Quantcast

Receiver won't play SOUnd

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by chibry, Feb 13, 2012.

1. chibry

chibry New Member

Hi,

I have an ancient reciever and I'm not great at techology so obviously with a tv like google tv it's tough. I've made it through everything except setting up the audio, here's my issue:

1. I have an old receiver that has no HDMI input/output
    2. my cable box is only a coaxial in/coaxial out option
    3. I connected the coaxial out to the tv and I have sound through the tv
    4. HOWEVER! When I connect the red and white plugs from the TV to the receiver, no sound comes out of the speakers. I switched the google settings to 'external speakers' then I get no sound at all, does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Jennifer

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, Jennifer, don't plug the television's audio inputs into your receiver's inputs. That's sort of like connecting two female connectors with a dowel. You might be able to get the two physically connected but there's nothing being transferred between the two. The red and white jacks on the back of the television are audio inputs for a set-top box like a PVR/DVR/VCR, Blu-Ray Player or Video Game Console. They are not audio output jacks which is why you're not getting any sound from them. The only audio output jacks are the digital optical output and the headphone jacks. If your receiver doesn't have digtial optical inputs then you can use a headphone jack to phono cable Y-adapter instead.

(Of course, I'm assuming that you have a Sony NSX-GT# television, since you happened to also leave out what Google TV device you own)

3. chibry

chibry New Member

THank you for the response, yes it was a Google Sony TV, I was able to get the sound to work via a "ARC" HDMI cable and a new receiver, getting expensive!

Jen

4. Cunningham1420

Cunningham1420 New Member

What u need to to is the samething I had to do since the tv only has audio in ports not out. Youll have to buy a toslink fiber-optic digital audio cable and a digital audio to analog audio converter. The digital audio cable will plug into the back of your gtv and run to the digital to analog converter, then from the otherside of the converter you run your standard L&R (red&white) analog/rca cables to the back of your receiver like you typically would to your receivers tv input. You can get one of these converters off ebay around $25 or a more expensive/better quality brand like Geffen for $60. I got the cheaper brand and its worked great