Quantcast

Repeated screen blackouts?! Help?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by uset, May 22, 2013.

1. uset

uset New Member

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you have any relevant information I'd greatly appreciate hearing it!

I am first time poster here so please bare with me if something goes astray -like how I almost sent this message in totally unfinished lol)

OK, so I am having a hell of a time trying to diagnose the latest tech glitch my CoStar is throwing at me - after a fixed period of relative inactivity (around 13 seconds) my screen goes black - I turn red ):/

Let me say here that I have no screensaver on my tv, and the CoStar screensaver is set to off. So you will not be wasting time on an idiot (well, in this aspect anyway :cool:) by continuing to read!!

There are conditions that apparently apply each time this occurs. It will NOT EVER happen while there's any audio output; not while viewing video/tv (even while in PIP or with the CoStar's sidebar menu displaying ontop of the tv feed) or while music plays. Also, if there is any video being played without sound the screen stays on (tested w/cablebox output in PIP - not with any standalone CoStar video like Amazon/Youtube/etc.) The last exception is when a button is pressed on the remote - not the mousepointer via trackpad - but a registered key input from the STB's remote.

So if I dont want to have a huge chunk of my screens real estate being wasted w/a muted PIP of live tv, I am forced to remember that I must tap any button that wont mess up whatever activity I'm engaged in. Sigh.

It doesnt seem to matter what else is going on. If I am downloading or a site in Chrome is loading the screen will shut off and activity Ends. I am going to call vizio but thought I'd post this first since Ive spoken with a couple nice kids but feel like theres more of a tech savvy crowd on these forums :)

If there's any more info I can provide for a potential troubleshoot feel free to let me know! I could write more but think I should resist rambling off potentially unrelated stats lol.

Thanks again in advance!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Have you tried a factory reset?

• Like Like x 3
  3. uset

uset New Member

CatfishRivers -

Thanks for the post! Yes, initially i tried a system wipe, which is a very farmiliar process to me at this point! This was a couple of days b4 the OTA upgrade was rolled out to my STB - when it came I was fooled myself into thinking that bit was just the CoStar getting some initial data drops ... silly boy. Obv II was proven wrong ~13 seconds in lol!

But, I do have news, as I ended up calling support last night. I could practically hear the customer service/tech support rep furrowing her brow as I rambled on; def not the kind of scenario easily diagnosed via telephone. After a brief 2 min hold she came back & basically proceeded to give me the proper email address for sending in my proof of purchase LOL. It apparently isn't custom protocol to do so but the only troubleshooting she could provide was to troubleshoot was to factory reset.

So, whenever I have the chance to do that reset - prob tonight - I will begin this process of trading in for a working unit.

Thanks, however, very much appreciated {along with the awesome, no-nonse service Vizio provided!! :}

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

I would go the chat route on Vizio's website. They rep's I have dealt with have been great, and they will send you a replacement if you have a defective unit (which I believe you do have). My first unit had all kinds of issues with black screens, random errors, etc, so they replaced it. My second unit (refurbished) worked perfectly for 3 months but then it completely died. My third unit is brand new and I just received it, so we'll see how long it lasts me.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Wow!

You've had 3 units in under a six month period? What keeps you going back to the same device? It just took me a few hours to know that the Vizio was not for me. I simply can't trust a company that doesn't do Quality Assurance on their units. Either that or the techs don't know how to troubleshoot the boxes correctly.

Either way, I returned mine for a refund & tried another unit that I wouldn't have to keep my fingers crossed that it wouldn't crap out on me at any moment.

Hard to type w/yer fingers crossed...

Carl

6. uset

uset New Member

Thanks 4 the recommendation philykef. I will do that if needed - still must do reset (trying to save all info & no time these days!) :eek:

Carlszone - Dunno about philykef, but in my case i really liked the system and didn't experience any return - worthy problems until recently. What product did you go with - oh,the logitech revue? How do the features stack up?

7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Their is a possibility nothing is wrong with your Co-Star, in other words, your Co-Star is effected by another component part in your set up, that's causing the problem ...

Go Here http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...io-co-star-reviews-your-hands-experience.html down to this section 5.\ CORRECT DISPLAY SCREEN RESOLUTION FOR YOUR CABLE TV BOX/SATELLITE TV RECEIVER (Very Important) ... Follow the instructions in the photos ..! I want you to know that I have seen your problem before, please get back with me, if by chance things don't work out for you ...

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  8. Carlszone

Hi

I finally settled on the Sony GS-7. Works great and w/a HDMI splitter I've been able to use the GS7 on my 32" and my Logitech Revue w/my 19" which is ideal for forums and news sites. The GS7 is my entertainment unit. I also tried the Hisense Pulse and the Netgear Neo Prime TV. I disliked all the newer units for one thing or the other. But the Vizio was my worst experience. It wouldn't allow for the HDMI splitter. It locked up when shutting down. And I couldn't get it to control my TV. Apps didn't automatically restore as happened on all the devices I've tried. The Vizio just ignores the backup & restore features. And 3 times all my apps disappeared including my launcher and wallpaper. As old as the Logitech Revue is, and the newer GS7, they still have a finished feel to them.

But to each their own...

Btw, I do believe if Vizio stops sending out so called defective units and find the cause (which I believe is NOT hardware but is software related) and fix the bugs, the Vizio Co-Star can be a great device. I want all the various units and TVs on the Google TV platform to be successful.

Good Luck!!!

Carl

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. Carlszone

Oh, and I wouldn't even consider buying the Logitech Revue now. It will not be able to be updated and it is outdated. I'd only recommend it as a backup unit if you already have it.

10. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

I knew what I was getting into when I bought the co-star, i.e. semi unfinished product. I just didn't think my experience would be this bad with regard to defective units. It's too late to return it, so I just keep getting replacements because like I've said in other threads, when it works in works great! Especially since the last update, it's been quite snappy. Plus my wife and 3-year-old son are used to the UI, and I've got to keep it simple for them, so I've stuck with the Co-star, even though I will probably never buy a Vizio product again due to my experiences.

Note to Wisdom: When I've had problems I always take my Co-star out of my AV setup and just connect it directly to my TV, no cable box or amp. The screen resolution settings were correct on my TV. When it dies it really dies, and there's nothing I can do, and there's nothing Vizio can do either (except send me a new unit). I don't know why you blindly defend the Co-star no matter what, because it makes you lose credibility. We ALL want the damn thing to work all the time, but obviously Vizio QA was poor with their testing on this thing, regardless of whether it was hardware or software related. It's great that you point out all the great things that the Co-star does (because it really is a great product most of the time), but you should also acknowledge the issues faced by some users rather than trying to defend the product with no regard for common sense.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Look dude, I'm not blindly defending the Co-Star, so I don't know what in the hell you are talking about guy ... If I tell you or anybody else about a fix that works, believe me it works ...! Now if you or anybody else have a Co-Star that's need to be replaced, their is nothing I can do about that ...

If I tell you something about the Co-Star, I'm speaking about my experience with the Co-Star .... I have not had any problems with my Co-Stars, so I can tell you only about my experience ... So get your facts straight guy ....!

12. Carlszone

Geeze Wisdom

I like ya, and I've defended most of yer posts. But the equations of returns and exchanges are not bearing out yer optimism. Can you at least acknowledge that Vizio has been a bit remiss on how they are introducing new users to the GTV platform? If you take a trip to the local grocery store and buy a pint of milk that turned out to be sour, would the fact that they replaced the outdated product build confidence enough to make ya want to make another purchase in the same store when ya have other options?

Don't be stupid...

Vizio is sending out units that may or may not be fully functional. Hey guy, it ain't yer fault! If you can make yerself admit this fact, well...most folks would trust ya. But if you keep making it look like you believe it is user error at the bottom of these returns, then nobody of sound mind and/or more advanced internet user experience will ever believe ya!

Stop blaming the users. Hell, they often take yer advice and rather than get a refund, they allow Vizio to send em another unit. They really want this device to work. Just don't lie to them...

Please

Carl

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Don't you be stupid...! First of all, don't accuse me of blaming the user for his or her bad experience with the Co-Star ... They could have purchased a lemon Co-Star, how do I know, that's wrong what you are doing .... It's seems more like you want to attack and defame me, assinnate my character, simply because I have been bless to have a very good experience with my Co-Stars ..

I don't care how many Co-Stars have been returned ....!

Again, I have my original Co-Stars, never had a problem with my Co-Stars, not even a hiccup ... All my Co-Stars were purchased at different times, and still all are working like a charm ... I can only give you my user experience with my Co-Stars ...!

Look dude, this is where you want post http://www.flamewar.com ....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  14. Carlszone

Lol!

A difference of opinion is now an attack.

Wisdom enjoy yer charmed Vizio Co-Stars. Posting in this thread is like a trip to Never Never land.

But I love good fantasy...

Take Care

Carl

15. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

One question, seriously. How old are you Wisdom? I'm curious.

• Like Like x 2
  16. neevak

neevak New Member

I was wondering the same, these forums are filled with his nonsense threads. I cringed just looking at that HDMI thread, where it pretty much looks like he's an unpaid intern for monoprice, and he kept posting the same video over and over ... and his reponses were pretty much the same.

Anyway, ran a search on the forums but didn't find anything.
    Is anyone else is getting black screen when trying to turn on the device (not the same issue in the original post).
    The device is working fine when its on, its just when I turn it off, and then come back to turn it on.
    Most of the times it turns on, other times it just shows a black screen (whereas I would get "no input" signal when it was off).
    I had a Kill-A-Watt attached, which showed the device remaining at about the same wattage as when it was off.
    I'm not sure if this problem is heat related or software issue.
    My fix so far has been to unplug the device and replug it in.
    I don't plan on doing another factory reset, since I've already done it once which gave no improvement.
    Any ideas on how to fix it?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  17. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

18. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Why I have never ever had any problems with my Co-Stars, If you want a flame war you know where to go http://www.flamewar.com ...(lol)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  19. neevak

neevak New Member

Guess I must have used the wrong search term to describe the issue. Thanks for the link. I've ordered some remote control switch socket. If I can't get the device to properly get out of suspend, I'll just turn it off/on remotely, that way I don't have to deal with unplugging and replugging the device, and explaining to family members how to get the TV working. I guess my only consolation was that I only spent $40 to get it from Amazon's used warehouse.

One question though, there was mention in the thread about shutting down, swirling load animation from android.... I have not seen that, is that from the older software version? my box just seems to cut the video feed, go black, show the video for a split second and then go to no signal.