Quantcast

Random grey crash when only using chrome browser.

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by retroben, Jul 21, 2013.

1. retroben

retroben Active Member

I recently have experienced a crash while I was browsing on a forum page.
    My screen went completely grey,forcing me to replug my Sony box.
    Usually this freeze did not happen unless I used a removable USB stick before using chrome.
    I did not use one this time,and I barely had my box on for a few hours when it decided to crash.
    Usually I can even have it on for 7 or 8 hours without any problems.

I do not expect a fix for this,but I just wonder what is causing it exactly?

I think it is a serious bug with the chrome browser since it is a fairly old linux
    version ported to android instead of a later linux version port or an android phone/tablet version.

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm finding that certain sites cause Chrome to Force Close. Sometime I get the error msg that leaves no other option than to close Chrome. Other times I get the option to wait. Whenever I collect a news article from USA Today I can expect an error msg in Chrome. Same thing happens if I post a Youtube link using the share feature from a news article.

This doesn't bode well for the future of Chrome on GTV...

Fingers crossed

Carl

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I think Chrome on GTV will be a lot more stable after the GTV Jellybean update. A big part of that will be because the GTV Jellybean update will purge Flash from the Chrome browser. Also the Jellybean update comes with a much more modern Chrome browser (Chrome 26). Currently GTV only has Chrome 11. Also after the Jellybean update the Chrome browser will be on a 2 week update cycle.

IMO the only drawback is that the GTV Chrome browser will be positioned as a mobile (android) browser after the Jellybean update. So if you like the full desktop version of Chrome w/ Flash - than the GTV Chrome browser probably won't appeal to you.

It seems after the GTV Jellybean update that the full desktop version of the YouTube web site won't be supported on the GTV Chrome browser. This is because YouTube uses Flash and will be transitioning to their new VP9 codec. Currently only the desktop Chrome 29 beta supports the VP9 codec. It's possible that some time later Google could add VP9 support to the GTV browser via an update - however that is something that I wouldn't count on. If Google adds VP9 support to the mobile Chrome browser - then it will probably eventually come to GTV.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. retroben

retroben Active Member

You forget that Youtube has HTML5,and the upgraded chrome could
    probably add in VP9 codec support through HTML5.

Also,most mobile browsers have User Agent modifiers that allow you to run in full desktop mode.
    I am sure that even the normal mobile version of chrome also has the User Agent switcher.
    Which I assume would mean the new Chrome GTV upgrade will also support UA switching.

Most mobile web browsers also happen to support flash,which
    makes me wonder if they will work in jellybean by using NDK and getting
    an appropriate version of flash.

I think it is a load of BS that they are removing flash completely instead of
    at least replacing it with native NPAPI flash to run on the device itself for offline swf files.
    I'm sure this means no more happy wheels,unless HTML5 can run all SWF files,or
    unless other mobile browsers can run flash correctly in jellybean.

Hopefully the new Chrome for GTV will be able to open the context menu like all
    other mobile browsers by long-pressing anywhere/anything on the page.

They could probably update to Chrome 29 some time after upgrading with
    Chrome 26,and it might support the VP9 codec since they will have NDK to make it work.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Yes VP9 is a version of WebM which is HTML5. However currently it has only been added to the desktop Chrome 29 beta:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/8169-google-releases-chrome-29-beta.html

Sure they "might" add it later to the GTV Chrome browser - but then again they might not. My rule-of-thumb for purchasing devices is if I like the features that it currently has than I buy it. But I never buy on the "hope" that some feature "might" be added later. That can lead to disappointment.....

Also even if the GTV Chrome browser gets VP9 support - our current GTV devices will not have hardware acceleration for VP9. Most Flash videos that GTV currently handles are in the h.264 codec and have hardware acceleration on GTV. I have noticed that Flash formats that don't have hardware accceleration on GTV tend to be choppy. So it remains to be seen how well current GTV devices could handle the VP9 codec with just software decoding.

Yes it's possible that there could be a Flash work-around for GTV after the Jellybean update. We won't know for sure until the Jellybean update actually roles out. But once again a Flash work-around is not something that I would be counting on at this juncture.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I realize this doesn't help the problem, but in case you didn't already try it, you might try pressing Ctrl-Shift-Backspace when a lockup occurs. It seems to get through in most cases, and will reboot the unit and avoid having to disconnect the power.