Quantcast

Request for apps "Podcasts" and "Spotlight"

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by IcyFever, Nov 6, 2012.

1. IcyFever

IcyFever New Member

Hey Guys,

New member here, just received my Sony NSZ-GS7 and set it up last night. Loving the device so far, but I seem to be missing these two default apps which are listed on google tv's webpage as being part of the software. I know these were available on the GT1 as well as the Logitech Revue, I'm not sure if they were on the Vizio Co-Star or not. Can anyone provide the apk's for these apps? The gtvhacker dropbox account seems to no longer be available, are there any other software dumps available like this?

I know there might be alternatives to these apps such as DoggCatcher but I'd really like to try these out.

Thanks

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. Have you tried looking in your "all apps" drawer?

On my Logitech Revue - the GTV podcast app and GTV Spotlight are located in the all apps drawer.

The GTV Spotlight is actually a web page viewed with Chrome. Here's the link:

http://www.google.com/tv/spotlight-gallery.html

The GTV Spotlight icon in the all apps drawer is just a bookmark (link) to the Spotlight URL (that I posted above).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. IcyFever

IcyFever New Member

Hey CatfishRivers, thanks for the quick reply.

Neither of the apps are listed under "all apps", I even tried the search option to see if I could find them that way. I did try the link you just provided and was able to add it to my "all apps" folder, it just has a google bookmark icon, is there any way to change this if I want to book mark several sites and not want the same icon?

Is there anywhere I can find the default app apk's to download? Is there any chance you might be able to provide me with these 2 apks?

Thanks again, really enjoying this device so far.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sorry the GTV podcast is one of those apps that that came pre-installed on my Revue - and there is no way to delete it or send you an apk. It's also not available in the Google Play Store.

Here is a link to a help article about the GTV podcast help directly from the Google TV support web site:

Podcasts - Google TV Help

As you can see from the article they claim it is available in the All Apps section of Google TV devices. They also give instructions for how to enable podcasts on your Google searches. I will mention that I can also locate my podcast app by going to settings on my Revue - then "manage applications" and I can see the podcast app listed there. By the way I'm on the previous 3.1 OS update - so I'm not sure if that may be causing a difference compared to your experiences with it.

Since I don't have a Sony NSZ-ZS7 to test this with - hopefully somebody else with that device can chime in and offer you further guidance.

I believe something like the "LauncherPro" app from Google Play store can let you customize your home-screen with different widgets.

5. IcyFever

IcyFever New Member

Thanks anyways for the support, I did try Manage Applications aswell as the search and neither populate it. On top of that if I click a podcast link in the browser it tells me that I don't have any application to launch it. It must not be a feature on the Sony, I'll see if I can find some other way to extract the app from a firmware update on one of the other Google TV's around. I wish the gtvhacker site was up, there are a few apps I'd like to get my hands on - like the OnLive Viewer.

Thanks again!

6. brc911

brc911 New Member

I was able to get the podcasts app on my new sony google tv box.... I downloaded an APK extractor app on my android phone (I can't post a link due to not posting enough on this forum - the extractor app I use is called APK Extractor, and the creator of the app is Kim Heeseok), then sent the extractor app to my old logitech revue via Dropbox.... once I got the apk extractor on the revue, I simply extracted and sent the podcast apk to the dropbox account, logged in on dropbox on the sony, and installed the podcast app....I use it daily with no problems

7. brc911

brc911 New Member

I tried to do the same thing with the onlive viewer and it didn't work :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  8. IcyFever

IcyFever New Member

Fantastic! Any chance you can upload the apk to mediafire or share it out on dropbox so I can download it? It would be much appreciated, I've looked everywhere for this app and being in Canada I don't have access to the other Google TV devices out there to extract it. Since you can't post links you can spell out the link like this "google dot com".

Thanks! Its great news knowing that this is even possible to do, if you can grab the "Spotlight" app at the same time it would be appreciated.

9. brc911

brc911 New Member

try the apk listed about halfway down on this page, http : // forum dot xda-developers dot com backslash showthread dot php?t=1336148 its the same that is listed on my dropbox account

com dot google dot android dot apps dot listen dot apk

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. brc911

brc911 New Member

spotlight gallery:

www dot google dot com backslash tv backslash spotlight-gallery dot html

also check out - gtv dot streamfree dot tv - it's another site similar to the spotlight webpage

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  11. IcyFever

IcyFever New Member

Thanks, I was able to side load the application but it doesn't seem to be the same application as listed here

support dot google dot com / googletv / bin / answer dot py?hl=en&answer=1678676

I tried to add a video podcast and it told me the app only supported audio.

Thanks