Quantcast

RedBox Instant Is Coming To Google TV Soon

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 17, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Redbox Instant is coming to Google TV soon, Roku up next ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - May 17, 2013

"Redbox Instant By Verizon is going to bring its streaming service to Google TV devices soon: The company demonstrated a prototype of its app at Google I/O Friday, and a representative told me that the app will launch in earnest within the next few weeks. After that, the company is going to launch a channel on Roku media streamers.

Redbox Instant by Verizon's prototype app was on display on an LG Google TV that ran the next version of Google TV that is based on Android 4.2.2, or Jelly Bean. That version will come to Google TV devices in the third quarter of this year, but I was told that the Redbox Instant app will be available before that, and that is going to work just fine with the current version of Google TV. However, the service won't be available on Google TV devices using an Intel processor, which means that owners of the Logitech Revue and other first-generation devices won't be able to use it.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. 007_shark

007_shark New Member

I have Netflix and this looks to be a rising competitor to Netflix. It is good to have competition. I might try their one month free trial just to see what it is about.

3. tfid

tfid New Member

Finally someone is using the OS terminology properly. "next version of GTV BASED ON Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)"
    I think they should call it something different because it's not going to be the same 'jelly Bean' as the one for tablets and phones.
    They talk about other companies fragmenting the OS by making it different, but Google is doing the same thing with GTV.
    It's not out yet, but I bet they won't allow other browsers to be loaded and (try to) block rooting which makes them full of it when the talk about the 'pure' android experience.

4. googlethis

googlethis New Member

My wife signed up for the trial when it first came out and Redbox Instant had a really horrible selection. We also have Netflix and it is vastly superior. It would be nice if you could just rent through Redbox Instant for the same price as their kiosk rentals. I think that would make them a ton of money.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That would be great if Paramount, Universal, Warner, LionsGate, etc. would provide recent releases to Redbox to rent online for $1.30 to $.1.50 profitably. They don't, Redbox would lose money with each new release online rental at the kiosk price as would Vudu, Blockbuster, MGo, CinemaNow, Amazon, and the others which is why nobody does that. Redbox can buy a disc and rent it for a period, then sell the used disc and that can be done profitably at those prices. There is a bid difference in the way the movie studios have control of their property in the online rental business. I hope this changes in the future but it won't if the current model is making money for the studios. As is, Vudu manages to offer a single title each day at $.99, either as a loss leader or as a result of a negotiated one time deal with the studios. The $2.99 to $4.99 prices all services typically use are a result of the prices they must pay plus a modest profit.

Once the movies are no longer recent releases in demand and are made available for Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime, Showtime, etc. inexpensive PPV rentals are possible but nobody would pay the price at that point so that doesn't work either.