Quantcast

Ram problem?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by trudinh, May 24, 2011.

1. trudinh

trudinh New Member

OK i heard the logic tech revue has a 4g ram memory and the sony blue ray player has like 256p ram memory.

Will this be a problem for Sony blue ray player when the apps come out.
    i mean wont some apps require alot of ram?

2. slaZ

slaZ New Member

Last edited: May 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

According to this thread on the official Logitech Revue forum - a Logitech employee posted the specific memory details for the Revue (and he mentioned in his posts) that the Revue has a total of 5GB of memory. It was also mentioned elsewhere in that thread that the Sony Blu-ray player has 8GB of memory: Internal Storage capacity? - Logitech Forums

• Like Like x 2
  4. galfert

galfert Active Member

How much NAND Flash a device has and how much RAM it has are totally different things. Also the NAND Flash is used for both the system so part of it is thus reserved and then the remaining part is what the user gets to use for installing apps. This is why there are so many different sizes being reported for the same device....it just depends on what exactly you are referring to. You need to be specific when talking about this subject....you can't just call it all memory.

The Revue has 4GB of NAND Flash. About 3GB is reserved for the system and that leaves 1GB for installing apps. And you can't use this 1GB now because you can't install apps. The pre-installed apps (Netflix, Pandora..etc) all use up part of the 3GB reserve...you'll never be able to uninstall pre-installed apps. The actual amount of RAM the Revue has is 1GB. If you check under Settings/About and scroll down you can see that you have probably around 400 MB remaining (of this 1GB)...this is referring to just the RAM that is not part at all of the 4GB Flash.

So..

4GB Flash Storage (like a hard drive) -- > where about 3GB is system (OS + preloaded apps) and where about 1GB remaining is for installing apps (once the market opens). Flash is not RAM.

1GB of RAM --> That the system uses to run - if you power off (unplug) your device this gets totally wiped...this is not storage. On typical use you have about 400MB free.....if you have a lot of apps running you may have less. On fresh reboot you'll have a bit more.

This is no different from your PC. You a have hard drive for storage (same purpose as Flash storage) and you have RAM to launch and run the OS and your applications while the system it up.

I find it very inappropriate to say that the Revue has 5GB of anything. You can't lump it all together as they are different things. There is 4GB of Flash and 1GB of RAM. You wouldn't say a car has 5 wheels would you? It has 4 wheels and 1 spare....although I know this isn't the best analogy but you get the idea.

The Sony Google TV has 1GB of RAM. And I've read reports that is has 8GB of Flash. Which could potentially be that of this 8GB it could have more than 1GB for installing apps.....we won't know until we can install some apps that are utilities to inspect the flash storage partitions. Same goes for the Ruvue.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  5. trudinh

trudinh New Member

i dont thing sony blue ray player has 1gb ram because when i went to setting and running service it say avil 256mb+74mb memory running.
    so im guess it not close to 1gb of ram.

6. slaZ

slaZ New Member

That number is the amount of memory free, with the rest taken up by Android, services running, Linux kernel, etc.

7. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

My Sony 46" GTV shows 3.8Gb of free storage, so 8Gb of flash storage seems right when you factor the OS image size and loss in translation (1024 bits in 1 byte, yadda yadda).

For clarity's sake:

Storage is storage: Some is long term like NAND flash memory or hard drives (just think of the Google TV or Revue or BluRay box as having a Solid State Hard Drive for long term storage). Long term storage doesn't require refreshing or constant power to 'remember' what was put there. Some storage is short term storage like the RAM used to handle data for running operating systems and currently running programs etc.. This type of RAM memory requires constant power and refreshing to 'remember' what is currently stored in it. When you pull the power the circuits in RAM fall back to all zeros and everything is lost. So it's still storage - just short term.

You have RAM for short term storage because it is FAST. The system can access that storage quickly, read and write to it fast and it's very efficient. Long term storage systems are slower since they have to interface to the system differently (off the system bus, in a part of the system board (or on a device not permanently attached to the system board). Hard drives, USB Flash Drives, Solid State Hard Drives (any other long term storage media) all fall into this class.

Sorry - but that is for the non-techies out there.