Quantcast

Report: Amazon Is Gearing Up To Add Free Streaming Music To Prime

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 27, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Report: Amazon Is Gearing Up to Add Free Streaming Music to Prime (click for full article)

by Mario Aguilar - Feb. 27, 2014

-- Re/code reports the claims of industry sources who say Amazon is in talks to create a streaming music service that it would bundle with Prime subscriptions. The report makes a lot of sense, and if true, it would make Amazon Prime and even better deal than it already is. Think how amazing that would be!

According to the unconfirmed report, Amazon has been talking to labels for several months about getting the rights to music catalogs so it can launch a Spotify-like service.

See more at: http://gizmodo.com/report-amazon-is-gearing-up-to-add-a-streaming-music-s-1532828948

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. ericd

ericd Active Member

I was all prepared to let my Amazon Prime account die instead of renewing it, this might make me change my mind. One of Prime's big selling points for me was the free 2 day shipping but here lately I've been getting quite a bit of Prime shipments being sent by Fed-Ex smart post (which really stinks). A guaranteed 2 day shipment can quickly turn into a 5-6 day debacle when you throw the USPS into the mix.

Prime's streaming service and app work pretty good but there's too much overlap between Prime and Netflix. Netflix also has superior picture quality and is just easier to navigate and find content I want to watch. I do like Amazon's one-time a year payment method. If it was a monthly charge, I'd have probably opted out a long time ago.

If Amazon adds music streaming, does away with smart post and adds more original programming (I enjoyed most of the "Pilot Season" projects) I'd be in for another year at least.

3. ericd

ericd Active Member

Just got an e-mail from Amazon, no mention of music streaming but the price of Amazon prime is going up $20 a year. My membership isn't up until July so I haven't decided if Prime is worth the $100 annual fee.

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Definitely not, for me! Heck, I can take that $100.00 and use it to offset a years worth of shipping. The only reason most folks choose Amazon Prime is for the free shipping.

Their movie & TV show content just doesn't measure up for that price...

Carl

5. ericd

ericd Active Member

I kind of enjoy the Prime app on my LG. It has a pretty good selection of content but Amazon's going to have to step up their game a bit to justify the increase. Just adding music streaming won't be enough for me. More original content and cleaning up the streaming services UI (it just feels like a generic version of Netflix) might be enough to renew.

With nearly every song known to man already on you tube (not to mention all the other free music options), I cna't see an Amazon streaming service being of much use

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014