Quantcast

Replacement for Revue that supports playback of MP4 files a WHS media server?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by CGWaters, Jun 18, 2014.

1. CGWaters

CGWaters New Member

My refurbished Logitech Revue suddenly stopped working. (About 18 months ago, Logitech sent the device as a replacement for a failed, refurbished Revue I had purchased from Amazon six months prior to that.) Over the past two weeks, I've been corresponding with Logitech Support. They have since informed me that the device cannot be repaired--so I'm looking for a replacement.

Most importantly, the replacement needs to be able to playback the terabytes of content (mostly MP4 files) stored on my WHS (Windows Home Server) over my wired Ethernet network. I had been using a simple Windows 7 PC connected to my HDTV to playback the content; however, the Revue and its Logitech Media Player was *so* much simpler to use and maintain--although I'm not entirely sure how the device/app was able to access the content on my WHS. I also used the Revue's YouTube and Netflix apps, as well as Chrome.

Is there a replacement that will satisfy these requirements?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The Sony NSZ-GS7/GS8 should if I understand all you were using the Revue to do. The Sony NSZ-GS7/GS8 can also be used with the same Logitech K700 keyboard when used with a Logitech USB unifying receiver and the box looks very similar to the Revue and will run the same apps.How do you access the terabytes of content?

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The cheap fix is to just buy a used Revue without controller, the K700 keyboard is worth some money but the box itself is not worth much at this point. I know I have two I have retired other than the fact I use the keyboards.

4. BubbaHotep

BubbaHotep New Member

I have a couple of used Revues. They work just fine, I've replaced them with a firetv, and a Hisense androidtv. I'd let the Revues go cheap if you want one.

5. CGWaters

CGWaters New Member

Thanks, Chris. What app could be used on the Sony NSZ-GS7/GS8 to access files on a media server?

I'll be listening to Google I/O closely next week (via live stream) to hear about Android TV's features and availability.

6. CGWaters

CGWaters New Member

I actually now have two working Revue keyboards!

7. CGWaters

CGWaters New Member

Thanks for the information. I'll contact you privately.