Quantcast

Request - anyone who has, or has used. Both the Sony nsz-gs7 and the Vizio co-star

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by Silasrye, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Silasrye

Silasrye New Member

Would you please post a short comparative review? I think the Sony remote is probably a bit better, but wonder about performance differences. Does anyone know if both devices use same processor and ram?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the Ram - but I know they are both supposed to have the same Marvell Armada 1500 processor. Another difference would be the non-GTV manufacturer specific apps that Sony and Vizio get from their respective set-ups. For instance Vizio has what's called "Via-Plus" apps on their smart TVs. I believe some of those will be available on the Co-Star along with the GTV apps. Also the Sony box uses the standard GTV user interface - while the Vizio box uses a customized skin.

Also the Sony box has 2 USB ports compared to only 1 USB port on the Vizio box. The Sony box also has optical audio out (not available on Vizio box).

The Vizio box comes with the OnLive gaming platform pre-installed. The Sony box doesn't currently have OnLive - but there is supposed to be an OnLive app coming to Google Play store soon for Google TV users - so supposedly that will work with the Sony box.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  3. Silasrye

Silasrye New Member

Okay, I didn't keep the co-star long, and only played with it for about 2 hours. With the number of updates the co-star has gotten it wouldn't be fair for me to compare some of the performance anyhow.

However, hardware wise, the built in ir blaster is a big advantage for controlling other components without requiring aiming the remote, and better support using Mobile remote apps.

The clickable touch pad is much preferred to me, it is easier to accurately click than to tap.

The keyboard back light on Sony is nice, but more importantly, a back button and dedicated number keys on the same side make it so much more usable. I also prefer the design, and find the layout and form factor to be more comfortable.

I don't know if that is enough to warrant 2x the price. But I didn't like the costar even at $100.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

Silasrye - your hands on thoughts are exactly what my hands on only with the Sony Box impressed upon me when I played with it for 10min. at a dept store. Not that the Vizio is not a quality product it just appears to me that Sony has a premium product that for some will be worth the extra cost.

Deal breakers for me on the Sony Box is a lac of support for a TV and Movies App in Canada and the fact that some have reported it does not work with a WD Passport ext. hard drive.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. howpilot

howpilot New Member

Just getting into my Sony nsz This thing needs something called a MANUAl, not a lame guide. For me whom is not a techy, for the love of me I cannot understand the thing. Nowhere does it explain how I am supposed to download internet video. Am I supposed to BUY SOME APPS?????? So far I have managed to connect to my network, surf the internet, watch the included content such as motor trend and crackle. I know there is a lot more in here but the "GUIDE" is just plain lame.

6. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  7. howpilot

howpilot New Member

Now I know they look really cool, and for whatever reason I now know how to take one apart. I'm fairly sure that would void warranty.

Ok can I hook up an external hard drive and watch something I have stored????? Do I have to continue to download and save something like my Sons Of Anarchy from one of the "black sites" then take my USB sticks to this box to watch them on my TV???? There is no way to load most of the Video player apps. Most come up with this app not compatible with your device. I'm in Canada and some of the included apps are banned by our Big Brother Government. When or where can I go to get a full how to manual, not just a vague, guide aimed at the Tech savvy?

8. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Here are some answers that might help:

1) Solutions for accessing content on an External Hard Drive
    - Personally I prefer to have my content on a Media Server and then use one of the many apps available for playing the content over the network.
    a) DLNA solution - You can use an app like Avia which can be downloaded from the Play Store to play content that is stored on your Media server. There are many choices for Media Server apps that can run on your PC. The benefit of some of the Media server apps is the ability to transcode content into a format that is supported by the NSZ-GS7. Windows 7 and 8 come with Windows Media Player which has the ability to be setup as a DLNA Media server. There is a lot of discussion about this on the forum.
    b) Plex - the NSZ-GS7 come preinstalled with Plex it is also an app like Avia that can be used to play content stored on your serrver. You will need to go to the Plex site and install the Plex Media Server. Then you will need to setup the folders the media server accesses on the server. Plex also provides the ability to setup and access various internet channels.
    c) Connect the hard drive directly to one of the USB ports on the NSZ-GS7, issues with this are: the NSZ-GS7 follows the USB2.0 spec and can only support 500mA, many HDD's exceed this limit and can be either be connected by a Ycable to both ports or a powered hub; the content on the HDD must be in a format that the NSZ-GS7 supports.

2) The Manual is online and available
    - This can be found in the "All apps" it is called the "Help Guide"

BTW above the first video there was a link that also pointed out some of the benefits.

BR, Paul from Sony

• Like Like x 2
  9. howpilot

howpilot New Member

Well some body got it right. I just spent about 2 hours trying to get PLEX up and running as Avia is goofy and stalls out after 2 seconds of play. Plex is indeed in my apps but talks about hosts??? Servers??? BLAh BLAH BLAH. Then magically pops up a message It reads...."What a pain Why not join the cool kids and use myPlex instedad Upgrade your server to 0.9.5 or higher then log onto your myplex account from all your seervers and clients. Leave behind the need to configure userids, passwords and port forwarding.

BY THE WAY PAUL when I try to add a video thingamajiggy like MXplayer, diceplayer,MoboPlayer or VPlayer which are all "recommended by" things like TV Portal each and every one says they are not supported by my Sony. Am I just floating in a sea of stupidity here.

As I have stated the USER GUIDE is vague and only useful for those who understand this brave new world. Hey guy I'm 61 next month. I'M LOST HERE

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

Wow man, I hate to bumb your trip but this is so off topic for this tread that I think you are lost in space, lol! Why not try posting this in a plex thread instead of a let's compare Vizio to Sony box thread?

11. howpilot

howpilot New Member

But I was just looking for anyone anywhere that can tell me how to use the SONY I felt if somebody could compare the two someone could direct me as to how to make the Sony WORK. Final question then does Plex even work in Canada? I've been trying all day to set Plex up and all I get is Plex is unavaliable

12. chopper

chopper Active Member

13. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Plex is probably unavailable because you have to install the plex media server on your computer. Once it is installed, your computer will stream the content from the net to your google tv.

You can get plex media server at Get Plex!
    Make sure you have flash and silverlight installed if you use a windows computer.

14. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Regarding Plex:

- use a static ip to avoid the client on the Sony not being able to find the server. I mean static on both client and server.

- you must set up the Plex Media Server on either a Mac, Windows PC, Linux PC or a NAS. It also acts as a DLNA server.

Must buy video app: ViMu

This can play your content directly off an smb share or from a DLNA server such as Plex. It makes for a very good Plex client with metadata. Of course it is much more.

- there is another Plex client called Serenity which is new but very promising. Also, PlexPass members have access to a beta Plex which works on both GTV and Android.

philip

• Like Like x 2