Quantcast

Remote for Revue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Danny8832, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Danny8832

Danny8832 New Member

Hi

I would like to buy a Logitech Revue but I have some questions.
    Firstly, is there a remote for the Revue? I know that you get a keyboard but I need something like a TV remote (and not a Logitech Harmony). Is it possible to control the Revue with the Apple Remote? Is there maybe a hack to make this possible?
    The second question is about Slingplayer. Is it possible to control the app just with a remote? Or do I need a mouse or trackpad?

Thank you in advance

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Best way to fully control Revue is w/Keyboard, mini- controller or remote Phone Apps - there is no dedicated IR- remote control for revue - Apple remote doesn't learn IR-codes - Harmony remote will work (may act slightly sluggish! w/revue) and will control Apps like Netflix, Pandora & ...etc. (not web-page apps) .

However, any universal learning remote control may control Revue - you'll need to teach it the IR codes - IR codes are available in all Harmony remote models.

If you currently controlling a HTS (TV- STBs- AVR) w/ universal learning remote - Just program hdmi-input to change input to Revue - and pickup the Revue keyboard or Revue mini- controller to control the Revue.

See more Tips here --> http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...e-gtv2-0-ui-pq-netflix-apps-quick-review.html

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, the Logitech Harmony remotes will work to control the Logitech Revue. I use a Harmony 300 to control mine without any problems. There is a profile on the Logitech Harmony Database (http://www.logitech.com/harmony/components) for the Logitech Revue. There are also Pronto codes and JP1 remote master device upgrades for the Logitech Revue's IR profile.

No.

Maybe, anything is possible but not everything is probable. However that would be outside the scope of this forum.

Yes, you can control it with just the remote. I've included the IR command to toggle between D-Pad and Mouse for the remote's directional keys. You can download the Slingbox bin files from the JP1 website. However, you should be aware that you'll need a HDMI to Component converter to allow the connection between the Logitech Revue and the Slingbox Pro-HD or Solo.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

5. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

I use the Harmony One for my AV system, which includes my Revue.
    Works like a charm.

6. JMN57

JMN57 New Member

I, too, an interested in possibly getting a Revue. I have a some questions will the Harmony Remote iPad app control the Revue? I'm not talking about the iPad app they made for the Harmony Link, not the iPhone app for the Revue.

As background, I currently have an ONKYO AVR (TX-NR808) on my network connected to a TiVo, Slingcatcher, a Sammie BD, a DLNA server all in a closet controlled by Thinkflood's RedEye which is controlled by the RedEye iPad or Android apps. Works pretty well but controlling the Slingcatcher is a little cumbersome.

If the Revue provided can play my remote Slingplayers, can be controlled via iPad/Android via IP and can also replace the RedEye, it becomes very interesting.

It does seem a slow torturous climb to remote control nirvana though. All I want is all my entertainment to be on my network and to have one integrated application that can talk to each component via IP. Right now, my TiVo, Onkyo are on the net and controllable (separate apps) and the SlingCatcher, too but it's control is IP. I'm really looking to replace it with an IP based solution.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Then what app are you referring to since you've discriminated against them both? There is only the iPhone Logitech Harmony® for Logitech Revue and the universal iOS Logitech Harmony® Link apps.

Not sure if I understand your situation. The Onkyo TX-NR808, Tivo, Sling Media SlingCatcher, Samsung Blu-Ray Player can all be controlled via InfraRed (IR). The RedEye Smartphone app controls the RedEye IR controller via IP. This leaves me confused regarding a "IP based solution" since you already have the tools to accomplish it.

8. JMN57

JMN57 New Member

Eferz - thanks for the reply. First part - I mistyped (there's a not in there that shouldn't be). I want to know if the Harmony Link app works with the Revue.

On the IP based solution, what I really mean is a pure IP based solution as opposed to IP to IR. Yes, I can control the TiVo with the TiVo app (but it won't control volume on my Onkyo) and I can control the Onkyo with oRemote (but it doesn't control the Tivo) and I can control the Samsung BD via oRemote and HDMI-CEC but my remote control nirvana would be one app that controls everything but without translating via IR. RedEye gets close but needs to translate to IR to do it. I'd love it if the RedEye app would direct IP communicate to the devices that can be IP controlled. Finally, if they would allow that across subnets, it would be great to bridge two homes together and IP connect/control the remote TiVo. One problem with the IR solutions is that they tend to lag.

My setup works pretty well but I am trying to make it bulletproof for my wife. If I'm not there and there's a problem, it's not something she can easily debug. Since she's the primary user of the Slingcatcher (she's learning Italian and we stream an Italian channel from one home to another), making that link solid is important to me. Hence my interest in the Revue with the new Sling functionality.

Thanks

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Okay, now it makes sense. The answer is, "no". The Harmony Link app will only work the Harmony Link product.

Incidentally, the core R&D for the Revue is responsible for the Harmony Link. In fact, before Logitech discontinued the Revue it was actually supposed to include features that is associated with the Harmony Link. As it is now, the Harmony component within the Revue only supports three IR profiles; Set-top box, AV Receiver, and Television. You can assign and teach IR commands to support more devices but not in a way that is intuitive.

Well, you can use the Logitech Revue to replace the SlingCatcher now that the Slingplayer for Revue exists. It will even allow you unify the control of the Tivo and the AV Receiver. However, the control of external devices is still facilitated by relaying IR signals once its gets input from Keyboard (RF), or Smartphone App (IP), or Harmony Remote (IR).

10. JMN57

JMN57 New Member

eferz - thanks for the info. From what I'd read, I'd gathered there was a genealogical link (pardon the pun) between the two. It's a shame that the Revue doesn't work with the iPad app. If it did, I'd certainly buy it. The Link looks nice and I do think their screen layouts are slick. The RedEye has a curse/blessing in their UI. You can pretty much do everything, it is basically an event driven environment and they've even added scripting. Downside, is that it can become a sinkhole for time. I have it set up pretty well so switching would be a pain. The Slingcatcher works but it's old, slow, pokey and if it dies, I'll have to replace it. So, if I can get a Revue cheap somewhere, I'll probably buy it for backup.

Appreciate your knowledgeable feedback, it's people like you that are willing to share what you know that makes for a nicer world.

11. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you.