Quantcast

Refurbished Co-Star is way outperforming old one (but one issue remains)

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Phillykef, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

I was having all kinds of issues with my Day 1 Co-Star, so i finally convinced Vizio to send me a new (refurbished) one. I returned the old one and the new one arrived a week ago, and I'm happy to say that the device AND the remote and performing wonderfully. I wonder if the first batch had a manufacturing issue since so many people had issues? Who knows, but I am super happy with my GTV now.

Problems I used to have:
    • Home Power Outages would require me to do a hard reset in order for the Co-Star to work again
    • Pressing buttons on the remote would result in the Co-Star thinking I was holding the button down
    • The remote would regularly lose it's programming codes for my TV
    • In Plex, fast forwarding to a different spot in the movie almost always caused an app crash
    • General sluggishness in getting an on-screen response
    • Random app crashes almost daily (YouTube, Netflix, etc.)
    ALL of these have been resolved, AND as an Amazon Prime member I finally have a real app for that too.

My ONLY remaining issue is with my ripped DVD's (using Handbrake) playing via Playpoint or Plex. I've ripped them as mp4 and mkv files, and they look fine on every Android and/or Windows device that I own EXCEPT for the Co-Star, with the aspect ratios always being off. Everything looks scrunched up. My brother even played one of the files on his Apple TV and it looked great, and I hooked the Co-Star up to a different TV too and it still looked scrunched, so I'm at a loss. I posted about this before and no one could help, so just taking a shot that someone else is having the same issue and may have a solution.

Note: I would love to post a small clip of one of these files on box.net for someone else to play and tell me if they get the same results. Anyone interested?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hmm...

I'm curious. Have ya ever owned any other GTV device. My Logitech is old by internet standards and haven't rec'd the new apps, but I have never had to get a replacement unit. Be happy w/the device of yer choice, but don't get crazy about it. All devices have their pros & cons.

Logitech, did it right the first time...

Carl

3. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I would be happy to take a look for you. Post a link to the file and I will take a look as soon as I can.

4. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

I just sent you a link to the file via Private Message. Thanks for looking at this, and please let me know what your results are.

5. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

Nope, this is my first one. And I can finally say I'm happy with it now because it works consistently.

6. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I wonder if several folks ran "Android System Tool" if we'd find different HW revisions, and/or CPU revisions.