Quantcast

REL06 upgrade stuck

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by LeeGillie, Jan 29, 2013.

1. LeeGillie

LeeGillie New Member

Go into SETTINGS / ABOUT / UPDATE and it shows attempt of a 300+ MB download has failed. The button says TRY AGAIN, but does nothing. Yet everything else about the box operates normally (other than I can't get into Google Play Store because it says I'm running an old version).

I've tried powering the unit off briefly to no avail. I've tried clicking the DO IT AGAIN button and leaving it over night, to no avail.

Any ideas on breaking this loose would be greatly appreciated.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You can try going to settings, then "manage applications", and then force stop and clear data from the "Google Services Framework" app. If that doesn't fix it then I suggest trying a factory reset.

3. futureboy

futureboy New Member

If after a Factory reset and confirming that you have an internet connection you are still not able to download the update or use the Google Play Store to download apps contact Sony support at customer support at 1-239-768-7547.

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Google must be up to something. This is the 4th post I've seen regarding the Play Store across different devices.

Anybody know what's up?

Carl

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think anything is up really. I downloaded and installed apps using a Logitech Revue yesterday and using an NSZ-GT1 today, nothing strange about using the Play Store for me. I am not sure how a few isolated instances of users being unable to access the Play Store is any indication of something going on.

6. Carlszone

You're may be right. I haven't had any problems w/the Play Store either. It might just be due to planetary interferences, a downed server or internet traffic.

But, I can hope...

Carl

7. CatfishRivers

Carl are you experiencing the Play Store issue mentioned in this new thread (see link below) that was started today on the Logitech Forum? As you can see the natives are getting quite restless.... I too am experiencing the same issue mentioned in the thread. Currently I have to use the Google Play web site with Chrome browser to download apps on my Revue. This particular issue just started yesterday.

Play Store version not supported? Just started to... - Logitech Forums

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I just went to the other room and installed an app using a Logitech Revue, it worked perfectly again. I can only speculate as to why a few people are reporting the Play Store is not accessible. Could it be boxes with side loaded apps do not appear to be running the proper version as a result of some quirk caused by the unapproved apps? Nothing but stock boxes here, no apps designed for other boxes, no hacks attempted, nothing has been done to try break out of the boring Google TV environment. I have 3 different models none ever have the serious issues I read about.

9. CatfishRivers

Chris another thought that I had is maybe some Revue users don't have the most current OS update - but are unaware of it. The recent OS is the one that came after the 3.2 update and I believe was labeled the "2.1.1 OS update". I read the Revue Forums a lot and the last 2 updates have not gone very smoothly for some Revue users. Some had to go to settings and force close & clear data from the "Google Services Framework" app in order to force the recent updates to install.

Hard to say for sure at this point.....

(I know for sure that my Revue is inexorably stuck on the 3.1 update) LOL

When I go to settings and then "about" it says that my Revue is on the 3.1 update and is up to date! This could be confusing for some that might be unknowingly having update issues (seeing their Revue say that they are up to date).

10. LeeGillie

LeeGillie New Member

Ok... thanks again to this wonderful group here... problem solved. Let me pay back a bit by sharing what I learned.

I had left the unit unplugged all day, and tonight I was able to restart the download. Mine is new (REL03) and it was wanting to install REL06. It downloaded without error, but failed at the end of the verify pass. Same pickle I was already in.

I took CatfishRivers idea and cleared data from Google Services Framework app. Upon repowering it booted and started the download again. Only this time it took, and did the update.

Google Store works now. It is HUGELY different than what was there, with the MOVIES TV and MUSIC. So it came with the update, and it looks interesting. My guess is server side required changes that broke the old Google Store client.

In and amongst all this I missed the ability to do a 3-finger solute (ctrl-alt-del) to reboot my old Revue box. Is there something like this in the Sony world.

Thanks again to all.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CatfishRivers

I don't own the Sony GTV box but I think this should work for rebooting your NSZ-GS7:

Simultaneously press the CTL+ALT+BACKSPACE/DELETE buttons on the keypad remote control.

12. futureboy

futureboy New Member

To Reboot the Sony NSZ-GS7 use "CTL" + "SHIFT" + "BACKSPACE/DEL"

BR,
    Paul from Sony

13. Carlszone

Glad to hear ya got it fixed. Keep this in mind for the future. Troubleshooting in small steps can save ya unneeded Factory Resets. I think others that are having trouble w/the Play Store should try this fix. And no I've been checking the Play Store and I haven't had any problem w/it. And my browser started running smoother than it has in a long while a few hours ago. I use my PIP to let me know when things get bogged down. After 2 or 3 days the sound distorts when pages load when cache is full.

Go Figgur...

Carl