Quantcast

Redbox Instant with LG GA6400 Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by gtvforumuser, Aug 13, 2013.

1. gtvforumuser

gtvforumuser New Member

I am interested in trying Redbox's new Instant service that offers streaming video as well as disc rentals. When I go to the play store the app is available from my phone and laptop, but when I go to the play store from my TV the app is not found. I read some blurbs about Redbox Instant being in Beta, but that was a while ago. Does anyone know the scoop on whether that app will run on my LG GA6400 Google TV or not? Or, do I have to wait for the OS to get upgraded to install Redbox Instant?

Thanks.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There are 2 versions of the Redbox Instant app in the Google Play Store. There is an android version and a special GTV version. Here is the link to the GTV version (give it a try and see if it works for you):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redboxinstantgtv

3. gtvforumuser

gtvforumuser New Member

Thanks for the pointer to this app.
    I tried this, but it says it is not compatible with my devices (LG GA6400). It only lists LG Google TV G3, so it's apparently not available for my TV yet.
    It might have something to do with my TV is at Android Honeycomb level and an upgrade to Jelly Bean is promised for 3Q2013. I may have to wait for that to occur.

I also contacted Redbox and they said I'd have to wait as they are developing the app for my device. I was put on their waiting list and will be notified when it's ready.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Here is a link to the Redbox Instant web site where they list which GTV devices are 'supposed to be' compatible with their GTV app:

Which Google TV devices can I use with Redbox Instant by Verizon?

From the web site:

The Redbox Instant by Verizon Google TV app works on these devices:

-- ASUS CUBE with Google TV
    -- Hisense Pulse with Google TV
    -- LG 47G2 and 55G2 Google TV-enabled Smart TVs (LG Smart TVs without Google TV also are supported; those models are listed here.)
    -- NETGEAR's NeoTV Prime with Google TV
    -- Sony Internet Player NSZ-GS7
    -- Vizio Co-Star

To ensure the app functions properly, it's always a good idea to ensure you have the latest versions of the both the app and your device's firmware. The firmware is programming code that helps control your device, and it can usually be updated through your manufacturer. **

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to an article from June 4th - and it said that the Redbox Instant GTV app works with second generation GTV devices - and that a new version is coming after the GTV Jellybean update. I'm sorry to hear that it apparently doesn't currently work with some second-generation GTV devices. But as you said it will probably work after the Jellybean update:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/04/redbox-instant-google-tv/

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

yea that is strange. the G2 was last years GTV from LG and the GA series is this years GTV device from LG...technically speaking the "LG Google TV G3" is stalking about the GA series. why it still says its not compatible beyond me, unless they mean it will be compatible after the Jellybean update.