Quantcast

Random letters periodically appearing on screen in search box

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by peridoc, Jan 20, 2013.

1. peridoc

peridoc New Member

I have an interesting problem with my Vizio Co-Star. My Co-Star is on a less frequently used (secondary) DirecTV DVR. Practically every time that I switch to the Co-Star input I see the search bar on the screen with seemingly random letters in it (usually a bunch of "q", "i" and "e" mixed together as gibberish). I am not sure where they are coming from and I can not seem to stop them from appearing. Obviously the Co-Star thinks that it is getting input from the remote keyboard, but this is not the case. I have tried a lot of things to get this fixed, including:

1. Replacing the Co-Star device and Remote with new units
    2. Removing the batteries from my Co-Star Remote
    3. Removing all bluetooth devices (i.e. the Co-Star Remote not paired)
    4. Removing all HDMI inputs to the Co-Star
    5. Resetting the device to defaults

Yet I still see these letters appear. I have seen them appear even when watching stuff off of the Co-Star input. This makes it very hard to use as you can be watching something on TV and all the sudden letters pop up in a search box in front of what you were watching. Has anyone seen this behavior and, more importantly, does anyone know what I can do about it? Is there a way to stop the instant search feature from working? Can anyone please help? This makes the box very unusable.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. costar12210

costar12210 New Member

Hi Keith:
    I had the same problem. Its not the costar...it was a remote (other than the costar one) that was sending signals to the costar when the it was not in use!!! Hope this helps.
    Joe

3. peridoc

peridoc New Member

Interesting. I have an AudioSource soundbar and every time I use the remote for that device I seem to get the letters popping up on the Co-Star. (Like when changing volume up or down) Wondering if there is a solution for this. Does not look promising. Wonder if this should be reported to the Vizio Co-Star team.