Quantcast

Ready to buy it!!! But have some questions first :)

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by memevertical, Apr 8, 2011.

1. memevertical

memevertical New Member

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of getting this, but I have a few questions:

- When u press the "Guide" Button does it show the ugly guide that usually comes with DVR's? Or does Google TV has its own Guide look? (I'm thinking of getting Dish Network also)

- When you search for a TV Show for example, and lets say this show has Full Episodes available on TBS.com, does it display TBS.com shows as results?

- If I press the "INPUT" button, is that like "SOURCE" on the TV remote? If so, can I use the remote to control something else at that point? Like a DVD player?

- What are the color buttons for?

Well, those are my questions so far :)

Thanks everyone!!!

2. memevertical

memevertical New Member

hmmm, I thought this were easy questions for GoogleTV owners.....

3. HeathNutso

HeathNutso New Member

Well depending on who gives them, there are different answers to your questions.

1) I wouldn't know, I don't have anything that allows Google TV to put a guide on screen. I use C-Band satellite and get most, if not all of the stations that show in guides but the Sony box won't let me use it with their remote or guide system.

2) You will be hard pressed to view any full episodes from online content without paying for a service such as Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc. without spoofing the user agent for the Sony blu-ray. Full episodes are blocked for Google TV boxes by just about everyone (even TBS which is on the Sony menus).

3) Yes you can use the remote to control other devices provided the device you want to control is in the list of supported devices for the player. If the device is not in that list, you are out of luck. The remote does not have any learning capability.

4) The color buttons have different functionality for different devices.

If you're looking for something to view FREE online content Google TV isn't the way to go right now and I would look into an actual media player or HTPC. Google AC Ryan, O!Play or Xtreamer to list just a few.

If you're looking to subscribe to various services like Hulu Plus and Netflix, then this would work well for what you want to do.

4. memevertical

memevertical New Member

Hi there! Thanks for replying!

Well, here's the thing, I was asking about the remote's ability to control other devices because I already have an HTPC, with XBMC, but I wanna leave that just for my movie library, everything else I wanna use with Gooogle TV. I understand that HULU for example, has blocked Google TV, but I do use Netflix a lot, which is one of the ones that work even with the search functionality (so I've heard).

But I do was hoping to be able to press for example (Red button) and have the TV switch to HDMI 2 and control the HTPC. That is off course, till they port XBMC to Google TV :)

5. HeathNutso

HeathNutso New Member

Ah well then you understand where I'm coming from. :)

The remote will switch inputs, but the remote will not control the HTPC, I can say that without a doubt and from experience.

My Google TV blu-ray player sites idle most of the time, except if I want to check some information on the internet or watch an actual blu-ray disc. Otherwise, my media player/HTPC is still the workhorse even for Netflix.

6. HeathNutso

HeathNutso New Member

One other thing, I don't use DLNA for my network/media system. I use standard network file sharing, which is NOT supported by the Sony blu-ray/Google TV box.

I mention that, because it could be a deal breaker for some people.

7. galfert

galfert Active Member

If you haven't made your purchase yet I would recommend to reconsider and get the Logitech Revue instead of the Sony to get the better Google TV experience.

To I can also confirm your questions:
    1) Yes you get the same ugly guide ...you are basically just controlling the same Set Top Box but with the Google TV remote
    2) When you search the results are mostly for TV listings, youtube content, Amazon OnDemand, and Web Search results. Netflix search is accomplished from within the Netflix app.
    3) Yes pressing Input on the remote is the same as Source on your current remote. But NO you will not be able to control your DVD player. You can only control 3 devices: Set Top Box, AV Receiver, and TV. The Logitech Review does have the capability or learning any remote command you want and mapping to custom keys. The Sony will not do this.
    4) The color buttons on the Sony are only for Blu-ray use. The Sony is missing the capability to send your Set To Box the A, B, C, and D keys. The Logitech Revue can do everything.

8. memevertical

memevertical New Member

Wow, interesting. I thought that one of the updates added the option to display results from Netflix on the search bar along with live tv and DVR.

For what galfert said, does the remote thing apply also for the mini version of the remote? I've seen a small version, I dont like the big keyboard.

Well, all the problems about the file sharing and the media player, should probably go away once the android market is available, right? I mean, there will be apps for pretty much everything....hopefully.....

9. galfert

galfert Active Member

The integrated Google TV search will sometimes display Netflix results. I've seen Netflix results show up on very rare cases. I'm not sure why this even happens this way ...it is weird. I mean seriously if it can return a Netflix result then why can't it return all results for Netflix??? Seem like Google may have put in a small sampling of Netflix content in their search database for testing or something. It is so poor I wouldn't even call it half baked initiative. So that is why I said that for all intensive purposes the Netflix database can only be searched with the Netflix app.

The Logitech mini remote may only work for the Logitech Revue (I'm not sure). I've read claims I think that others have made the Logitech mini work with the Sony (but I haven't verified this)....but even if this is the case the A B C D keys and the customizable nature of the Logitech remote keyboards on the Logitech will not carry forward on a Sony. I thought I woudn't like the large keyboard at first but it is rather comfortable and nice that all the keys are easily accessible. The mini remote requires a lot of FN sequences to get to stuff...although it does have a back-light. Another option is to your your phone if you have an Android phone or and iPhone. I really like using my phone with either the Harmony app or the Google TV remote app (I prefer the Google version). With my phone I don't feel I need the mini keyboard remote. Yet another option is to use a real Logitech Harmony remote if you get the Logitech Revue Google TV device. Again another feature that the Sony doesn't have is the ability to control it via IR. The Sony has IR blaster but no IR input from a universal remote. I posted a message in this forum with my list of grievances with the Sony:
    (see second post in the following post thread)
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ripes-about-sony-blu-ray-internet-tv-box.html

File sharing should get better as you said when the market opens soon.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011