everything type of world as far as media & entertainment is concerned. I'll contact Netflix about these problems I'm having. Lol, it can't be a HDMI problem as I'm still using my PC. I was just curious if folks on the GS-7/8 were having the same video/audio weirdness.

I really need to buy a new HDTV but finances keep me stuck on my monitor which doesn't have HDMI ports.

Carl