Quantcast

Rendering, Bubbleupnp, DLNA, Confusion

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by ameagari79, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ameagari79

ameagari79 New Member

My parents bought an LG Google Tv (55GT) over the Holidays, finally caving in and buying a nice tv for te first time in my life. They kind of went all out on this one, deciding that for once they just want something that fills all their needs. Sadly it's proving to be incomprehensible on so many levels. Part of it is we have pretty bad internet for streaming, which we knew in advance.

The basics are working for us. Netflix, Amazon, and I even got a workaround for Hulu Plus.
    I began looking for media servers to try and stream media from our laptop to the TV, and discovered Plex and Playon, as well as Twonky and the app that led me to this forum, BubbleUpNp.

My understanding so far is that Twonky, Plex, and Playon are merely servers, and that I required a product like Bubbleupnp to recognize and communicate with those servers on the TV. So far so good. Using Bubbleupnp (and I also tried Avia) I was able to see all our running servers, and ultimately I was able to access the media files I had stored on my computer (after messing around a bit, not all of them worked for video, all let me listen to my music)

Enter the problem I am working on now, having conquered all these other issues. All these servers come with great channels I can add on. There are academic channels with lectures, podcasters, tech stations, and on and on. However when I try to play these channels in Bubbleupnp, I get this error:

"bubbleup can be selected only for playing a video to an external renderer (ex: TV) from another ap (ex: file manager)"

Bubbleupnp gives me an option in the screen where I choose which server I want to browse to use a 'local renderer' or 'avia's renderer'. I don't know what this means.

What I am hoping for is someone to explain to me what rendering is, how it works, and how I can fix this issue. My parents would like access to all these cool channels, and I would like to slay my massive frustration with it.

What is a local renderer? Do I need to download a renderer to my tv? to my computer? How? does this have to do with video codecs or translating data into a language the TV can understand?

I would be grateful even to be pointed to something that explains this stuff. I hardly know where to start because my knowledge in it is so pathetic. Please help?

2. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

to the rescue!!

first off, why did you buy your parents a TV like a Google TV? that like getting my grandparents a cutting edge Android phone with all of its complexity...but Kudos to them for succeeding!

first off my recommendation is to use plex...after that latest update its now a free premium app, and all you would have to do is download the server (Plex - A Complete Media Solution) to the PC that contains all of the media files...
    plex tends to be a bit of a pain to set it up, but the advantage is the extra channel it offers and how it displays your movie collection using downloaded metadata.

ok so how DLNA works...

DLNA has two sides... the server and the player/renderer. the server program will run on the device where the media files are stored (usually the PC). the player/renderer will located on the device that will play the file (TV, Bluray player, Smartphone). in some cases a device can be a server and a renderer (smartphone).

as for the google TV...bubbleupnp is a renderer so any DLNA server program running on your PC, you should be able to see it using the bubbleupnp app on the GTV or using the avia app. with plex its slightly different. although plex is still DLNA, you have to use the plex software on your PC (this is because of the metadata feature).

basically, you go out and download any DLNA server program for your PC, and set that up. once you do that, you shoudl be able to open up Bubbleupnp and see that server that your running. choose it and you shoudl see the files that you shared.

3. ameagari79

ameagari79 New Member

Thank you for your reply!
    Well my parents chose the google TV. They do all their TV watching online, so it seemed like a great option.

I really have already figured out what you told me, however. I have Plex and everything. The reason it hasn't solved all the problems is because...well it doesn't. Lots of channels won't play with it, so I needed an alternative.

So is a renderer just the device that actually PLAYS the media? A tablet, smart phone, the TV itself?

Also I still don't understand the main problem, and that's why is Bubbleup giving me an error when I try to play channels through it... (see Original post)

4. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

im still not sure what you mean by channels....the only channels i can think of are TV channels that you get with Cable/Sat subscription...honestly if your getting issues with those channels not playing, then you would need to contact the developer of that app...but ill try and reproduce what your going through..

the renderer is the appiclation, in this case it would be Avia or BubbleUpnP on the GTV...the plex app on the TV would be the Plex Renderer and the Plex program on your PC would be the 'Server'. a smartphone could be used as both a renderer and a server. for example, on my smartphone i can pick up the server from my PC and play movies that are stored on my PC, but played on my Smartphone (PC=server, Smartphone=Renderer). i could also use my smartphone as the server. i ahve a video i recorded on my phone, i start my DLNA server app on my phone, and then i would be able to see that server on other renderer (for example on the BubbleupnP app on the GTV) and play that file.

so yes the renderer is where the media is played, the server is where it is stored....

ill downlaod BubbleUpnP now and see what happens when i try

5. ameagari79

ameagari79 New Member

The channels are internet channels, with internet content. Like NBC.com. I think they're technically plugins? Not sure. Plex has a channel directory and you can add them to your plex menu. There's a Southpark channel, for example, that just plays Southpark episodes.

There are Huluplus channels (though Huluplus channels only work via playon) and so I would like to use playon as my server and use bubbleup to navigate it so that I can watch Hulu.

The way it is now I have to use a different program to do different things which ALL the programs claim they can all do. It's a nightmare remembering what I have to use to do what. So JUST having bubbleup t do everything would be great.

When I open bubbleup I have a choice to pick a server. So I pick playon for hulu channel, for example. But the channels just won't play through bubbleup.

6. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

ok well first off, any channel related to Hulu or any of the TV broadcasters (NBC, etc...) will most likely not work. for the same reason that nbc.com or hulu.com will not work in browser, since Hulu and all those people really dont like Google.
    let me download bubbleupnp and try...

ill be using the Nero Media Home Essentials 4 as my DLNA server on my pc and BubbleuPnP on the GTV...ill let you know how it works out...

question...what DLNA server are you using on your PC? it sounds like your trying to use playon...if you are i went to playon's website and found some helpful info here... Supported Devices Compatible with PlayOn | PlayOn ....it gave me teh following steps...maybe this will help you.

1. On your GoogleTV type g.playon.tv into the search bar (on the Logitech Revue you find this by clicking the magnifying glass on the bottom, left of the keyboard). This will bring you to the page that discovers your PlayOn PC. You should bookmark this page for easy access (on the Logitech Revue, you can bookmark a page by pressing the star-shaped icon button on the bottom, right of the keyboard).
    2. You can now navigate PlayOn via the touchpad on the keyboard. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your favorite show.
    Known issues: The back button on the keyboard will work, however the play and pause buttons on the keyboard will not work. You will need to use the on-screen controller for those trick-play features which you can get by using the trackpad to move the cursor over the bottom of the screen.

maybe that will help you access the channels.

i believe that the channels were not working for you because GTV and a lot of the networks (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc...) dont like it when smart TV's such as a GTV access their websites such as NBC.com or Hulu.com and as such, they usually block those services from working on smart TV's. that could be what happening to you.

7. ameagari79

ameagari79 New Member

Hi, rthanks fore ontinuing to help!

I am actually using several servers, playon, plex, and twonky.

I wanted to use Bubbleupnp to access playon because playon has a DREADFUL interface that my parents are hating and find baffling :( However when I use Bubbleup to access playon, the channels won't work. It happens no matter what channel I try to play, even when I use playon as my server and bubbleup on the tv to spot the servers. So I am pretty sure the problem is something in bubbleup.

8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

By the way , I hate to butt in but when you set up plex and added hulu to your list of channels, did you put in your user name and password in hulus preferences so it will use your credentials to access hulu?

9. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

i just got plex set up and i found it in the 'devices' section of the BubbleUpnP app in the GTV, but i couldnt find any of the channels that i had installed for plex....what do you do to access the channels for plex?