Quantcast

Remote is no longer able to change my TV channels

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by HA6, Nov 27, 2011.

1. HA6

HA6 New Member

First when I setup my Sony GTV it was great that I was able to grab the GTV remote and use it for GTV or regular TV without using the TV remote. I unplugged my GTV accidently when I was rearranging the wires behind my setup and now the remote is no longer able to change channels on the TV. It still can control the volume, mute and input, but not changing channels (everything else seems to work fine). I repeated the remote setup multiple times, tried different codes available for my Samsung tv, I even rest the system to factory default setting and repeated the entire setup and still not able to change channels.

I also use my phone to video the IR transmission out of the remote, I see the IR transmission when I press the volume key but no light when I press the channel key.

Any ideas, ...my unit is only 3 weeks old, perhaps the remote has gone bad?

Thanks,

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't know it certainly is possible. Have you tried those same keys in Chrome? I believe with [Fn]+[Channel Up/Down] is Page Up/Down respectively in Chrome web browser. That's one way to tell if those specific keys aren't working. Afterall, the remote is just a triggering device. Something you might want to try is a factory reset and then reconfigure your Samsung television in the GTV Settings > TV & AV Receiver > TV control panel.

3. HA6

HA6 New Member

Than you for your reply. Great Suggestion, it works with Chrome but still not able to change the TV channel. I used my phone video again to see if I can see the IR transmission, nop, no IR. So I'm assuming FN CH Up/Down use the RF transmitter not IR. I think the remote uses RF (probably Bluetooth) to communicate with GTV and IR for all other devices.
    BTW, per my original post I have already tried the factory reset with no luck.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with the remote and your suggestion was another indication that the remote is working.

Is there anyone else out there with a Samsung TV (IR code 20) that is able to change the channel using the Sony GTV remote?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Wait, are you checking the digital camera pointing to the NSG-MR1? Are you using the mini-IR blasters that came with the Sony Google TV device? And have you check them out with the digital camera? I'm not sure whether or not the NSG-MR1 actually sends out IR in all cases.

5. HA6

HA6 New Member

I'm not using the IR Blaster kit that comes with the GTV. I have a very simple setup, no cable box, I just use the GTV (NSZ-GT1) for internet and Netflix. I do have a basic TV service from Comcast, however that is connected directly to my Samsung TV as I don't have an inexpensive way to connect that through the GTV. So when I want to watch regular TV I just press the Input on the GTV remote, which will open up my TV input selection menu and switch to Cable input for the TV. So when I was referring to looking at the IR transmission I was talking about using my phone video recorder to look at the little IR widow on the GTV remote.
    Of course the regular TV remote is just IR based, so in order for the the GTV remote to be able to change the TV channel it needs to be able to send IR signal to the TV as it does for the Volume and all other functions of the TV that it controls.
    Remember I was able to change channels when I first setup my system about 3 weeks ago.:confused:

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Right, so do me a favor and try using the mini-IR Blasters that came with the Google TV device. Maybe one of the updates altered how IR blasters in the NSG-MR1 works.

7. HA6

HA6 New Member

Ok, I gave it a try with the IR Blasters, however none of the codes seem to work for my TV. Code 20 is what I need, which is available when configuring the remote but not available for Blasters.

BTW I was not able to see (using my phone video) IR transmissions out of the Blasters regardless of which code I used.